Not all chronic pain is central (you can treat chronic pain by fixing the peripheral generator)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are you really touting a retrospective study by a probably biased spine surgeon that used postprocedure phone calls and mailed questionaires to determine results as an indication to come to an conclusion that was not addressed in the study?

can we actually draw such conclusions that you reached?

be noted, i could not find the study online, so only the abstract.

also, no control. do not know (as algos mentions) other treatments that might have greater impact than the surgery itself. uses VAS along with ODI as determination of benefit. of note, it states "symptoms beyond 1 as well as 2 years" - i find the terminology interesting. the assumption is that patients with symptoms >2 years have benefit...

if i did an ESI, called the patient 3 months after by phone myself, and said "your pain did get better, was it more than 2 points (oh and how much Norco do you need?)?", i might be able to write such a study.

(but to draw conclusions about this being central pain getting better with the procedure is an additional leap...)

all above being said, the study also goes against other studies, such as
http://www.thespinejournalonline.com/article/S1529-9430(14)01490-9/abstract
Conclusions
Neck and upper extremity pain can be successfully treated conservatively. In those cases, when surgical intervention is pursued, patients with shorter DOS have better improvement in radiculopathy symptoms that is statistically significant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Epub ahead of print.

2) Ask 101N re chronic = central.

3) Not touting the study for excellence of design. Merely pointing out the fallacy in the argument that patients with chronic pain do not continue to benefit by addressing their peripheral pain generator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 10.50.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 10.50.39 AM.png
    365 KB · Views: 44
Last edited: