(Not) Another Question on Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherJD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's a lot of postbac posts on this forum but found none that really addressed this question so I hope someone can give me some insight.

I'm applying to postbac programs this year (both 1 year and 2 years programs). There are some postbac programs such as Goucher/Bryn Mawr/Scripps that are very well known, offers a great class structure, and a supportive student body. The drawback is that they must be completed in 1 year. Assuming that I get into one of these programs and also get into a lesser known 2 year program, which one would you suggest that I attend? While I know that only I know myself and how well I study, my main concern is not so much the extra year's worth of time but rather the lack of support a 2 year program might have. For example, Goucher offers a class dedicated to postbacs and has a tutor specifically to help you with the MCATs while most 2 year programs do not. The drawback of course is that I would be completing my prereqs in 1 year which is intense for someone who has not taken science in awhile. I was wondering if you think that in light of what programs like these have to offer, that the 1 year pace would be "worth it" and that in the end I (or most premeds in general) would do better with such support at a faster pace than at a program lacking such support but at a slower pace. My undergrad/grad gpa is good so my concern really isn't my ability to study but whether whether taking a full course load of science classes in light of the fact that my last science class was in high school is do-able or a smart decision.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the most important question you need to think about is if you think you can do a 1yr program and maintain good grades. If you can, then it's mostly personal preference about how quickly you want to do things and how busy you want to be. If you're worried about how you'll do with the sciences and afraid that your grades could suffer in a 1yr program, maybe not a good idea.

I did a 1yr program because I was in a hurry and wanted to get to med school as fast as I could. I've heard people argue that 1yr programs are more reflective of the workload of med school - so admissions committees might look more favorably on people who do a 1yr program. I've really no idea if that's true. If you're a good applicant, I don't think they care if you do a 1yr or 2 yr program. In terms of being prepared for the work of med school, I definitely worked equally hard during my postbac program as I did in yrs 1 and 2 of med school.

I think the most important question you need to think about is if you think you can do a 1yr program and maintain good grades. If you can, then it's mostly personal preference about how quickly you want to do things and how busy you want to be. If you're worried about how you'll do with the sciences and afraid that your grades could suffer in a 1yr program, maybe not a good idea.

I did a 1yr program because I was in a hurry and wanted to get to med school as fast as I could. I've heard people argue that 1yr programs are more reflective of the workload of med school - so admissions committees might look more favorably on people who do a 1yr program. I've really no idea if that's true. If you're a good applicant, I don't think they care if you do a 1yr or 2 yr program. In terms of being prepared for the work of med school, I definitely worked equally hard during my postbac program as I did in yrs 1 and 2 of med school.

If it were other subjects I were familiar with (i.e. humanities) I would feel comfortable knowing that I could do well if I put in the effort. I guess my main concern is having never taken any science courses before, I don't know how I will do and normally I would do the 2 year course but the supportive environment of some of these postbacs also seem too give to give up...catch 22.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were other subjects I were familiar with (i.e. humanities) I would feel comfortable knowing that I could do well if I put in the effort. I guess my main concern is having never taken any science courses before, I don't know how I will do and normally I would do the 2 year course but the supportive environment of some of these postbacs also seem too give to give up...catch 22.

Do you know that you definitely want to go to medical school? I took general chemistry and lab at a cheaper state school while working part-time and doing some volunteer work. Then I did organic, physics, and bio concurrently at a 1 yr post-bac program. I wasn't 100% when I took gen chem. So it was nice to be able to do that at a cheaper, state school. When it came down to the final process, I was very glad to be at a smaller postbac program that was highly structured and gave plenty of support.

Do you know that you definitely want to go to medical school? I took general chemistry and lab at a cheaper state school while working part-time and doing some volunteer work. Then I did organic, physics, and bio concurrently at a 1 yr post-bac program. I wasn't 100% when I took gen chem. So it was nice to be able to do that at a cheaper, state school. When it came down to the final process, I was very glad to be at a smaller postbac program that was highly structured and gave plenty of support.

That is definitely a good way to get your feet wet. However, I know a lot of post-bacs won't accept students who have past science courses. Also, it wouldn't make sense for me to get another job and work part time while taking a course on the side and my work schedule is too unpredictable for me to attend class. I'm almost at the point where I wonder if I should just ask the post-bac schools if I can sit in on one of their classes but I am not sure what the protocol for that is and if that is "normal"...especially since they haven't even accepted me yet.

I'm almost at the point where I wonder if I should just ask the post-bac schools if I can sit in on one of their classes but I am not sure what the protocol for that is and if that is "normal"...especially since they haven't even accepted me yet.

Maybe you should just apply to 1 yr and 2 yr programs. Then when you visit and interview, ask students in the program how intense it is?

As for previous science classes, you're definitely right that some programs don't want you to have taken a lot already. I did the Bryn Mawr program, and they were fine with me taking gen chem before their program. But if I'd taken more, it might have been hard.