Not being asked why medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for my last few interviews, I have somehow made it out without being asked why I want to go into medicine...or really any questions at all, actually. In my last interview, me and my interviewer connected over our shared aviation hobby. We talked about our experience as pilots and not once did I get asked about anything related to my clinical experiences, desire to pursue medicine, or anything for that matter.

Leaving these interviews, I initially felt good about how well they went, but now I'm beginning to realize that the interviewers have nothing to support my application. How can they distinguish me from 1000 other applicants?

Just curious to know more about the interview process, really. It makes my head hurt just thinking about all of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So for my last few interviews, I have somehow made it out without being asked why I want to go into medicine...or really any questions at all, actually. In my last interview, me and my interviewer connected over our shared aviation hobby. We talked about our experience as pilots and not once did I get asked about anything related to my clinical experiences, desire to pursue medicine, or anything for that matter.

Leaving these interviews, I initially felt good about how well they went, but now I'm beginning to realize that the interviewers have nothing to support my application. How can they distinguish me from 1000 other applicants?

Just curious to know more about the interview process, really. It makes my head hurt just thinking about all of this.

Yes they do, they asked you questions regarding your activities in hopes to hear you elaborate on what you have put on paper. Hopefully you were able to augments some of those answers and softly direct them into your career in medicine. If not, it's fine. What's done is done. They are there to interview you to assess if they can see you at that school and to see if you have "normal" communication skills to hold a decent conversation.

Reactions: 1 user

You are not alone buddy!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like you're being distinguished from other applicants by your hobbies. Most people have similar reasons for why medicine so I would say it's a good thing that you guys talked about stuff other than medicine.

They probably thought your PS was a strong explanation of why medicine, and had more interesting things to talk to you about.

Reactions: 5 users

They saw your fantastic MCAT and GPA and their minds just went:
mind_blown.gif

And in that post mind-blown haze, they forgot to ask.

Reactions: 3 users
It might be that they didn't ask the question because the answer was clear from your PS.

OR, it might be that they didn't want to hear the canned answer. I never ask "Why Medicine?", or "Why my school?" Or Where do you see yourself in 10 years?' etc.

You got an interview. Have some faith in yourself. Forget this one and prepare for the next.

Reactions: 8 users
This has happened to me before. If I attend there, I very much want to work with this guy and thoroughly enjoyed the conversation, but I didn't even talk much. I was accepted here the very next day. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you let the interviewer set the pace and the topic and stayed personable. I was told over and over that they want to see that you are a person, not a 4.0 automaton. That's certainly my experience.

Last edited:
Personally I never ask the "why medicine?" question directly. In most cases I don't think it's necessary to ask it at all. In the uncommon cases where I'm concerned about someone's knowledge of medicine, I'll evaluate their understanding of medicine in a more indirect way.

Personally I don't feel the need to ask the question because you spend about 3500 characters or whatever it is telling me why. Hopefully you did that successfully.

Reactions: 1 users
I only didn't get asked "Why medicine?" once, and it was in my stress interview. I guess he went with "Why are you the worst person ever" instead. In spirit at least. >_>

It might be that they didn't ask the question because the answer was clear from your PS.

OR, it might be that they didn't want to hear the canned answer. I never ask "Why Medicine?", or "Why my school?" Or Where do you see yourself in 10 years?' etc.

You got an interview. Have some faith in yourself. Forget this one and prepare for the next.

Was just going to say this.

Also, I got the 'where do you see yourself in 10 years' question and I had no idea how to respond. Next time, I'll just say 'in residency'.

This question is asked to see if you have a good sense of what the medical training process is. If you're the typical interviewee, who is in his/her senior year, "ten years from now" would put you well beyond residency....more like "in a group or private practice doing X"

Was just going to say this.

Also, I got the 'where do you see yourself in 10 years' question and I had no idea how to respond. Next time, I'll just say 'in residency'.

You'd be surprised, some individuals can't even answer basic questions about themselves in a coherent manner. I've been in MMIs sitting next to applicants stuttering and constantly saying "like," and going off on tangents. So, if you presented yourself in a professional manner, answered questions thoughtfully, and showed to them you were being yourself, then you should be fine.

This question is asked to see if you have a good sense of what the medical training process is. If you're the typical interviewee, who is in his/her senior year, "ten years from now" would put you well beyond residency....more like "in a group or private practice doing X"
Not exactly 'well beyond' residency...the quickest you'd get out into the real world would be 7 or 8yrs, no? Being in training 10yrs later is hardly improbable...almost a year before you actually matriculate, 4yrs of med school (assuming MD or DO instead of MSTP), 5yrs residency if you go surgical, maybe a research year or so mixed in somewhere, or a few GMO tours if you went HPSP. Heck, maybe even a fellowship. I suppose I'm just not banking on being 'home free' after even 10yrs - this can be a long haul!

Yeah for me it's like MD/MPH and/or research year during medical school both unlikely given I'm not going to start at 21...

Anything surgery is 5ish years residency, so that's 10 years already. Add in a year or two of fellowship depending on what people want to do and it's over a decade already.