Not getting a license on time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cerave23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may not be able to get my license on time (I messed up), so I would have to continue working at the hospital to fulfill requirements (ie I get my license one month late, I will have to work one month extra). Should I might as well give up on fellowships for the foreseeable future?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any medical license?

Let this be a big warning to any CA-3 finishing. You must have an unrestricted medical license (any) by August 31 of the year u take your written boards or the ABA will void your exam.

Unless they changed the rules. I had two colleagues who had their written board scores voided back in 2003 and 2007 because they failed to obtain unrestricted medical licenses by August 31st.

Medical licenses are very easy to obtain especially for US grads with no work history. Even foreign grads with the FCVS organization have it easier.

But you gotta be on the ball. Follow up the requirement documents. Lack of following up is the main reason for delays because some people are just too lazy to check. Takes 5 minutes out of your day to check on status and what's missing.

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't make sense to me.
First clarify, what kind of license are we talking about? It says you are a premed on your profile so I presume that this is incorrect.
Why do you need to work one month "extra" for obtaining a license late? If you start work a month late, then work a month later than everyone else at the end of training, that is not "extra", it's just "later" is all.

First clarify, what kind of license are we talking about? It says you are a premed on your profile so I presume that this is incorrect.
Why do you need to work one month "extra" for obtaining a license late? If you start work a month late, then work a month later than everyone else at the end of training, that is not "extra", it's just "later" is all.

GOOD POINT

I'm involved with credentialing in our large group. Licensing/certification/credentialing issues will be an issue throughout your entire career. Regardless of whether you're an MD or AA or other, you have to pay attention to requirements and deadlines of your certifying body, state, AND hospital medical staff/credentialing. License due every two years? If you don't possess a current license or it can't be verified online, you can't work. Period. Not even a day without it. Certification? Gotta have it. Hospital privileges? Gotta be current, and that of course means meeting all the requirements, or you can't work. If you're lucky, you work in a group like mine where we have our own credentialing staff hounding people to renew/recertify, etc. Yet amazingly, we have at least one or two physicians and anesthetists each year that fail to meet a deadline despite multiple reminders. I guess they enjoy those non-paid days off while their license/certification makes it's way through the queue.

Reactions: 1 user

Sorry, should clarify that I am a resident. And this is for a medical license. It's my fault for submitting forms too late. There was nothing problematic to prevent me from getting licensed. You have to be licensed by the end of 24 months of residency. I have everything submitted by now, it's just hoping it gets approved in time, but if not, I think my program would extend my residency, or rather, push my residency back by however much time it takes to get the license...

Sorry, should clarify that I am a resident. And this is for a medical license. It's my fault for submitting forms too late. There was nothing problematic to prevent me from getting licensed. You have to be licensed by the end of 24 months of residency. I have everything submitted by now, it's just hoping it gets approved in time, but if not, I think my program would extend my residency, or rather, push my residency back by however much time it takes to get the license...

Again, not making sense.

When you are a resident you have a limited medical license in the state that you are a resident in. This is the only requirement for working as a resident. There is no such thing, to my knowledge, as having to have a full license after 24 months of residency, not sure where you are getting that from. You can graduate from a residency program with a limited license and no full license. So why would they push your residency back? It has nothing to do with your residency.

What you normally do, is start applying for a FULL medical license, in the state where you want your new attending job, around 4-6 months prior to finishing residency. At this point, I would apply for a FULL medical license in ANY state where there is quick turn around on your application - like CT or Delaware or Vermont (a small state where there aren't that many doctors). Applying for a license in CA or NY can take up to 6 months but you can get one from those states in about a month or sooner if you explain your situation. Then, you can at least take the boards on time with a valid full medical license, and then get a different state license when you find out where you want to work.

Again, not making sense.

When you are a resident you have a limited medical license in the state that you are a resident in. This is the only requirement for working as a resident. There is no such thing, to my knowledge, as having to have a full license after 24 months of residency, not sure where you are getting that from.
There are certain states with different rules.

For example:
Housestaff must have an unrestricted Wisconsin license by the last month of their second year of GME accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)...

Let this be a reminder to residents. Don't mess around. Take Step 3 in intern year (usually latter half of intern year if possible). Once you get your Step 3 scores, get your medical license.