Not in school and jobless while applying WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglova

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,
I applied last cycle and didnt get accepted. Doing some reflection, I had a job with a somewhat toxic environment which involved working 12-16 hours a day, including weekends, and just didn’t have enough bandwidth/ self esteem to put together a decent app.

My gap year job contract is expiring at the end of the year which means if I don’t renew I’ll likely be jobless next year and covid might make it difficult to find a new job. I was wondering how bad it would look if hypothetically I was applying and I neither had a job nor was I in school. Money isn’t an issue at this time and I could use a break. What excuses would be decent if adcoms happen to ask? How likely is it that adcoms will notice. @Goro @Faha @whoever else

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied last cycle and didnt get accepted. Doing some reflection, I had a job with a somewhat toxic environment which involved working 12-16 hours a day, including weekends, and just didn’t have enough bandwidth/ self esteem to put together a decent app.

My gap year job contract is expiring at the end of the year which means if I don’t renew I’ll likely be jobless next year and covid might make it difficult to find a new job. I was wondering how bad it would look if hypothetically I was applying and I neither had a job nor was I in school. Money isn’t an issue at this time and I could use a break. What excuses would be decent if adcoms happen to ask? How likely is it that adcoms will notice. @Goro @Faha @whoever else
Good luck in your job search. Unlike the traditional hiring process, I don't think it matters in med school admissions if you are between jobs when you submit an application.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently applying not in school, unemployed and schools haven't blinked an eye--some even seem to like what I'm doing since it's unique. They do ask "What are you doing right now" and you'll want a decent answer. I was able to tie my nonacademic/nonmedical hobbies into how I could better connect to patients, so you can get creative with what your gap year activities mean to you and your future.

Reactions: 1 user