Not making resident dinner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuromonster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, due to scheduling difficulties it seems I will have no choice but to miss the gathering with the residents the night before my interview at a place I'm extremely interested in. Assuming my interview goes well, how much would not attending hurt my chances? I've heard program directors place a lot of value on how your interactions with the current residents go...

Members don't see this ad.

I think it varies depending on the place. At my current residency, I don't think it would be viewed as that big of a deal.
However, back when I was interviewing, I do think there were certain places that were unhappy that I couldn't make it to their dinners. At one place, it was clear that they considered their pre-interview social "the first day of the interview" and the Chair of the dept even gave a talk that night. The chair seemed unhappy that I had missed it when I met with him during the interview day, even though I had explained that I was interviewing in the midst of an internship and I couldn't get the extra day off.

If you just can't make it, all you can do is express your reasons clearly and express your interest in other ways. Hopefully they'll understand. If they can't be understanding/flexible about it, maybe that's just a sign that they're not the right place for you.

I guess you could offer to come another week (assuming this place isn't a flight or 6 hour drive away) or come the night before your second look. Then you don't look as though you're not motivated just having a schedule conflict.

I guess you could offer to come another week (assuming this place isn't a flight or 6 hour drive away) or come the night before your second look. Then you don't look as though you're not motivated just having a schedule conflict.

You make it sound like it's standard or even widely acceptable to go for a second look visit. From what I've heard it doesn't do you any good and most places actually hate when students even request it.

You make it sound like it's standard or even widely acceptable to go for a second look visit. From what I've heard it doesn't do you any good and most places actually hate when students even request it.

How about something citeable besides this questionable hearsay:

"Once you have interviewed and narrowed your list to a few programs, you may return for a "second look". Remember, the next few years (generally, hard ones) of your life will be spent at that program. It is imperative that you choose wisely. Not only for yourself, but for your family and spouse as well."

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/abo...dency-application-information-procedures.page

Second looks are reasonable for top choices. It's more to help the applicant decide than anything (like the dinner itself).

Second looks are a good idea for top candidates because it gives you another chance to kick the tires.

If you are a marginal candidate then there is more of a "why is this person wasting our time, we're not going to rank him that highly anyway" type of feel.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk

Programs seem to be very understanding about missing resident dinners. I get the impression that the resident dinners are meant more for the applicants and would only factor into ranking if you did something extraordinarily suspect. But then again I'm applying to Peds where everyone is warm & fuzzy...

So, due to scheduling difficulties it seems I will have no choice but to miss the gathering with the residents the night before my interview at a place I'm extremely interested in. Assuming my interview goes well, how much would not attending hurt my chances? I've heard program directors place a lot of value on how your interactions with the current residents go...

I missed a resident dinner the other night and literally every one I ran into during the interview day asked, "So...did you make the resident dinner?" or "How was the resident dinner?"....Which basically meant that I had to explain to each one of my interviewers, the program director, the other residents giving the tour, the program coordinator and the assistant program coordinator why I missed the resident dinner. Literally, I probably explained myself about 9 times. In the end, I think it was just more annoying to me than detrimental to my whole interview. However, I think part of it had to do with how well the interview went as well. I think by missing the resident dinner the night before that I did start the morning off on the wrong foot but I was able to make it right later. Either way, just have a good reason on why you are missing the dinner and be prepared to repeat yourself numerous times and you should be okay.

I missed a resident dinner the other night and literally every one I ran into during the interview day asked, "So...did you make the resident dinner?" or "How was the resident dinner?"....

And this doesn't necessarily mean that they were judging you negatively for not being there. It's quite possible that people were just asking about the dinner to make conversation and don't really care that you didn't go to the dinner.

And this doesn't necessarily mean that they were judging you negatively for not being there. It's quite possible that people were just asking about the dinner to make conversation and don't really care that you didn't go to the dinner.

They don't judge you on attendance, per se, but in some small sense it might be used to gauge interest in the program. if possible you should always go to these because residents do get to weigh in, the PD does care which applicants his residents want to work with, and someone who shows up and makes a good impression can easily jump ahead of you on the rank list.

And the dinner is also a good source of info about the program from residents that you simply aren't going to get otherwise. Forget second looks, it's not the same. I personally would consider the pre- interview dinner a part of the interview itself. It's "optional", but not unimportant.

More importantly in terms of the questioning mentioned above, however, the dinner is a big part of how a program sells itself and so PDs genuinely like feedback as to what applicants thought about it. If applicants thought too few residents showed up or the venue was too loud, these things are fixable and important to hear.