not matching into child psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardles888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
Id really like to do a child fellowship after the psychiatry residency, but I read that if I apply to enter into the fellowship after my third year and dont match, I lose my fourth year spot. What happens in that case? Are you screwed in terms of practicing? It seems like a huge gamble. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys
Id really like to do a child fellowship after the psychiatry residency, but I read that if I apply to enter into the fellowship after my third year and dont match, I lose my fourth year spot. What happens in that case? Are you screwed in terms of practicing? It seems like a huge gamble. thanks!
Why would you lose your 4th year spot? Do you think your program would hate you that much?

I did my 3 year general psychiatry residency in one program, and applied to a handful of child psych programs in other states. I ended up matching into the child psych residency spot of my choice (it wasn't super competitive).

I did talk with my program director before and after the match and let him know when I did match, because this freed the program budget up so he could possibly match an extra upcoming PGY1. The whole process was no surprise to him since he had to fill out forms, give recommendations, and approve my time off for interviewing. It wasn't his first rodeo or anything. He was sad to see me go, but appreciates residents with some ambition. If fellowship hadn't worked out, I would have just stayed put in my General Psych program as a PGY4. I'm pretty sure that's how it usually goes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can verify that this is 100% not true. I mean that you lose your PGY4 spot. You definitely not do that.

Also, you will match in child. It's almost impossible no to.

Last edited:
Hogwash. A program has nothing to gain by not keeping you on as a PGY-4 (the years don't get replaced in residency) and loses a provider in clinic and potentially call.