Not Real Math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timbo0984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a class - special dean seminar - sophmore year called Math of Social Choice and Politics. The course was 80% political theory - intense stuff, and like 20% election games and stupid math. Due to the tough political stuff I got like a C or C+ in the course. Can I not include it in my science gpa and say it was more of polisci course than a math course? how bout psych, should i leave it to amcas who has it under behavioral science or how do i get around classes that aren't bio, chem, physics, calc, or statistics. Luckily, in those 5 i just mentioned, i did really welt. Just stupid psych and polisci math. What can i do?

Timbo

Members don't see this ad.

Look at your catalog and see how your school classifies it. If its classified as politics, then I would do so. But from the sounds of it, it sounds more like a nonsci class. So I would put it under political science, which is not part of the BCPM

Timbo0984 said:
I took a class - special dean seminar - sophmore year called Math of Social Choice and Politics. The course was 80% political theory - intense stuff, and like 20% election games and stupid math. Due to the tough political stuff I got like a C or C+ in the course. Can I not include it in my science gpa and say it was more of polisci course than a math course? how bout psych, should i leave it to amcas who has it under behavioral science or how do i get around classes that aren't bio, chem, physics, calc, or statistics. Luckily, in those 5 i just mentioned, i did really welt. Just stupid psych and polisci math. What can i do?

Timbo

What was the class code? I took classes in political science that were heavily math-based (positive political theory), but the class codes were definately political science. Psych is psych, not science, so don't risk try to put them under science and be embarassed when AMCAS forcibly changes it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately that course was MTH 951, but it had the option of meeting a poli sci or math requirment but i obviously no one will know that, theyll just see MTH, be like oh, its a math class and he got a C. That more or less correct?

Well the course name does show up on the AMCAS app, so they'll know it was poli sci math or whatever it was. You should still be fine as long as your overall BCPM and cumulative GPAs are competitive; a lot of people have gotten C's or worse.

Psych is a behavioral science, so it doesn't get calculated into the BCPM GPA.