Not Sure How to Proceed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asingh13

fridaythethirteenth
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an upper junior at a college in New York but in terms of credits, I'm an upper senior and due for graduation. I'm pretty worried about my chances of being accepted into medical school. Here are my stats:

Cumulative GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: 2.84

These classes were transfer credits from my high school into college:
Bio 101: A-
Bio 102: A-
Chem 101: A-
Chem 102: A-
Calc 1: B-

These classes I took in college:
F in Orgo Chem I, retook it and got a B-
C+ in Orgo Chem II
C+ in Physics I
Currently taking Physics II

Havent taken the MCAT yet, will probably take it this summer.

ECs:

-Vice President of a Volunteer Club

-Member of a Health Policy group that writes health policy proposals for possible implementation. I co-wrote a mental health policy that was listed as one of the Top Health Policies Nationwide.

-Will start an internship in the next week volunteering in a hospital doing social outreach with patients.

My cGPA is a lot higher than my sGPA because I am a Political Science major and I generally do a lot better in humanities and social science courses. My pre-med advisor told me to do a Graduate Program in the sciences, but I think I should just continue in undergraduate and take as many science classes as possible to increase my sGPA. I would really appreciate honest advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. You need to finish your poly-science and then go to a post-bac and do really well. With an F and Cs, you don't stand a chance at getting into med school. But, then again, med school is exactly what you hated in UG: tests, science, more tests, more and more science. Tell me again why you want to go to med school?
asingh said:
I generally do a lot better in humanities and social science courses