Not sure how/what to study for MCAT, should I buy a prep course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LYSsuhDUDE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking the MCAT at the end of April. So far, I have access to some of the AAMC materials (thanks to the FAP program) and I have the set of Kaplan books. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to study and what exactly to study. I've looked at Khan Academy and there is just so much there. I am able to purchase Kaplan for $1000 (since I have a discount code) compared to the $2500, is it worth it? Who has had good experiences with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Prep class if you /really/ are undisciplined. I used one of the MCAT study guides made here (jelly) and did fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I agree completely with what FCMike is saying. Only buy a course if you think you lack the discipline to make yourself sit down and study every day, or do not feel comfortable figuring out a standardized test. If you can do this there is no reason you can't use the set of books and the materials you have to do well. There are certainly people, though, who do benefit greatly from taking courses. It just takes some self-evaluation and reflection as to if you think dropping $1,000 is worth the potential benefit.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user