Not sure if I should be more assertive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipressurexd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school has this OB/GYN rotation where we are given access to the Labor and Delivery department and OB triage. In the orientation, we were told we were allowed to see every patient coming into triage, then we might have the opportunity to present to the pt to the attending. On top of that, we can get involved in delivery by seeing the patients currently admitted.

Today I had a new attending, who initially pulled me aside and said to see the pts and ask to present when he comes by to see them himself. In the morning, he allowed me to observe him deliver and take part in delivering the placenta. However, in the afternoon after I saw the first triage pt, I asked to present to him and he said 1 moment and had to take care of something. When he returned in the evening, I was waiting to present this patient, but he saw this patient himself. On the way out, he winked at me before discharging the patient.

During this time, I had also seen another triage patient that came in. Even later in the evening, the attending walked past me, clapped my on the shoulder, and asked if I was doing alright. I reflexively told him yes, then he went to see the 2nd triage patient. Should I have asked to present the 2nd triage patient that came in during this time? I feel like I missed an opportunity to show at least I was doing something.

I understand his time is extremely valuable and I had no issues with missing the presentation on the first patient, but am I not being assertive enough? Should I have pushed to present this second patient?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's fine to ask again to present a patient. **** happens when you're an attending, and maybe he just lost track of time with something else and forgot with that first patient. I don't think you'll come off as annoying or anything. Plus you're a student, so this guy has an obligation to do his best to teach you. If the pattern continues, you could say something to the effect of, "Hey, I know you're busy, but I was hoping I'd be able to present some patients today. I'm very interested in this speciality, and your feedback would be really valuable."

Reactions: 1 user
So my school has this OB/GYN rotation where we are given access to the Labor and Delivery department and OB triage. In the orientation, we were told we were allowed to see every patient coming into triage, then we might have the opportunity to present to the pt to the attending. On top of that, we can get involved in delivery by seeing the patients currently admitted.

Today I had a new attending, who initially pulled me aside and said to see the pts and ask to present when he comes by to see them himself. In the morning, he allowed me to observe him deliver and take part in delivering the placenta. However, in the afternoon after I saw the first triage pt, I asked to present to him and he said 1 moment and had to take care of something. When he returned in the evening, I was waiting to present this patient, but he saw this patient himself. On the way out, he winked at me before discharging the patient.

During this time, I had also seen another triage patient that came in. Even later in the evening, the attending walked past me, clapped my on the shoulder, and asked if I was doing alright. I reflexively told him yes, then he went to see the 2nd triage patient. Should I have asked to present the 2nd triage patient that came in during this time? I feel like I missed an opportunity to show at least I was doing something.

I understand his time is extremely valuable and I had no issues with missing the presentation on the first patient, but am I not being assertive enough? Should I have pushed to present this second patient?
I think it's fine to ask again to present a patient. **** happens when you're an attending, and maybe he just lost track of time with something else and forgot with that first patient. I don't think you'll come off as annoying or anything. Plus you're a student, so this guy has an obligation to do his best to teach you. If the pattern continues, you could say something to the effect of, "Hey, I know you're busy, but I was hoping I'd be able to present some patients today. I'm very interested in this speciality, and your feedback would be really valuable."
This is great advice. You don't realize how literally useless and invisible you are to most practical situations as a medical student (not a knock, just wait lol). It is very possible and probably true that he got distracted with something and forgot. Lightly broach the topic again as @EthylMethylMan suggested. Just don't be annoying (this goes for everything as a medical student fyi lol). From what you said, seems like the attending already likes/gets along with you so that's great!

Also, as a medical student, you rarely get positive affirmation from higher ups, but from your question you seem to have the right attitude without being too ridiculous/entitled. Believe in yourself, and kill it. You got this!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both. I feel pretty useless in any practical situation to be honest LOL which I know is the truth and where I stand atm in my education. I am going to keep chugging along and trying to see every triage pt and procedure that comes my way.

It's hard sometimes because I see the pts after the nurses and they already reported to the attending. When the attending goes to see triage pt I try to sneak in and listen then ask questions as they are leaving the room (let me know if this is inappropriate pls).