Not sure if there are any programs related to my research interests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lumpyduster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking again about MD/PhD, but I realized I have a strong interest the field of nanomedicine/bio-inspired materials.

I'm a chemist and all these labs that do hardcore molecular bio really do not interest me (BUT I have never done molecular bio day in and day out, so maybe it would grow on me?). Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to find a program with a mentor who does these sort of things? I know the big names in the field, since a lot of them are part of chemistry departments, but I think very few/none of them have had an MD/PhD student.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea. Is it? I just worked in a lab with a ton of nanotech collaborators and I just think it's so cool

Do you think not having a background in BME would be a disadvantage?

No idea. Is it? I just worked in a lab with a ton of nanotech collaborators and I just think it's so cool

Do you think not having a background in BME would be a disadvantage?
I have no idea. Hell, I don't even know WTF you're talking about.

I realize you were probably 3 in the 90s but, back then, people talked about "molecular biology" as if it were it's own discipline, when in fact, it was basically just a collection of experimental techniques. Which is what I suspect "nanomedicine" or "nanobiology" is.

Now get off my damn lawn.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe for people unfamiliar with the field, it's like the development of gold nanoparticles as a cancer treatment or the use of viruses for imaging contrast agents. Bio-inspired materials is a bit different, but can be a type of nanotechnology (like using the ability of viruses to overcome a large range of chemical and biological impediments to deliver cargo to specific cells for drug delivery or gene therapy). The waxy coating of a particular type of leaf has been utilized to create anti-fouling surfaces with applications in medical implants. But all these people are part of chemistry or materials engineering departments.

I don't just want to do a PhD in this, however. I want to be able to see patients and have the MD degree.

Another interest of mine, which is totally unrelated, is development of novel medical imaging techniques. I have no experience with this, but it's something I think is exciting and I'd think it's probably fairly quantitative/physics-based, which I like. How much does prior research background matter in MD/PhD programs? I heard for most PhD programs, it certainly helps to have done similar research, but, in general, they know you're going to be teaching yourself so much about your project anyway, if you're willing and motivated to overcome that extra learning curve someone will take you on.

:D I still like the term nanomedicine, but I'll start using the words "materials chemistry" or "materials engineering" instead haha. I get that nanomedicine is kind of a particular subset of materials, but it's still a pretty broad field. I was looking at a few MSTP sites and I saw that there's a fair amount of professors for me to work with if I want to go down that road.

Yay, more nanomed applicants!!

As you noted, there are plenty of researchers who will fit your interests all over the country. That said, I would definitely avoid saying you want to work in nanomedicine. People outside of the field (like our wonderful mods above) will think you are being too specific or relying on meaning less buzzwords. People with experience in the field will find that answer incredibly vague as it could mean anything from inorganic synthesis to toxicology or colloid physics. Either way, I agree that sticking with "materials science" would be best if you primarily want to work in synthesis and characterization.

On the other hand, if you are really interested in the physics side of things (like me!) consider looking into physical chemistry and molecular biophysics labs focusing on nanoparticles. You may find some labs that combine your materials science and molecular imaging interests. For example, I work with iron oxide nanoparticles (Get it...? Nanorust? Teehee) which are used for MRI contrast.

For the mods, "nanomedicine" isn't the new "molecular biology," it is the new "polymers." There are many kinds of nanomaterials (carbon-based, metals, metal oxides, silicates, and ceramics to name a few), and none of them have anything to do with the others as far as properties and possible uses are concerned.