Not sure what I should ask this 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go into anesthesiology and I'm especially interested in a specific program because of geographic reasons. A 4th year at my school got into said program, so I figure I should contact her....but I'm not exactly sure what I should ask her??

Would it be uncouth to ask her for her stats (step scores, grades, etc)?

I know this is kinda ridiculous, but I just want to be sure I play all my cards correctly. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to go into anesthesiology and I'm especially interested in a specific program because of geographic reasons. A 4th year at my school got into said program, so I figure I should contact her....but I'm not exactly sure what I should ask her??

Would it be uncouth to ask her for her stats (step scores, grades, etc)?

I know this is kinda ridiculous, but I just want to be sure I play all my cards correctly. Thanks guys.

Well if she just matched, there's not a lot she could tell you about the program besides whatever she remembers from interview day (which usually fades after going on a dozen interviews). It's not unreasonable to ask what "typical" stats are for that program, or what she thinks helped her get in there (away, 2nd look, etc).

It's always really helpful to have contacts at a given program you're interested in. Even more than getting information now, you want to keep in touch enough that you can ask for help when you're actually applying.

If you're not close, don't ask her stats. Do ask her, like PMPMD stated, what she thinks will help you get into the program/what she did to differentiate herself/what suggestions she has, realizing she may not have any. Also, it may not have been one of her top choices, so don't assume she's thrilled about the match either.

I would just chat with her, tell her you'd love to match there, and would it be ok if you get in touch with her once she starts and you're interviewing/applying? If she will still be in her prelim/trans year when you are interviewing, then you can ask her the stuff in the first paragraph now. If she will be a CA-1 when you're applying, she might actually have some input into the match, so you want to keep her on your good side. Good luck.

If you're not close, don't ask her stats. Do ask her, like PMPMD stated, what she thinks will help you get into the program/what she did to differentiate herself/what suggestions she has, realizing she may not have any. Also, it may not have been one of her top choices, so don't assume she's thrilled about the match either.

I would just chat with her, tell her you'd love to match there, and would it be ok if you get in touch with her once she starts and you're interviewing/applying? If she will still be in her prelim/trans year when you are interviewing, then you can ask her the stuff in the first paragraph now. If she will be a CA-1 when you're applying, she might actually have some input into the match, so you want to keep her on your good side. Good luck.

If you DID ask her stats and they were WAY better than your's, would you give up on applying there? If her stats were equal or worse than your's, would you slack off and work less hard? Of course not, so asking risks offending her, but doesn't change your plan in any way.