Not sure what to do in my situation, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robot Unicorn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a bit of a complicated situation.

Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: ~3.4
Graduated from UC Irvine

MCAT:
PS: 7
Verbal: 11
BS: 8

ECs:
-currently working full time in research and development at a medical device company as a lab assistant
-tutoring a highschool kid with ADD on the side
-Research for 3 years working with infant medical charts and maternal mental health status
-Presented research findings for two posters at Society for Research in Child development conference and have another conference for Pediatric Academic Society where I am giving a talk. Also going to start working on the paper to publish these findings
-College genetics and biochem tutor for 2+ years
-Resident Advisor for 1+ years
-~200 hours in clinical volunteer work at a medical clinic in a halfway house
-~100+ hours serving in a kitchen at the same halfway house
-~200 hours reading to kids in doctors offices to promote early literacy
-pharmacy clerk for 2 years

So here's where it gets complicated:
I was in my fifth year as of this fall getting my second degree in art history (first one in biology finished spring 2012) and at the end of the quarter I somehow ended up with appendicitis and had to withdraw from classes so I decided to withdraw from school entirely and start working instead. This was about 2 months before my MCAT and I was studying while recovering, but then I got 2 flus in a row. I decided to take my MCAT anyways because I had already studied twice before for it and had to void my score or cancel because of other illnesses like ovarian cysts (probably too much detail) and arthritis in my back. Overall, my whole MCAT experience did not go how I thought it would. Just goes to show that you can never really plan your life or expect it to go in a predictable manner.

So what are my chances? Should I even be applying to MD schools? I would be fine going DO, but I am just trying to figure it all out. I have an interesting story I guess, but I am not sure if that or my ECs will even make a difference considering my low MCAT...

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my stats:
Graduated from UC Irvine

MCAT:

ECs:
-currently working full time in research and development at a medical device company as a lab assistant
-Research for 3 years working with infant medical charts and maternal mental health status
-Presented research findings for two posters at Society for Research in Child development conference and have another conference for Pediatric Academic Society where I am giving a talk. Also going to start working on the paper to publish these findings

I was in my fifth year as of this fall getting my second degree in art history (first one in biology finished spring 2012) and at the end of the quarter I somehow ended up with appendicitis and had to withdraw from classes so I decided to withdraw from school entirely and start working instead. This was about 2 months before my MCAT and I was studying while recovering, but then I got 2 flus in a row. I decided to take my MCAT anyways because I had already studied twice before for it and had to void my score or cancel because of other illnesses like ovarian cysts (probably too much detail) and arthritis in my back. Overall, my whole MCAT experience did not go how I thought it would. Just goes to show that you can never really plan your life or expect it to go in a predictable manner.

So what are my chances? Should I even be applying to MD schools? I would be fine going DO, but I am just trying to figure it all out. I have an interesting story I guess, but I am not sure if that or my ECs will even make a difference considering my low MCAT...
You should be ok for DO IMO....

Don't bother with MD unless you are willing to retake the MCAT and can get a balanced 30+. Right now, that MCAT will get you automatically screened out at a lot of places - your ECs won't even be looked at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't bother with MD unless you are willing to retake the MCAT and can get a balanced 30+. Right now, that MCAT will get you automatically screened out at a lot of places - your ECs won't even be looked at.

Agree :thumbup: Retake that MCAT if you want and aim for a more balanced AND higher score

Your GPAs are below avg for MD programs, and the MCAT especially so. If you retook the MCAT and got >30, then youmight have a shot at some of the low tier programs.

You're fine right now for any DO program.

No amount of ECs will make up for below-avg numbers, save for serving in the military, and perhaps, first-responders.

Here are my stats:
Graduated from UC Irvine

MCAT:

ECs:

Hm. I wonder if it would be a good idea to maybe mention some of these things in your PS without actually mentioning them (or if one of the people writing you a letter can mention them for you). Maybe something along the lines of understanding how difficult it can be to deal with illnesses...I don't know.

Maybe someone else has better ideas.

If you are set on MD then you absolutely must retake the MCAT. Your score is low. I think if you can get a 30+ you will have a shot at some schools.