Not sure whether to use updated TBR or EK 9th ed. for main content review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dboyhaaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First off, there's no TL;DR for this post so I apologize in advance for the long wall of text.

I'm signed up for the exam on 9/10, the last test date of the year. I'm hoping to beast this exam once and never look back. I'm out of college and currently not working which makes the MCAT my main priority.

As I mentioned before, I'm out of college but I've been out for 2 years now and its been 3 years since I took my last prerequisite course. Aside from a few "fun facts," I don't remember much despite being a biology major. However, I'm pretty confident that it will come back to me as I go through the material.

I have EK's 2015 set, the recently updated BR set (excluding their psychology book), TPR Psych/Soc. book, TPRH verbal, and all of the AAMC material. I'll also be using KA videos to fill in the blanks left out of my books.

I had a consult with mcatmatt. He is a former MCAT tutor who scored in the upper thirties on the old exam and more recently a 526 on the new exam. The man is a genius if I say so myself so I will be plugging in his blog. He said regardless of how long you have been out of school TBR is the way to go because they over prepare you.

Rightfully so, I should probably take his advice right? I mean, the guy got a freakin' 526! Here's my problem. I was going through the first chapter of TBR's gen chem book and had a hard time figuring out how to approach learning the content. At first I was reading the in-chapter examples and solutions without attempting them. This wasn't really working for me so I went on SDN and found a post where someone was having a similar issue. The other members said you should attempt the examples yourself before reading the solutions. I had a feeling this was how you're supposed to approach TBR but I don't know if this will work for me. My problem is that I forgot the material. How am I supposed to attempt the examples if I don't know where to start? From my anecdotal searchings of SDN and /r/MCAT, everyone suggests TBR is the best if you've been out of the game for a few years.

Am I crazy for bringing this up? Or an just an idiot?

If I were to use EK's set for the purpose of learning the material and TBR for practice passages (like mcatjelly's plan; a chapter a day / a few TBR practice passages) would I be missing out on valuable information? I also read the updated TBR books, specifically Orgo, are the best out there for MCAT content review. The way I reason it is if I use EK then it will allow me to get through the content much faster, giving me extra time to do more practice passages and even more FLs.

Another thing I like about EK over TBR is they prepare you for the research based passages you will encounter on the exam. Being able to analyze scientific studies is important for this exam right? From the chapters I've skimmed through, I don't think TBR addresses this at all (unless I didn't look hard enough).

That being said, my concern with EK is missing out on key information and running into unfamiliar topics on test day. If I were to supplement whatever's missing from EK with Khan videos and TPR Psych/Soc book, would I be okay using TBR solely for practice passages? Or would it be foolish to ignore TBR's updated content review?

If I use TBR for my main content review, should I just watch KA videos beforehand that correspond with the chapter so I have somewhat of an idea of how to solve the in-chapter examples? How would I prepare myself for analyzing scientific research passages if I'm using TBR.

I posted this on /r/mcat as well.

Thanks guys, I feel really dumb asking these questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh hey :) I'm actually in the same boat as you are (just got done with school, haven't taken a science class in a while). I find the TBR to be difficult too, especially since I don't really remember some of the concepts. A lot of the times they'll ask you a question, and then explain it to you afterwards. Or if the concept they're talking about isn't covered, they'll cover it in a next chapter or next section. It's a bit disorganized in that manner, but it's sort of works out as you go through the book. I feel like the questions they plug are so you can actually learn from them, not for you to necessarily always get right. That way, you know where your weaknesses are. I would highly recommend you to slow down and go back to concepts you don't understand. Look online for extra review or supplement in the EK for simpler explanations. I really enjoy Khan videos. I'm doing that right now :). Maybe we can link up and keep each other accountable and motivate one another! I know for a fact that I was racing through a lot of the material, and now I need to go back to review some of the TBR chapters. :)

Oh hey :) I'm actually in the same boat as you are (just got done with school, haven't taken a science class in a while). I find the TBR to be difficult too, especially since I don't really remember some of the concepts. A lot of the times they'll ask you a question, and then explain it to you afterwards. Or if the concept they're talking about isn't covered, they'll cover it in a next chapter or next section. It's a bit disorganized in that manner, but it's sort of works out as you go through the book. I feel like the questions they plug are so you can actually learn from them, not for you to necessarily always get right. That way, you know where your weaknesses are. I would highly recommend you to slow down and go back to concepts you don't understand. Look online for extra review or supplement in the EK for simpler explanations. I really enjoy Khan videos. I'm doing that right now :). Maybe we can link up and keep each other accountable and motivate one another! I know for a fact that I was racing through a lot of the material, and now I need to go back to review some of the TBR chapters. :)

Yeah for sure! We can definitely link up!

I'm going to start on Monday and use tomorrow to read the Reasoning Skills, Math, and Research book from EK. This way I'll have an idea on how to approach research based passages and have some strategies for CARS.

Just for the record, because there was confusion on /r/MCAT, I'm talking about the examples and solutions within the chapter (such as Ch1. Gen Chem). Not the end of the chapter passages. So for instance, one of the examples early in Ch1. Gen Chem asks you to calculate the density of an object. How would one go about approaching the problem if they didn't know how to calculate density without looking at the solution? I'm asking because there was another thread where SDN members were advising you work the examples without peeking at the solutions but if you forgot everything then how can you attempt the examples without looking at the solution?

Yeah for sure! We can definitely link up!

I'm going to start on Monday and use tomorrow to read the Reasoning Skills, Math, and Research book from EK. This way I'll have an idea on how to approach research based passages and have some strategies for CARS.

Just for the record, because there was confusion on /r/MCAT, I'm talking about the examples and solutions within the chapter (such as Ch1. Gen Chem). Not the end of the chapter passages. So for instance, one of the examples early in Ch1. Gen Chem asks you to calculate the density of an object. How would one go about approaching the problem if they didn't know how to calculate density without looking at the solution? I'm asking because there was another thread where SDN members were advising you work the examples without peeking at the solutions but if you forgot everything then how can you attempt the examples without looking at the solution?
I'm talking about those questions as well :) You're allowed to look if you can't answer the problems. Right now, since you're reviewing, the goal is to understand as much as you can. If you can't answer a problem, that's fine. That just means that's your weak spot and should spend extra time learning the concept. Those questions are meant to guide you and explain how to come up with certain answers. I don't really look at those questions as things that are meant to quiz me, they're more of a learning tool. You'll notice that some of the questions will be on concepts they haven't covered yet (but they usually do, either in the next section, or a few pages over). So it's safe to say that they don't expect you to always get the question right away.

The questions towards the back of the chapter is where you'll want to "test" yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if this help, the first chapter in gen. is really hard. I don't know why. but it gets better lol

Reactions: 1 users
I used EK 2015 mostly and had an old set of TBR and found them much better for content review than EK for subjects that I hadn't had in a long time. EK really just tells the main points which is nice, but I need to understand the concept before memorizing the equation and TBR is better for that. Im 8 years out of most of my pre-reqs, and EK just doesn't do a great job of explaining concept IMO. They're great if you've learned the material recently, but not so much if you haven't taken the classes in a long time. The 30 min in class EK exams are really hard and good practice, tho, as long as you don't get too down on yourself bc of your score lol.

Use both. TBR is better than EK for both details and passage, but EK is good to read after a long day of studying to relearn everything in a more simple format. Also, EK 30 min exams are awesome practice.

There's my 15 buck...I mean...2 cents :)

I'm talking about those questions as well :) You're allowed to look if you can't answer the problems. Right now, since you're reviewing, the goal is to understand as much as you can. If you can't answer a problem, that's fine. That just means that's your weak spot and should spend extra time learning the concept. Those questions are meant to guide you and explain how to come up with certain answers. I don't really look at those questions as things that are meant to quiz me, they're more of a learning tool. You'll notice that some of the questions will be on concepts they haven't covered yet (but they usually do, either in the next section, or a few pages over). So it's safe to say that they don't expect you to always get the question right away.

The questions towards the back of the chapter is where you'll want to "test" yourself.

Ok thanks I just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong but I guess I'll stick to TBR then and supplement with EK/use their 30 minute exams!

I used EK 2015 mostly and had an old set of TBR and found them much better for content review than EK for subjects that I hadn't had in a long time. EK really just tells the main points which is nice, but I need to understand the concept before memorizing the equation and TBR is better for that. Im 8 years out of most of my pre-reqs, and EK just doesn't do a great job of explaining concept IMO. They're great if you've learned the material recently, but not so much if you haven't taken the classes in a long time. The 30 min in class EK exams are really hard and good practice, tho, as long as you don't get too down on yourself bc of your score lol.

Yeah I think I just had a little "pre-anxiety" before starting to really study. I'll be sticking to TBR and maybe watch some KA related videos beforehand so I'm a little familiar with whatever I'm reading. Thanks for the input!

Ok thanks I just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong but I guess I'll stick to TBR then and supplement with EK/use their 30 minute exams!

Yeah I think I just had a little "pre-anxiety" before starting to really study. I'll be sticking to TBR and maybe watch some KA related videos beforehand so I'm a little familiar with whatever I'm reading. Thanks for the input!
I understand, I looked at countless reviews of the study materials, too. In the end, go with what works for you. If you find TBR isn't working, then switch to EK. Stick with a study schedule but don't feel tied to one set of books. I ended up reading both TBR and EK for most sections and there were tips in each that worked well for me on different subjects. Don't save practice tests til the end either, I followed EK's home study schedule which recommends a full length pretty early on and I'm glad I did that to start working on stamina.

I understand, I looked at countless reviews of the study materials, too. In the end, go with what works for you. If you find TBR isn't working, then switch to EK. Stick with a study schedule but don't feel tied to one set of books. I ended up reading both TBR and EK for most sections and there were tips in each that worked well for me on different subjects. Don't save practice tests til the end either, I followed EK's home study schedule which recommends a full length pretty early on and I'm glad I did that to start working on stamina.

Yeah thanks, I'm going to be following mcatmatt's schedule except a bit modified to my needs. I guess it's best to be studying SOMETHING than do nothing but look around for answers.

I'm with @O731 - use both. I have both the TBR updated books and the most recent EK set (also took the TBR course in person but wasn't keeping up with the reading at the time) - my approach now is to use EK first for breadth, then TBR for more nuance. Picking the low-hanging fruit first. :)

I agree that EK does a good job of imitating the science passage-based format.

I would skip TBR CARS; the [format] question style is too different from the real thing to be of much use.

Last edited:
Lots of great insights in this thread so far.

One piece of advice with BR books is that the first chapters of the different books are challenging. Stoichiometry is one of those subjects that there is really little to study but a ton of variations on questions you can see. That section is tough, but as CloverBale said, things gets better as you go through the later chapters. The same can be said for physics, where the translational motion section is math-heavy and challenging. Things get better once you get into a flow. For people who stick to the plan of learning from answer explanations, the results are very good. The scores for students using the BR materials (from the January and April threads of this year) are extremely high, so the approach works. It's like the Insanity Work Out (but for the mind); it's a killer when you first start but after a few weeks it gets easier and you see great improvement.

Last edited:
Lots of great insights in this thread so far.

One piece of advice with BR books is that the first chapters of the different books are challenging. Stoichiometry is one of those subjects that there is really little to study but a ton of variations on questions you can see. That section is tough, but as CloverBale said, things gets better as you go through the later chapters. The same can be said for physics, where the translational motion section is math-heavy and challenging. Things get better once you get into a flow. For people who stick to the plan of learning from answer explanations, the results are very good. The scores for students using the BR materials (from the January and April threads of this year) are extremely high, so the approach works. It's like the Insanity Work Out (but for the mind); it's a killer when you first start but after a few weeks it gets easier and you see great improvement.

The TBR stoichiometry chapter (chapter 1) was perfect for whipping me into shape for calculations. I might be a bit neurotic, but EK takes a "MCAT is fun!" approach, and totally takes away from the seriousness (at least in my opinion) of the exam. TBR gives you the mindset, teaches you all the little tricks and nuances. EK is good because they teach you how to simplify everything and to use shortcuts.

I might have mentioned this already, but my approach was to first do TBR early in the morning with the passages. Then later at night just skim the same chapter in EK. It's like when your mom cuts the food for you into smaller bits when you were a kid. lol

The TBR stoichiometry chapter (chapter 1) was perfect for whipping me into shape for calculations. I might be a bit neurotic, but EK takes a "MCAT is fun!" approach, and totally takes away from the seriousness (at least in my opinion) of the exam. TBR gives you the mindset, teaches you all the little tricks and nuances. EK is good because they teach you how to simplify everything and to use shortcuts.

I might have mentioned this already, but my approach was to first do TBR early in the morning with the passages. Then later at night just skim the same chapter in EK. It's like when your mom cuts the food for you into smaller bits when you were a kid. lol

Amen brother! You have to take the MCAT seriously and be willing to work. Some people say TBR is dense, but to me it was exactly the depth it should be. If I knew something already, I'd just jump to the questions. The best thing IMHO were the little tips they gave. If I missed a question, their explanations were really helpful not just saying what was right but they also explained how to reason through the question and how to do it faster. Their way of thinking is what you need for the MCAT.

I liked EK as a way of going back and double checking if I forgot the material. Their explanations lack, but if you know your stuff well you'll be fine. They work well as a supplement after you've done TBR

Ah, now I get it! So it's kind of like a bed time story? :D

lol I guess. It's more of an MCAT comic book.

But...the 30 minute exams, practice questions, and their Full lengths (seperate purchase) are top notch, and make it worth all the money alone.

Yeah... I know, I was just kidding. Not to take anything away from EK since lots of people do well with their books.

I feel the same way :)

I just spent the whole day yesterday learning about torque for the second chapter in BR. That topic was never covered in my physics class.....

BR explained it well though, along with supplemental online videos I found.