Not to burst any bubbles...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoughtFyr

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to burst any celebratory bubbles (VERY HEARTFELT CONGRATS TO ALL WHO MATCHED) but could an unlucky soul please post the open programs (as they will become available today for the scramble).

And to any scramblers - Godspeed my friends, and remember, 3-4 years from now as you are applying for jobs, no one will know you scrambled!

- H

Members don't see this ad.

I too am curious. I am sure someone will lay out the programs.

Don't post the open programs just yet - give our US grads and those who paid for the NRMP a head start over the masses of FMG's that didn't pay for the list.

If I were a scrambler, I'm sure I would appreciate it - let's extend them that courtesy....

We can all find out the dirt on the programs that were unfilled on Thursday, after EVERYONE has matched!

Good luck to everyone on Thursday! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
EM Junkie said:
Don't post the open programs just yet - give our US grads and those who paid for the NRMP a head start over the masses of FMG's that didn't pay for the list.

If I were a scrambler, I'm sure I would appreciate it - let's extend them that courtesy....

We can all find out the dirt on the programs that were unfilled on Thursday, after EVERYONE has matched!

Actually, the list is available to FMGs, I've got one working as my junior today and he is leaving to scramble. As far as the "masses" of FMGs outside of the match, they are "locked out" of the scramble now as the programs want the ERAS application matrials sent. And I highly doubt any EM program woud even give a passing glance to an FMG would had not registered for the match - there will be too many scramble candidates who are were.

As much as applicants have worked very hard to "sell themselves" and match, so have many of the residents have worked hard recruiting. We'd also like to know that our efforts were successful.

Plus, it can relieve some "Thursday" anxiety as if an applicants #x program did not fill, and the applicant was fairly decent (and has matched) they know that they only went down to #x at the lowest.

- H

FoughtFyr said:
As far as the "masses" of FMGs outside of the match, they are "locked out" of the scramble now as the programs want the ERAS application matrials sent. And I highly doubt any EM program woud even give a passing glance to an FMG would had not registered for the match - there will be too many scramble candidates who are were.

Very good argument, but just the act of the "masses of FMG's" calling about those 33 unfilled spots may be harmful to those who registered with the NRMP, if they can't get ahold of anyone because the line is busy.

I too would LOVE to see the list, but isn't it also considered a Match Violation (insert scary music here) to release the list in a public forum before Match Day?

I too would LOVE to see the list, but isn't it also considered a Match Violation (insert scary music here) to release the list in a public forum before Match Day?[/QUOTE]

Hasn't prevented anyone from posting the list every year since I have been on this forum.

EM Junkie said:
I too would LOVE to see the list, but isn't it also considered a Match Violation (insert scary music here) to release the list in a public forum before Match Day?

Nope, it is not the match list but rather the "unfilled" positions list.

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Nope, it is not the match list but rather the "unfilled" positions list.

- H

FF is right on. It does help a lot of us know sort of where we have matched today because you know you didn't go past program "X" if they did not feel, assuming you had a really good vibe from them. And I have a sneaking suspicion that the FMG's who are not going through ERAS has hired firms to get them the lists ASAP, not sitting around in their third world basements waiting to find a loose lipped person on the EM thread. Its not going to change anything....I can assure you. People release the list every year....I assure you it has happened the last 3 I have been hanging out here..., and I assure you it will be on here before dinner. I just want it to show up before lunch!! If someone want to PM it to me to remain anonymous, I will either repost it or send it to each person known to hang out on the EM forum via PM if you prefer. Just send it already!!

corpsmanUP said:
And I have a sneaking suspicion that the FMG's who are not going through ERAS has hired firms to get them the lists ASAP, not sitting around in their third world basements waiting to find a loose lipped person on the EM thread.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ah, Corpsman, I needed a good laugh. Thanks!

You guys make good points, and I sure would love to see the list - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt one of our own at the same time. The list isn't going to do me too much good anyways, as I only ranked programs in the Southern region, where there is only 1 unfilled spot! (Would be really funny if it was Duke!)

However, all you have to do is go to www.imgforum.com to see that there are in fact dozens of FMG's clamoring for the EM list as we speak!

corpsmanUP said:
FF is right on. It does help a lot of us know sort of where we have matched today because you know you didn't go past program "X" if they did not feel, assuming you had a really good vibe from them. And I have a sneaking suspicion that the FMG's who are not going through ERAS has hired firms to get them the lists ASAP, not sitting around in their third world basements waiting to find a loose lipped person on the EM thread. Its not going to change anything....I can assure you. People release the list every year....I assure you it has happened the last 3 I have been hanging out here..., and I assure you it will be on here before dinner. I just want it to show up before lunch!! If someone want to PM it to me to remain anonymous, I will either repost it or send it to each person known to hang out on the EM forum via PM if you prefer. Just send it already!!

yeah somehow it gets out last couple of years too from what I remember.

Here are 27 of the 33, the other 6 were filled before I could get a list. anyone know what they were? At least 3 were somewhere in the central region because the early notes had 7 open in central but only 4 are on this list...

Emergency Medicine
This list was created on 03/14/2006 01:55:01
This list is updated every hour as programs fill their positions.

California Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Kern Medical Center-CA
Emergency Medicine 1921110R0 1100512001 1 0 1
Rick McPheeters
P: 661-326-2161
F: 661-326-2165
[email protected]

Martin L King Jr-Drew MC-CA
Emergency Medicine 2057110C0 1100512004 12 6 6
Patrick Aguilera
P: 310-668-4510
F: 310-762-6115
[email protected]

Maryland Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
Emergency Medicine 1242110C0 1102312022 11 10 1
Gabor Kelen
P: 410-955-5107
F: 410-502-5146
[email protected]

Michigan Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Grand Rapids Med Ed-MI
Emergency Medicine 2077110C0 1102512026 10 6 4
Michael Brown
P: 616-391-8879
F: 616-391-3674
[email protected]

New Jersey Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark
Emergency Medicine 1398110C0 1103331177 6 2 2
Joseph Rella
F: 973-972-9268

New York Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY
Emergency Medicine 1470110C0 1103511149 12 8 4
Kai Sturmann
P: 212-420-3948
F: 212-420-2863
[email protected]

Brooklyn Hosp Ctr-NY
Emergency Medicine 1420110C0 1103521093 5 1 4
Benson Yeh
P: 718-250-8369
F: 718-250-6528
[email protected]

Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
Emergency Medicine 1428110C0* 1103521164 9 8 1
Amy Church

Metropolitan Hosp Ctr-NY
Emergency Medicine 1473110C0 1103512031 6 4 2
Kenneth Cody
P: 212-423-6684
F: 212-423-6383
[email protected]

NY Hosp/Med Ctr Queens
Emergency Medicine 1822110C0 1103531173 8 7 1
James Ryan
P: 718-661-7305
F: 718-661-7679
[email protected]

Puerto Rico Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Univ of Puerto Rico
Emergency Medicine 1116110C0 1104212046 10 9 1
Juan Sanchez
P: 787-757-1800 x 644
F: 787-750-0930
[email protected]

11 record(s) found.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess Puerto Rico was the unfilled Southern program - stupid list didn't help me one bit!

Hopefully I am in Houston, as we are planning on making an offer on a townhome Thursday afternoon! ;)

Wow, interesting, only 4 spots left in the central US and all at one program in Michigan. I suppose the other 3 were all where?

corpsmanUP said:
Wow, interesting, only 4 spots left in the central US and all at one program in Michigan. I suppose the other 3 were all where?

I think the south had a great year, especially with some of the newer programs.

Wow, Hopkins didn't fill?? I thought that they were considered a "top" program?!

quideam said:
Wow, Hopkins didn't fill?? I thought that they were considered a "top" program?!

Yea, that was surprising, wasn't it? I was also surprised about Maryland as well. Hmmm.

Actually, we weren't too surprised about the match this year. We re-organized our rank list to make it more competitive and more geared toward an academic career. We did, however, quickly fill our last spot!

must feel pretty good to scramble into hopkins...

mward04 said:
Yea, that was surprising, wasn't it? I was also surprised about Maryland as well. Hmmm.
I think you miss read the list. It says Marland only because Hopkins is in Maryland not because UMD had spots. I wish UMD had a spot open cause that would tell me I was at least in my top 3. Oh well, anyone know where the other 6 were yet?

Hmm I wonder when the other 6 spots were.

colforbinMD said:
I think you miss read the list. It says Marland only because Hopkins is in Maryland not because UMD had spots. I wish UMD had a spot open cause that would tell me I was at least in my top 3. Oh well, anyone know where the other 6 were yet?

I see the error of my ways...thanks for clearing that up!

anyone notice there was 1 EM/IM spot unfilled in the Northeast. Again...no love!

Anyone know if the 6 Peds/EM spots filled?

EctopicFetus said:
Good for those people!

Yep, a real nice bunch of people I met on the trail. Ultimately, I didn't like EM at one place and vice versa at the other.

I only did one Peds/EM combined.. ranked it #2.. The people I met were real real nice as well!

MLK did okay this year. Matching 6 people (versus 5 last year) when we had changed our PD and the whole structure of the program mid-way through interviews is a feat.

Interestingly Kern always seems to have an open spot. I hear they like to save it for one oustanding scramble person.

I'm surprised by the number of open spots in Grand Rapids. I thought that the midwest programs, and especially the ones in Michigan almost always filled.

Veers how do they hold open a spot? If they have 12 and rank 100 people (for example) hwo can they guarantee an open spot? There were some weird openings this yr but hopefully all the students and programs end up happy..

Wow this means that i matched at one of my top 5, since i got a love letter from #5 which didn't match!

I'm in my top 7 since number 8 went unfilled. So that means... no Florida :( no PA :) and no 4 year programs :)

The unfilled EM/IM spot was at Christiana.

drdrtoledo said:
I'm in my top 7 since number 8 went unfilled. So that means... no Florida :( no PA :) and no 4 year programs :)

I keep seeing people making this assumption - but isn't it possible (not saying you toledo) that a program just chose not to rank you, and would rather scramble? Hence, you can't make any assumptions about where you matched just because a program went unfilled?

Flopotomist said:
I keep seeing people making this assumption - but isn't it possible (not saying you toledo) that a program just chose not to rank you, and would rather scramble? Hence, you can't make any assumptions about where you matched just because a program went unfilled?

Why would they bother with love letters after the interview, and right before putting our match lists in?

drdrtoledo said:

That doesn't mean that you didn't match at your number 8. It means that, as long as all programs you ranked actually ranked you, you wont go lower than number 8. So, your number 8 has a chance, albeit slim.

flop,fiera, and radiohead:
Oops.. Thanks for carifying that :oops: . I see your point.

EctopicFetus said:
Veers how do they hold open a spot? If they have 12 and rank 100 people (for example) hwo can they guarantee an open spot? There were some weird openings this yr but hopefully all the students and programs end up happy..

Honestly I'm not sure. They apparently have one scramble spot every year. If you look at how it's listed, it looks like it's a spot completely separate from the rest of the residency. Perhaps for the other 7 positions they rank them, then treat the 8th as a different residency and rank no one.

Anyone from Kern here who can explain this strangeness?

GeneralVeers said:
Honestly I'm not sure. They apparently have one scramble spot every year. If you look at how it's listed, it looks like it's a spot completely separate from the rest of the residency. Perhaps for the other 7 positions they rank them, then treat the 8th as a different residency and rank no one.

Anyone from Kern here who can explain this strangeness?

Residencies can tell NRMP up to a date certain (Jan something) how many of their approved positions that they want in the match. Most who do not put them all in are writing prematch contracts, but you could pull some out for the scramble as well.

BKN said:
Residencies can tell NRMP up to a date certain (Jan something) how many of their approved positions that they want in the match. Most who do not put them all in are writing prematch contracts, but you could pull some out for the scramble as well.
why would a program intentionally want to leave a spot open? I am confused.

Flopotomist said:
why would a program intentionally want to leave a spot open? I am confused.

Perhaps they believe that someone will go unmatched who is a great candidate. Then they can come in and pick them up especially since like BKN said in EM it is a buyers market for the PDs. There is no shortage of people trying to get into the field.

On one of my interviews they mentioned there were like 1750 people who applied for at least 1 EM spot, thats way more than the number of spots. Clearly some people use this as a backup, a friend of mine was unsure of Ortho or EM, decided on Ortho backed up with EM. I would imagine though more people "reach" for EM and end up in some of the less competetive fields.

mward04 said:
Not that anyone's counting but 24:52
Wow I really hate to be the barer of bad news to ya mward but it's 25:52 (acctually more like 25:40 now) as the where info is released tomorrow at 1pm EST.

Ward is thinking time is gonna speed up for him a little :)

EctopicFetus said:
Ward is thinking time is gonna speed up for him a little :)
I hope ward understands I really really really am sorry. I can imagine if someone suddenly told me there was an extra hour to this insanity I might have to start planning that persons untimely demise. :eek:

STRESS!!!! Gonna spend the day though having a little fun, then prepping for tomorrow!

colforbinMD said:
I hope ward understands I really really really am sorry. I can imagine if someone suddenly told me there was an extra hour to this insanity I might have to start planning that persons untimely demise. :eek:

You can view where you matched on the NRMP website at 1PM. However, and I quote the Emory Staff:

The Match letters will be distributed at 12:00 noon in WHSCAB Plaza followed by a small reception.

Guess I'll know an hour earlier than you guys :laugh: