Not to open old wounds about HICP...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...but that thread over in the kiddie forum about that new island school makes we wonder - what ever happened to Hasan, Monroe, and the rest of the staff of the fraudulous pharmacy school staff? Did the HICP kids get any of their money back? Did the criminals get jail sentences? What's the rub?

Members don't see this ad.

...but that thread over in the kiddie forum about that new island school makes we wonder - what ever happened to Hasan, Monroe, and the rest of the staff of the fraudulous pharmacy school staff? Did the HICP kids get any of their money back? Did the criminals get jail sentences? What's the rub?

Monroe: somewhere in Vegas, in hiding. once a while he called Hassan to say "hi"
Hasan: accepted some high school teaching position in Kentucky, Monroe's hood.
Criswell: just dropped dead, in hiding still.
Batz: is acting a pharmacist in HI, can locate him in Queen hospital, once a while did some talk about Natural Med. for Kasier.
Bhagavan: still teachs @ UH.

Monroe withdrew all monies before DCCA froze the bank account, so for sure all of the HICP students will get none.

just a straight lost for all of the HICP students. I guess all of the HICP students have to look forward and hopefully everyone still pursue his/her goal.

Check out the Hawaii DCCA website. The gruesome twosome were subpeonaed in August to reply to the DCCA complaint. DCCA is chasing down the "money trail". There are also reports on the DCCA website updating what has been done in the disposition of the earlier court order placing the identifiable assets into receivership.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a quick question, my wife went to HICP and I had to pay for the tuition, wonder if I can claim that as a tax loss since we're not getting any money back. Thanks for any helpful reply.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Dec/06/br/br2491860537.html

The state Office of Consumer Protection said a shuttered pharmacy college and its founder are liable for about $6.5 million in restitution to students who attended the school that shut down last year after it was accused of misleading people about its credentials.
The state said the money is to be paid about 300 consumers who either were attending classes or put down deposits. The state said the Pacific Educational Services Co., which operated the school, and its principles, David Monroe and Denise Criswell, are also each liable for $7.5 million in civil penalties to the state and are barred from ever owning, operating or conducting business in the Hawai'i until all payments are made.

The payments were ordered in a judgement obtained by the state. It filed a lawsuit against the defendants last year.

Pharmacy students take financial hit

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061207/BUSINESS/612070321/1071

Students of a Kapolei pharmacy college that abruptly shut down last year will likely only get 23 cents for every dollar they are owed.

Circuit Judge Sabrina McKenna ordered the Hawaii College of Pharmacy on Tuesday to pay $6.5 million in restitution for alleged deceptive practices. She also ruled that one of the school's co-founders, David Monroe, is liable for $7.5 million in fines.

But the Office of Consumer Protection, which sued the school on behalf of its 300 mostly out-of-town students in July 2005, said yesterday the school's court-appointed receivers have only been able to recover about $1.5 million, or about 23 percent of the tuition collected by the school.

"The money has just gone down the expense hole," said Jeffrey Brunton, staff attorney for the Office of Consumer Protection.

Monroe and school co-founder Denise Criswell could not be reached for comment. The school's attorney, Tom Weber, declined to comment.

The Hawaii College of Pharmacy shut down in August 2005 after McKenna froze assets owned by the school and Monroe and Criswell.

The state alleged that the college, which charged annual tuition of about $28,000, misrepresented its accreditation, misled students that it had received state approval and retaliated against students who filed complaints with the state.

According to Brunton, the school's court-appointed receivers — Ben Fujimoto and Rebecca Yee — were able to recover some money from a stock brokerage account held by Monroe and by selling a condominium owned by Criswell.

The receivers also recovered about $200,000 that Monroe had put down as a deposit on a commercial property in Kapolei, he said. But Brunton said most of the money collected for tuition had already been spent on the school's operating costs such as rent for classrooms and salaries for staffers.

According to the state, Monroe and Criswell are barred from owning or operating a business in Hawai'i until all payments are made.

"We are pleased to have stopped this school's operations, and to have prevented further harm to its students," said Stephen Levins, executive director of the Office of Consumer Protection.

I know it sucks that they can only get 23% back, but at least they can get something.

As a former student I can say that although not all of the money came back to the students. I'm just very glad that it is over now and Monroe was held liable for his actions. The DCCA did the best job they could do. Personally, I feel very vindicated for standing up for what I belived in. As far as the money 0.23/1.00, it would have been ideal to get 1.00/1.00 back but at this stage something IS better than nothing. :) I'm also glad ACPE is getting stricter on regulating pharmacy education and setting up specific new rules for opening up schools of pharmacy. I just wished they could have done it sooner.

Hi Tony,
I am wondering if somehow we (former students) can locate where Monroe & Criswell live? it's might be good sometimes we can come up and visit and maybe have tea together? and talk about all the fun @HICP.;)

Do you think DCCA could provide us with that info?, cuz most of students are from O.C. we would love to keep in touch, get together and order a pig to BBQ. (Vietnamese styles), yeah.;) that's might ease away our pain/stress...time..goal...dreams.....

Hassan was just a black sheep dog for Monroe & Criswell (remember da day b4 XMAS, everyone started to leave early, Hassan & Monroe were barked for over 4 hours. at tis time they already know Bhagavan the "OWL" already jump off the shinking boat....damn, yeah?

HICP was a mess and scam, good scam though...otherwise 240 students wouldn't go there....well, here is a movie that all student should check out @Blockbuster..."ACCEPTED" THIS IS A GOOD AND SOMEWHAT RELATED TO HICP.

Stay strong, don't be a looser like students, don't die early too, that's sad. Pharmacy school is not the only career that you could make $6 figures/year. There were lot of talented HICP students. So keep your head straight and get focus on what you really want to do disregard to the time that would take to get back to pharmacy school.

good luck to all HICP students. we all lost something while @ HICP and learned something yeah.

:love: :love:

Dr. A.?

she was just a lab professor at your school and she thought that she got big promotion by accepting ASSociate dean postion @HICP. however she never taught any class only 2 times standing in front of the students. that's it. personally i think she was not qualify for tis position. however the librian could become the was the president, so the LAB professor of course could deserve this ASSociate dean.

also I heard from the administration people told me that she was trying to take over / control from Dean Negro J. Hussieeen ("da-blackie - barked dog"). I personally had no respect for her, because she didn't have a good residency Even though, she graduated from UOP. If she was the best, she should finish her residency in state and got in at the best residency "teaching hospital". her residency was just an average residency. (I hope you know what i mean, not every resident will be the best)

also she will always say "I wasn't born yesterday", but in fact she really born yesterday, because she had no leader skills, management, even ACPE exeperiences but she always acts like she had involved in the ACPE process. she should only deserve her title as a LAB professor.

no recognition, research experiences, was just average student while she was in school (UOP)

this was just the facts, not bashing or trolling, because the school didn't eve n exist any more, _ and my evaluation about all of the RATs that want to get a piece of pie in Hawaii. no respect for all!

HOPE THIS WOULD HELP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ya'll!

Who of your former HICP students can tell me something about Dr. A?
I can't spell her name correctly.
She was a faculty member at my college before coming to HICP.
How did she get mixed up in this mess?

it's against the SDN policy to put the real name. however, I know which rat you're talking about.

the one that is skinny, short black/brown hair, half greek/asian.

Hi Aloha,
Sorry I have to post your answer here. I tried all I could and was informed you don't accept individual mails. Sorry about that but here is the answer to your question.

Monroe: somewhere in Vegas, in hiding. once a while he called Hassan to say "hi"
Hasan: accepted some high school teaching position in Kentucky, Monroe's hood.
Criswell: just dropped dead, in hiding still.
Batz: is acting a pharmacist in HI, can locate him in Queen hospital, once a while did some talk about Natural Med. for Kasier.
Bhagavan: still teachs @ UH.

Monroe withdrew all monies before DCCA froze the bank account, so for sure all of the HICP students will get none.

just a straight lost for all of the HICP students. I guess all of the HICP students have to look forward and hopefully everyone still pursue his/her goal.

Sorry Aloha. They won't allow me send you the answer to your question. I hope you get this.
Hi Aloha,
So nice to hear from you. I will do my best to answer your questions to the best of my ability. Pacific is just an awesome school. The warm environment will make you wish to stay forever. About the exams, yes we have a 90% proficiency on all the exams. The exams are usually 50 questions and you have 2 hours to take them expect for top 200 drugs that was 100 questions and then the calculations exam which was an hour. In any case, they will give you all the incentives that you need to succeed. They provide powerpoint on all courses and you will only need your text book as a reference material. The Teachers will teach you until you understand it. If you don't pass the exam on Friday, you will have a second chance to take the exam on Monday and those who passed will are not expected to be in school that Monday. It is a day off for all who passed. The teachers will help you by teaching you over any concept you are having trouble with. They will also have a review session and you will have a different test on Monday. If by Monday, you couldn't make a 90%, then you will have to use judiciously your third chance will be by summer.

More importantly, after the individual exams, your group will take thesame exam. if your group make 95% and above, that will earn each one of the group members an additional 5 points added to your individual score. This means that you can only fail 7 questions on the whole to be able to get 91% shoud your group help you out with a 5 oints.

I hope this helps out. Classes start at 8am. we have like 10-15 minutes break every one hour or an hour thirty minutes and then a lunch break of one hour.

I hope this helps you out.

Does this thread make any sense to anybody or is it just me?

Punctuation, grammar and capitalization are obviously not requirements for entrance into pharmacy school these days...

You don't know what you're talking about. HICP and USN were never connected other than the fact that former employees thought they could start a program in Hawaii. Criswell and Monroe had been gone from USN for over a year before they tried to start HICP. No one who was employed by USN was ever involved or worked with Monroe or Criswell in the founding of HICP.

i graduated in 04 from the nevada college of pharmacy (since renamed to university of southern nevada). halfway through my second year of school. the dean (Rosenberg) and several staff including David monroe spent about a week in hawaii looking at property and determining the legistics to start a 'sister' school in hawaii. they also later looked at property in utah for another 'sister' school (from my understanding has since started classes). David Monroe was our librarian at the time. from my understanding david and one of my fellow graduating students later started the ill fated hawaii pharmacy school. they even tried to recruit kids from our school to go down there and teach. The 'oficall word' from the nevada college of pharmacy was that the two schools are not related and david decided to persue the matters on his own. the whole time i went to the nevada college of pharmacy i kept expecting the bottom to drop out. id thought id show up to school one day and see the doors boarded up. we spent the first year of school renting a hall from a painters union. we didnt even have enough chairs and folding tables to accomidate all the students. the second year we rented an up stairs loft from a tech school. overall i feel that i was lucky. the school didnt drop out from under my feet. we finally got accredited. in my personal opinion i cant help but think that the two schools are somehow more closely related. i think they had all intentions to start another 'diploma mill pharmacy school" but things werent going their way... maybee greed set in? i feel bad for the kids who lost out on education and money.
I think lisi forgot to quote this post....by the way, this quoted post is pure crap

You don't know what you're talking about. HICP and USN were never connected other than the fact that former employees thought they could start a program in Hawaii. Criswell and Monroe had been gone from USN for over a year before they tried to start HICP. No one who was employed by USN was ever involved or worked with Monroe or Criswell in the founding of HICP.

I think there was a connection between the two schools. If UTAH is a sister school of USN now than HICP was also suppose to be a sister school of USN. Think about it if everything had gone right from the begining HICP might be part of USN today instead of Utah. But something happend and I suppose greed or politics set in. As far as the close ties between Monore and Criswell and USN thats undeniable. And as for other people working with USN and HICP there were two that I know of that taught at HICP and had "close ties" to USN, Dr. Belloto did teach at both schools (USN AND HICP) and Dr. Dr. Dr. (dentist, MD, JD) forgot his name was from NV and taught at HICP. Dr.Bagahvan (HICP former Dean) did visit USN and I believe USN did "show him there program". Why do u think HICP's curriculum was a block system? USN was the first school to start that and now many new schools are trying to copy it. I wouldn't be surprised if USN helped other new blocked based programs start up as well. What other schools use the block system? From everything that I know, I will speculate that USN did have something to do with HICP until things went sour. As far as how long and the exact dates I don't know. USN knew it was going to go sour for HICP and did nothing to stop the situation and is now denying everything. I suppose everyone is free to believe what they want but I think this whole HICP thing had to start from somewhere.

Actually Western did the block thing before USN, but USN goes thorugh the summer time making the program only 3 years long. The guy who started USN (forgot his name) developed Western's program before he went on to start USN.

I think there was a connection between the two schools. If UTAH is a sister school of USN now than HICP was also suppose to be a sister school of USN. Think about it if everything had gone right from the begining HICP might be part of USN today instead of Utah. But something happend and I suppose greed or politics set in. As far as the close ties between Monore and Criswell and USN thats undeniable. And as for other people working with USN and HICP there were two that I know of that taught at HICP and had "close ties" to USN, Dr. Belloto did teach at both schools (USN AND HICP) and Dr. Dr. Dr. (dentist, MD, JD) forgot his name was from NV and taught at HICP. Dr.Bagahvan (HICP former Dean) did visit USN and I believe USN did "show him there program". Why do u think HICP's curriculum was a block system? USN was the first school to start that and now many new schools are trying to copy it. I wouldn't be surprised if USN helped other new blocked based programs start up as well. What other schools use the block system? From everything that I know, I will speculate that USN did have something to do with HICP until things went sour. As far as how long and the exact dates I don't know. USN knew it was going to go sour for HICP and did nothing to stop the situation and is now denying everything. I suppose everyone is free to believe what they want but I think this whole HICP thing had to start from somewhere.

Belloto had been gone from USN for almost a year before he taught at HICP. The connection is Monroe and Criswell being formerly employed and stealing a lot of work from USN with no one's permission. I know that USN's attorney had to send a "cease and desist" letter to HICP. There were individuals from USN contacted by Hawaii-based media that helped to blow the lid off the whole thing as well as people from USN providing information to the Hawaiian authorities. Believe what you want, but USN wasn't involved and in fact, was instrumental in helping that abomination come to an end.

Monroe and Criswell moved to Louisville, KY. They are living quite well - big money, apparently. The corporation they registered with the Ky Secretary of State in January of 2005 is now inactive. Hasan moved to Louisivlle too! He is a professor at a Catholic University there (Spalding University). Courts in Hawaii apparently decided not to pursue assets on mainland, but that's apparently where they (the assets) all ended up. The story of HICP would make a good book.

Next time there is a WVU game in Louisville, I'll hunt them down and super soaker them with my urine. ****ing scum of the Earth. If I lived in Louisville, I would be hounding them relentlessly. RELENTLESSLY.

Ah...HICP...the gift that keeps giving.

I actually found their phone numbers, too. Maybe even Monroe's home number...I think I remember somebody mentioning he lives on Wood Hollow Road. They are SOOOO getting prank called.

Next time there is a WVU game in Louisville, I'll hunt them down and super soaker them with my urine. ****ing scum of the Earth. If I lived in Louisville, I would be hounding them relentlessly. RELENTLESSLY.

Ah...HICP...the gift that keeps giving.

I actually found their phone numbers, too. Maybe even Monroe's home number...I think I remember somebody mentioning he lives on Wood Hollow Road. They are SOOOO getting prank called.
Monroe's address: 836 Inspiration Way, Louisville, KY 40245

But, the investigator for the Hawaii courts already reported he had located Monroe's house with 2 Lexus' and a Cadilac in the garage. It was in the Hawaii newspaper. It's amazing that they let them go. Seems to me that since the judgment was for the plaintiff (State of Hawaii by the Office of Consumer Protection) that each student probably could file civil suits against Monroe and Criswell. Final judgment was entered December 4, 2006.

The court papers can be found HERE

Check out the Dec 31, 2006 .pdf. It lists all 315 people PESC screwed over. Odd thing is 99% of the names are Vietnamese.

If the address is correct, HERE is what Monroe's house looks like (for WVU's planning purposes)

Ok the address is correct (for "a" David Monroe). He paid $5135 in proerty taxes last year.

The court papers can be found HERE

Check out the Dec 31, 2006 .pdf. It lists all 315 people PESC screwed over. Odd thing is 99% of the names are Vietnamese.

If the address is correct, HERE is what Monroe's house looks like (for WVU's planning purposes)

Ok the address is correct (for "a" David Monroe). He paid $5135 in proerty taxes last year.

Brought to you by the Stalker Doctor Network!

Wait wait wait...

The home was SOLD, by court order, in October 2006.

9510 Wood Hollow Rd

Louisville, KY 40229-1235
??????????

HUH? Joe Burnett owns that place. It's only worth $106K

edit....the Jefferson County Tax Collector applet doesn't like hotlinks much. Just search by his name and you get the intended info.

Yea she owns a parcel in Louisville, but it states she resides in Lexington. Fayette County doesn't have such a nice land records website.

Just hiring that man after what he did to all of those people is sketchy enough...that or they are ******ed and have poor hiring practices.

I feel like I should do something. Who want to write a few letters to the Louisville paper?

Just hiring that man after what he did to all of those people is sketchy enough...that or they are ******ed and have poor hiring practices.

I feel like I should do something. Who want to write a few letters to the Louisville paper?

maybe they are just working on the Christian policy of forgive and forget and repentance. Who knows. they might just want to give him a second chance, you know?

Wait wait wait...

The home was SOLD, by court order, in October 2006.
Interesting - the deed says 839 Inspiration Way, although certainly it is Monroe. The Pacific Blue Foundation was registered in Ky as being located at 836 Inspiration Way, Monroe as President. Those houses cost about 500,000-$1mil in 2005 - any chance he bought more than one? Maybe that's farfetched. But which address is incorrect?
Found Criswell (aka Nakajima) enrolled her son at Louisville Collegiate School last year - very high priced private school.

Brought to you by the Stalker Doctor Network!
These guys appear to be predators. Families were robbed. Students are due restitution.

Hey, are Asset-backed Securities hedge funds? I don't know much about that, but who got the proceeds from the house? Should have been the receivers of the COP in HI, shouldn't it?

maybe they are just working on the Christian policy of forgive and forget and repentance. Who knows. they might just want to give him a second chance, you know?

Forgiving and giving a person the opportunity to do the same thing again within 2 years of ruining the lives of hundreds of people are two different things....but who am I...