Not yet, abandoned hope... MATCH 2020.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FM OR IM?

• 1) FM

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • 2) IM

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 3) Something else (explain)

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

MDK05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so in summary. I graduated from Ross University in May 2018 and did well in the basic sciences. I applied for the 2018 Match in both FM and IM. I got 3 IM interviews but none for FM and sadly, did not match. All of my LOR’s are IM related. I did write two separate personal statements for FM and IM. In terms of the MSPE (deans letter)/transcript: In my 3rd year IM clerkship I got a “B +” (with good comments) and in the same year did a FM clerkship and I got an “A” (with good comments). In my 4th year IM Sub - I, got a “C +” and decided to repeat it at another institution, got an “A” and a LOR from the repeat institution with good comments. I also did a FM Sub – I during my 4th year and got an “A” with good comments but no LOR. Now, my step scores which were all passed on the first attempt. Step 1 was in the low 210’s and had to take time off to study for it (6 months). My step 2 CK was the mid 220’s and passed step 2 CS. Since I hadn’t matched the first time around, I decided to take step 3 and received my scores in mid – October 2018 (for the 2019 match cycle). I updated the USMLE transcript and informed programs via email/phone and got a total of 5 interview for IM for the 2019 Match. No FM interviews. Did NOT match!. Since the beginning of this year (2019), I have been working at an Urgent Care. The doctor really doesn’t seem interested in having scribes having any patient contact. I plan to leave there soon, maybe getting an LOR (as I have been told, it might not even be worth it). So basically, for the summer my goal is to do some externships (hands on experience) and get LOR’s but in FM or IM? I think its too late for anything else like research to make a difference… (I am leaning towards FM based on prior feedback, and sorry if I am repeating a prior thread.) Any other input is always appreciated. Volunteering?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so in summary. I graduated from Ross University in May 2018 and did well in the basic sciences. I applied for the 2018 Match in both FM and IM. I got 3 IM interviews but none for FM and sadly, did not match. All of my LOR’s are IM related. I did write two separate personal statements for FM and IM. In terms of the MSPE (deans letter)/transcript: In my 3rd year IM clerkship I got a “B +” (with good comments) and in the same year did a FM clerkship and I got an “A” (with good comments). In my 4th year IM Sub - I, got a “C +” and decided to repeat it at another institution, got an “A” and a LOR from the repeat institution with good comments. I also did a FM Sub – I during my 4th year and got an “A” with good comments but no LOR. Now, my step scores which were all passed on the first attempt. Step 1 was in the low 210’s and had to take time off to study for it (6 months). My step 2 CK was the mid 220’s and passed step 2 CS. Since I hadn’t matched the first time around, I decided to take step 3 and received my scores in mid – October 2018 (for the 2019 match cycle). I updated the USMLE transcript and informed programs via email/phone and got a total of 5 interview for IM for the 2019 Match. No FM interviews. Did NOT match!. Since the beginning of this year (2019), I have been working at an Urgent Care. The doctor really doesn’t seem interested in having scribes having any patient contact. I plan to leave there soon, maybe getting an LOR (as I have been told, it might not even be worth it). So basically, for the summer my goal is to do some externships (hands on experience) and get LOR’s but in FM or IM? I think its too late for anything else like research to make a difference… (I am leaning towards FM based on prior feedback, and sorry if I am repeating a prior thread.) Any other input is always appreciated. Volunteering?
You seem surprised you didn’t match...
Doubt you have a realistic shot at IM and should concentrate on improving your FM application...get a letter from the sub I attending and make sure s/he writes you a great one.

Reactions: 1 user
You seem surprised you didn’t match...
Doubt you have a realistic shot at IM and should concentrate on improving your FM application...get a letter from the sub I attending and make sure s/he writes you a great one.

Yeah, I hoped with passing step 3 and a total of 5 interview for the 2019 Match that it would have happened. Anyway, all I can do now is likely do some FM externships over the summer and maybe volunteer before this new cycle. Not sure if I can get any prior FM attendings to submit an LOR at this time but might as well try.

For all of the reasons outlined in your prior thread, FM. You may still not match, but I think you have a resounding answer on whether or not an IM program will take you. You need to work on getting FM LORs now.

Whether you eventually apply FM or IM, you seriously need to get your butt in gear. You posted your prior thread over a month ago and you are STILL waffling on what to do? If you don't commit to getting an externship soon, you're not going to be able to find anything. As you are finding, your job as a scribe is really not relevant patient contact, and honestly it isn't the doc's job to give you that kind of experience--it's not in the job description.

Reactions: 1 users
For all of the reasons outlined in your prior thread, FM. You may still not match, but I think you have a resounding answer on whether or not an IM program will take you. You need to work on getting FM LORs now.

Whether you eventually apply FM or IM, you seriously need to get your butt in gear. You posted your prior thread over a month ago and you are STILL waffling on what to do? If you don't commit to getting an externship soon, you're not going to be able to find anything. As you are finding, your job as a scribe is really not relevant patient contact, and honestly it isn't the doc's job to give you that kind of experience--it's not in the job description.

Understood, definitely leaving this scribe position soon. I am in the process of obtaining externships for FM. Thanks for the advice.