Nova admissions process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eafutureeyedoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How soon after submitting the supplemental application should I expect to hear whether or not they want me to interview? And if I am granted an interview, how soon after that will I hear back about acceptance? I emailed admissions with these questions, and they said that my application was reviewed on 3/31 and is pending further review status.

One more question: I know I applied relatively late in the cycle - if all seats are full for the entering class of 2015, will optometry schools (Nova in particular) ever admit students for the following cycle (aka entering class of 2016)? One of the optometrists I worked with said that this was the case for her at PCO.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How soon after submitting the supplemental application should I expect to hear whether or not they want me to interview? And if I am granted an interview, how soon after that will I hear back about acceptance? I emailed admissions with these questions, and they said that my application was reviewed on 3/31 and is pending further review status.

One more question: I know I applied relatively late in the cycle - if all seats are full for the entering class of 2015, will optometry schools (Nova in particular) ever admit students for the following cycle (aka entering class of 2016)? One of the optometrists I worked with said that this was the case for her at PCO.

Thank you!
Once the application review is done they usually invite for interview within a week. Their admin community usually meets every 2 weeks, so from the time of your interview you may have wait 2 weeks. I know their class is full right now, because they only had 8 seats left when I interviewed back in February. However, many people withdrew by april 1, and sets may have opened up. Make sure to give your best shot while you're being interviewed. There is a Hispanic woman admin counselor who is not very patient, and may rush your through the process (hopefully you don't get her). Interview day is pretty long so make sure to have a proper breakfast.

Damn it, got rejected by NOVA I applied too late and their class is full although my scores are okay.

Hoping somebody drops out and I get an interview somehow...was one of my top choices too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn it, got rejected by NOVA I applied too late and their class is full although my scores are okay.

Hoping somebody drops out and I get an interview somehow...was one of my top choices too.

How did you find out you were rejected?? I have yet to hear from them and I submitted my OptomCAS app in September and I took my first OAT in November, but then I retook it in March and improved. The only contact I have gotten from them is an email on March 27th stating they received my test scores. NOVA is my top choice and I'm really disappointed because so far every school I've applied to has invited me for an interview, but NOVA and that's the one I want to go to :/

How did you find out you were rejected?? I have yet to hear from them and I submitted my OptomCAS app in September and I took my first OAT in November, but then I retook it in March and improved. The only contact I have gotten from them is an email on March 27th stating they received my test scores. NOVA is my top choice and I'm really disappointed because so far every school I've applied to has invited me for an interview, but NOVA and that's the one I want to go to :/

Yeah NOVA is my top choice too. If you submitted way back in September, you should call them to see if you can get an update on the status of your application or not. When I contacted them they said the class was full, and that because I applied relatively late (Feb) I would have gotten an interview if I had applied earlier. :(

Yeah NOVA is my top choice too. If you submitted way back in September, you should call them to see if you can get an update on the status of your application or not. When I contacted them they said the class was full, and that because I applied relatively late (Feb) I would have gotten an interview if I had applied earlier. :(
Thanks, I'll give them a call and see what's going on. It's just upsetting to hear that the class is full and they haven't ever contacted me since September. I've called about 3 times before just making sure they received my materials and was always told I would be hearing something soon, but I never did :/ I hope we both get lucky somehow and end up at NOVA

Reactions: 1 user
It's just upsetting to hear that the class is full and they haven't ever contacted me since September
6ik4Ah

It's just upsetting to hear that the class is full and they haven't ever contacted me since September
6ik4Ah

As awful as it is to hear you haven't been contacted, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one and they don't just hate my file or something. I wonder why though? Every other school has been pretty good about contacting me with some form of acknowledgement that everything has been received and where my application is in the process. It doesn't make sense, it's like they never even received my application or that they didn't care to respond to it.

As of now, I think almost all schools are full. Some still interview but put people on their waitlist. I think you should call them and ask.

Thanks Nnhi_89 I'll be giving them a call on Monday. I was just moreso frustrated because I applied back in September.

Thanks Nnhi_89 I'll be giving them a call on Monday. I was just moreso frustrated because I applied back in September.

Saw your other thread about PCO, did you end up getting accepted? How was the interview?

Saw your other thread about PCO, did you end up getting accepted? How was the interview?

Hi, I haven't found out about PCO yet. I believe I should be getting a letter this week or the following week. The interview was pretty relaxed and conversational. The day is actually shorter than all the other interviews I've had. We started at 10am and went till about 1:30pm. There was a little informational session and then the interview followed by a tour and lunch. The hardest thing about the interview process for me was figuring out how to get to the school! Unfortunately there aren't any hotels near the school and I did not want to get lost using the public transportation system so I had to take a cab from the hotel and back which was pretty pricey.

I can't imagine why you all haven't heard back from Nova. I did a late-cycle application and have had quick responses throughout the whole process.

I can't imagine why you all haven't heard back from Nova. I did a late-cycle application and have had quick responses throughout the whole process.

:/ Well that definitely makes me worry about something possibly have going wrong with my application and them not receiving a part of it. How did they contact you?

Okay, thanks I appreciate you letting me know :)

So did they end up getting back to you? Did they tell you they're still giving interviews?

Hi, they won't really tell me anything. All they said was that all my materials were received and that they are being reviewed. I asked if they are still giving interviews and she said she can't answer that question. Which is kind of frustrating considering it's late in the cycle and people have to give their decisions/pay deposits to other schools.

NOVA seems to be disrespectful to applicants time (and money). I applied to NOVA end of August, and till March I had heard NOTHING from them. I called them twice, once in December another in February (if my memory serves correct), and each time it was "Application is pending review/decision". I directly contacted one of their assistant deans and he was of tremendous help. I had an academic misconduct that was dragging me down, and recommended I write a letter explaining it so he can forward it to the admission committee, which he did. I followed up a few weeks via email later with him and he stated I was not granted an interview invite (fair enough, who am I to argue with their decision making). I wish they could have at the bare minimum taken the time to inform me of a rejection earlier. In fact if I had not contacted the assistant dean I would still probably be waiting to hear back from them (if ever). If someone takes a high interest in your school, takes the time and money to submit the supplemental application (on top of the OPTOMCAS $$), at least keep them updated.

Either way, I am blessed to have been offered interviews from all the other schools I applied to. Took 2 of the interviews (SUNY and SCO) and was accepted at both. So no hard feelings towards NOVA, it was my top choice too, but a little disappointed with the way they do admission notifications (or lack of?).

NOVA seems to be disrespectful to applicants time (and money). I applied to NOVA end of August, and till March I had heard NOTHING from them. I called them twice, once in December another in February (if my memory serves correct), and each time it was "Application is pending review/decision". I directly contacted one of their assistant deans and he was of tremendous help. I had an academic misconduct that was dragging me down, and recommended I write a letter explaining it so he can forward it to the admission committee, which he did. I followed up a few weeks via email later with him and he stated I was not granted an interview invite (fair enough, who am I to argue with their decision making). I wish they could have at the bare minimum taken the time to inform me of a rejection earlier. In fact if I had not contacted the assistant dean I would still probably be waiting to hear back from them (if ever). If someone takes a high interest in your school, takes the time and money to submit the supplemental application (on top of the OPTOMCAS $$), at least keep them updated.

Either way, I am blessed to have been offered interviews from all the other schools I applied to. Took 2 of the interviews (SUNY and SCO) and was accepted at both. So no hard feelings towards NOVA, it was my top choice too, but a little disappointed with the way they do admission notifications (or lack of?).

Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm sorry that you didn't have better communication with them either. It's just awful considering people have NOVA as their top choice and love what the school has to offer, but then they treat us like this. I'm glad that you got into SUNY and SCO those might just turn out to be better in the end for you! :)