NOVA: Anyone happy with their apartment complex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rani82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are doing well! I was just wondering if ANY of you (newly admitted or 1st years through 4th years) are happy with your apartment complex.

I have been reading on apartmentratings.com and I know I have to take those ratings with a grain of salt (considering that my apartment here in NY was only given a 44% positive rating and I love my building!!)...

But I have been reading that many apartment complexes have problems with:

(1) crime
(2) bugs
(3) rats!
(4) horrible maintenance staff, etc...

If any of you have any insight as to what are GOOD (clean, safe, close to NOVA) apartment complexes in the area please PM me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Unfortunately all of the singles in the Cultural Living Center are full...and I didn't want to get a double.

But I was thinking that too! It will be great to meet you in the Fall -- Fran told me that orientation is Thursday, August 2nd and classes start Monday, August 6th!!

i was under the impression that orientation starts august 5th too. don't remember where i read it from - i think it was a letter that got sent out.

Members don't see this ad :)
But I have been reading that many apartment complexes have problems with:

(1) crime
(2) bugs
(3) rats!
(4) horrible maintenance staff, etc...

Bugs and rats!!:eek:
I didn't think that apartments out in south Florida would have any problems with bugs and rats. Just thought that this was more typical in big cities like N.Y. and Philly.

Bugs are definitely an issue. And I hate to say it, but the bugs are big and gross in South Florida. :eek: I didn't know about rats though! My boyfriend and I are now also apartment hunting in the area so I'd love to hear where some students live and love it. (or at least like it enough to recommend )

Oh man - I better pay extra for additional pest control...NOT looking forward to the big nasty bugs in South Florida :(

2 of my classmates (a guy and a girl) are looking for a 3rd roomie in thier 3 bedroom apt. It's in "The Waves" in Plantation. It's across the street from where I live- about 7 min from campus; I really like the area. Check it out online and if you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you and his email address.

My fiancee and I are moving in to Palm Trace Landings next week. We were very impressed with the open unit they showed us so we could get a feel for the actually living space and not a model. A NOVA student showed us the place and he said he would never move anywhere else.

Thanks so much - great advice!! I'll have to check it out when I am down there.

Hmm, interesting timing.

My roommate just told me TODAY that he is moving out (this is a big mess, long story), and that was only after I told him that our renewal info was due. What a.... Well, far be it from me to bad mouth anyone since I am now on the spot.

If anyone is interested in living in a relatively bug-free (I have pest control come every other week), walking dist to class, with its own gym, pool, tanning booth... and pretty good maintenance staff- not to mention living with a relatively brilliant...or at least experienced 2d year :D let me know.

I'm not an opt. student, but I'll still chime in.

One thing you want to consider is who the neighbors are going to be. Coming from a small town in the midwest, I never thought about that until I moved here.

There are plenty of condos available to be rented out. The plus of living in a condo complex is that majority of the people there are owners, not renters. There will be A LOT less shady locals who will live there. You will still get crime everywhere, don't get me wrong, but it'll be somewhat safer.

Palm Trace... I've heard nothing good. The units are nice, but otherwise there are drug dealers and other sketchy people who live there. I know several people who've been offered drugs in the parking lots there.

Sun Forest is convenient because its right next to school, but I've heard the staff there sucks.

I've heard better things about places if you go further north into plantation(if you're willing to drive a bit more). A couple friends live around Pine Island/Broward... pay less than Sun Forest or Palm Trace and live in nice gated complex.

i live at palm trace landings and have absolutely no problems with it - no drug dealers, rodents, break ins, etc.

Thanks everyone -- I actually decided on a place in Pine Island Ridge -- nice, quiet and close to school!!