NOVA (nsu-com) vs. UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownsoul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

could use your help on this one. I'd like to hear what you think about these two schools and where you'd go since you can only go to one school. I think that both schools are great schools and offer lots of excellent opportunities even if they are different sorts of opportunities in different parts of the country. I'm a bit uneasy about new jersey because of the new med school opening up soon in camden and the cut in state funding. but I really liked it during my visit there, it's closer to home, and in better a general location for me. nova has a beautiful campus, is in fort lauderdale, and seems to have a really strong incoming class. anything would be helpful, since I'm really unsure. lines of reasoning would also be helpful in your opinions. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

NSU (soon to be) grad. Goto UMDNJ, Better school, cheaper, own hospital system.

Unless you really want to live near the beach for a few years. But its expensive indeed!

NSU (soon to be) grad. Goto UMDNJ, Better school, cheaper, own hospital system.

Unless you really want to live near the beach for a few years. But its expensive indeed!

My main reason for applying to NSU ; ).

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, if you do a search 2-3 years ago, i was in this exact same situation. I ended up choosing NSU and I do not regret it at all. I loved living in fort lauderdale and I believe I am better prepared for rotations that the other students I have met from other schools. Having said that, I feel like UMDNJ might be better structured academically and its cheaper. From my experience, the student body is quite different with Nova students being a lot more relaxed and laid back. That's just one man's observation of course. Good luck deciding between two fine schools.

of my best friends actually had to make a similar decision as well last cycle. He s at NOVA and has absolutely no regrets. The main reason he picked that over UMDNJ, was the whole issue with funding being cut for UMDNJ, due to the state itself having huge budget issues and the new med school in jersey that is being built. Also the rotation sites , although somewhat close the location could be a lot better. Although UMDNJ is a good school, with its cheap tuition and good faculty but I think it is still a tad overrated. Even in regards to its tuiton, I read elsewhere that there is a 15% increase in tuition so that should be a factor to look into. I would personally go with NOVA, since it has a better track record with matching its students during 4th years and south jersey isn't really that nice to live in compared to NOVA.

hey guys,

could use your help on this one. I'd like to hear what you think about these two schools and where you'd go since you can only go to one school. I think that both schools are great schools and offer lots of excellent opportunities even if they are different sorts of opportunities in different parts of the country. I'm a bit uneasy about new jersey because of the new med school opening up soon in camden and the cut in state funding. but I really liked it during my visit there, it's closer to home, and in better a general location for me. nova has a beautiful campus, is in fort lauderdale, and seems to have a really strong incoming class. anything would be helpful, since I'm really unsure. lines of reasoning would also be helpful in your opinions. thanks!

I chose NSU over other schools I was accepted to mainly because I like the fact that core rotation sites are nearby and well-connected with the university. The cost of living is comparatively high in relation to most of the country (tuition is about on par with most other DO schools) , but given where I live right now it's quite a bit cheaper. They've also got a high board pass rate (95%+) and their most recent match list isn't bad at all (posted on SDN somewhere)

There's also plenty to do, you're not living in a high-crime area, and you can enjoy beautiful (albeit humid) weather year-round.

I would pick NOVA just cause elftown goes to umd. Also the people at UMDNJ smell bad

Last edited:
I chose NSU over other schools I was accepted to mainly because I like the fact that core rotation sites are nearby and well-connected with the university. The cost of living is comparatively high in relation to most of the country (tuition is about on par with most other DO schools) , but given where I live right now it's quite a bit cheaper. They've also got a high board pass rate (95%+) and their most recent match list isn't bad at all (posted on SDN somewhere)

There's also plenty to do, you're not living in a high-crime area, and you can enjoy beautiful (albeit humid) weather year-round.
Can you provide some numbers for the cost of living for NSU? Do you think their posted CoA is accurate? Did you live on campus, or off? Sorry for the questions, but they would be a big help.

Can you provide some numbers for the cost of living for NSU? Do you think their posted CoA is accurate? Did you live on campus, or off? Sorry for the questions, but they would be a big help.

Here's a link to the flyer they hand out at your interview:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16122&d=1297999539

Now, PLEASE read the following. Those numbers seem ridiculously high, and they are, but keep in mind that everything except tuition and fees is over-estimated. Believe it or not this is NSU actually doing you a favor. By listing such large amounts on their budget for the year, they allow their students to be eligible for higher amounts of loan assistance.

As far as rent, etc. You can expect a 1-bedroom apartment to run anywhere in the neighborhood of $1000-$1600 monthly in davie/plantation. If you have the option, I'd strongly consider roommates or buying a small place.

You heard me right. Turns out, that with rent being what it is, and the price of foreclosed homes being what it is---buying a small home or condo is actually cheaper than renting in the long run....provided you're not keen on keeping the property.

so what did the op decide on?