NPTE Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone shed some light on what the NPTE exam covers? Since so much people have been posting about choosing the cheaper school if money is the issue (all other factors like location etc. aside). Then I would like some information on what exactly the exam covers in order to get a license. Do you have to take the NPTE in every state that you practice in? I have shadowed PTs that have multiple licenses because of the different states they have practiced in but I didn't get a chance to ask them if they have to take an exam in each state.

Members don't see this ad.

The NPTE covers everything you learn in PT school. So you have to study every aspect of PT. It is a very broad test.

You are required to take and pass the NPTE to become a PT as it is the national licensure exam. It is our version of the medical boards, or the law Bar exam. No way around it.

In addtion, some states require a jurisprudence exam.

Once you pass one (or both), you are eligible to get your license in the state that you applied for when you registered for the test.

When you pass the NPTE you can get your license in any state at any point but will have to apply to that state, have your scores transeferred, etc.