NRG BR008 another day and another radiation omission trial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barcelona PSG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1678792294941.png

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
So far I have been able to successfully push back on BR007 at my hospital by offering 30/5 partial breast with the rationale that they're young. I'm hoping I can do the same with this trial, but I know my med oncs will push this aggressively for older patients.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an omission guy.

That being said, this is a different question. These women almost never recur. This isn't a 10% to 1% reduction that we are going to poo poo and say "let's skip RT". Her2Neu+ patients that pCR have an incredibly good outcome.

I think it is really hard to separate relevant trials like this versus PRIME II, DEBRA (maybe that's wrong acronym, but whatever other ****ty omission trial), etc. When 80+% of the research is trash, then even the good trials start smelling like it.

Reactions: 4 users
You know this is a POS trial because they allow HR therapy in both arms, as if HR therapy is less toxic than radiation therapy.

Reactions: 6 users
You know this is a POS trial because they allow HR therapy in both arms, as if HR therapy is less toxic than radiation therapy.
That’s fair. That could have omitted / randomized out, too

Reactions: 1 user
Result = inferior locoregional control with omission of radiation

Publication = The authors conclude that it is indicated to omit radiation. Furthermore we speculate that radiation omission in all cases of pCR (including TNBR) can be reasonably extrapolated.

ASTRO = We are good until 2030 baby!

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I'm not an omission guy.

That being said, this is a different question. These women almost never recur. This isn't a 10% to 1% reduction that we are going to poo poo and say "let's skip RT". Her2Neu+ patients that pCR have an incredibly good outcome.

I think it is really hard to separate relevant trials like this versus PRIME II, DEBRA (maybe that's wrong acronym, but whatever other ****ty omission trial), etc. When 80+% of the research is trash, then even the good trials start smelling like
That’s fair. That could have omitted / randomized out, too
Imagine NRG trying to do a trial similar to this.

1678800524483.png

Reactions: 3 users
Result = inferior locoregional control with omission of radiation

Publication = The authors conclude that it is indicated to omit radiation. Furthermore we speculate that radiation omission in all cases of pCR (including TNBR) can be reasonably extrapolated.

ASTRO = We are good until 2030 baby!
Who are the radoncs involved in this trial? Just curious if they are cheering residency expansion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Few emails got thrown around yesterday with this. Our chair wants to open it, which honestly I’m not super opposed, but I’m trying to remember the last time I saw a patient who was eligible. N+ are excluded afaik.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an omission guy.

Do we really know that? Do we have the data for this? All patient have received RT so far.
Why was this randomized trial not planned as a single-arm trial first? Or some other trial already report outcomes? It seems to be recruiting, still: Omission of Radiation in Patients With Her-2 Positive Breast Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Do we really know that? Do we have the data for this? All patient have received RT so far.
“Really” know, no. You have to look at data (from like in the link I posted above) where 0 out of 2000 women (most were irradiated, but even so if all were irradiated…) fail locally, we conditionally begin to know that RT is unnecessary. For many stage I nowadays we trot out the local control argument because OS advantage is a non starter. Now, when a non RT treatment chips away at RT’s LC primacy… les jeux sont fais. Translation: the game is up. (Ed Rooney, not great at French.)

Hope that the old Tyler Durden adage holds up. Rock bottom etc.

Can envision RO faculty on the spectrum going ultra gaslight with that one… “well its all relative”

I'm not an omission guy.

I think it is really hard to separate relevant trials like this versus PRIME II, DEBRA (maybe that's wrong acronym, but whatever other ****ty omission trial), etc. When 80+% of the research is trash, then even the good trials start smelling like it.
Agreed, given how hard we’ve been bent it’s easy to chalk everything up as such.

All fair points.

Just saying, 20 years ago, we likely would not collectively be as down about this study.

The past and present make it hard to be excited about what we have to offer.

But wait! Another gender and race study in one of our journals! "ongoing efforts are needed ... "

All fair points.

Just saying, 20 years ago, we likely would not collectively be as down about this study.

The past and present make it hard to be excited about what we have to offer.

But wait! Another gender and race study in one of our journals! "ongoing efforts are needed ... "
20 years ago, the prevailing paradigm was that no drug could completely sterilize a solid tumor.

We will see what studies show, but we may be pleasantly surprised like dose de-escalation for p16 positive hn cancer.

20 years ago, the prevailing paradigm was that no drug could completely sterilize a solid tumor.
Where are our best evidences and examples of this nowadays. Breast. Lung. Colorectal. Lymphomas (“semisolid” tumor I guess). Maybe the majority of discovered prostate tumors never need sterilization in the first place per the news this week. Maybe first hints in pancreatic (thanks COVID).

We will see what studies show, but we may be pleasantly surprised like dose de-escalation for p16 positive hn cancer.

You do know that they will continue to ask this question until they get the answer they want

Do you know if this is progressing to a phase III in a cooperative group?
Wouldn’t surprise me if it did. There are some big surgical and rad onc names on that author list. Accrual will be hard