nrmp match data...im confused?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluelamin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i was just looking at the 2020 nrmp match data through the various specialties. when i came across radonc literally everyone who applied ended up matching except 1 person (who had a step score>250). literally every single person matched with step scores ranging from 191 to 250. the most common ranges being 230-240 and 240-250 with 24 people from each range matching. is this a sign of hope? or is the job market still so ****ty which made med students so scared to apply that now there are more than enough spaces in the residency programs??

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
so i was just looking at the 2020 nrmp match data through the various specialties. when i came across radonc literally everyone who applied ended up matching except 1 person (who had a step score>250). literally every single person matched with step scores ranging from 191 to 250. the most common ranges being 230-240 and 240-250 with 24 people from each range matching. is this a sign of hope? or is the job market still so ****ty which made med students so scared to apply that now there are more than enough spaces in the residency programs??

That

Read the related threads. The number of positions has increased dramatically over the last two decades. This increase was mirrored in the number of US Seniors that applied but two years ago everything changed and the number of US Seniors applying in RO fell. It is speculation to explain the decrease in US Senior interest but is likely multi-factorial: poor job market, onerous board process, limited geographic choices...

Quick summary in paper atttached

As others have suggested you should consider other specialties

Attachments

• Unfilled Positions in the 2020 Radiation Oncology Residency Match_ No Longer an Isolated Event.pdf
    319.8 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
damn i thought radonc was lookin like a snacc....i guess not anymore

but wont the dearth of future people occupying jobs as rad oncs end up creating a demand for those docs?

I remember seeing the applications with 190s. These people matched. You best hire within few years folks before you are scrapping bottom of barrel.

but wont the dearth of future people occupying jobs as rad oncs end up creating a demand for those docs?

Yes, there are fewer American MD/DO seniors applying to RadOnc. However, there are a ton of foreign medical grads applying and matching, and other kids are SOAPing. All available slots are filled.

So unfortunately there is no net decrease in residents. The oversupply continues to worsen.

I remember seeing the applications with 190s. These people matched. You best hire within few years folks before you are scrapping bottom of barrel.
what does this mean lol like should i even consider this specialty or no cuz of the quality of the programs will decline based on the people they are accepting....

• Haha
what does this mean lol like should i even consider this specialty or no cuz of the quality of the programs will decline based on the people they are accepting....
If you're willing to accept a combined ~50% probability of being under/unemployed (that's a ~10% probability) the first year out of residency or needing to move to a random location 100-1000 miles from where you would want to live after residency, and you really, really like rad onc, then you should consider.

Agree with @scarbrtj - do you like gambling? What's your risk tolerance? Do you love RadOnc with your heart and soul? There will be good RadOnc jobs available to new grads every year - just like people win Powerball all the time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with @scarbrtj - do you like gambling? What's your risk tolerance? Do you love RadOnc with your heart and soul? There will be good RadOnc jobs available to new grads every year - just like people win Powerball all the time.
Medstudents are rightfully a risk averse group when it comes to their career. When you put the choice in these terms, it really makes me question the intelligence/judgement of those entering the field? Yes, I know a small component will be in total love with the specialty (which I would argue is still a false passion), but many may just not have sound judgement.

Medstudents are rightfully a risk averse group when it comes to their career. When you put the choice in these terms, it really makes me question the intelligence/judgement of those entering the field? Yes, I know a small component will be in total love with the specialty (which I would argue is still a false passion), but many may just not have sound judgement.

This is the best analogy I've come up with to describe the current state of RadOnc, though it obviously is hyperbole to an extent. The simple fact is we are producing more Radiation Oncologists than there are "good" jobs and seem to be pushing towards a point where there aren't even enough "bad" jobs. But, there really isn't a 1:1 correlation between how hard someone works and their chances of getting a good job. There's SO MUCH LUCK involved in this that it's absurd. So to me, RadOnc is Powerball. Are people winning? Absolutely! Do you have to play Powerball to win Powerball? You bet. Is your money better spent elsewhere to maximize your return on investment? Probably...

Hmm, surprised by all this talk about board scores. Haven't many of our up-and-coming medical leaders including the PD at the most prestigious rad onc program in the US told us board scores don't determine quality?

• Haha

I’ll speak to you in penguin language: think of it as the ice is melting. The polar bears are starving (no fish lines,or bread). The penguins are so desperate they are trying to learn how to fly.

• Haha
Hmm, surprised by all this talk about board scores. Haven't many of our up-and-coming medical leaders including the PD at the most prestigious rad onc program in the US told us board scores don't determine quality?
Many of the established "leaders" probably got those same scores themselves back in the day

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Scraping the barrel?

perhaps there is a better way to make your point.

• Haha
Scraping the barrel?

perhaps there is a better way to make your point.

pick your favourite analogy brother. Applicants should be aware of the pros and cons of rad onc before committing. It is an awesome field and rewarding. The leaders are pretty awful. There are significant geographic limitations and issues with the job market, board process without a clear solution or path. There are a lot of very aweful programs, many “established”, no clear path or initiative to force closure or improvement