NRMP match data. Questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was looking up the data and a couple of questions come to mind.

I saw things like volunteer experiences. People report like 5 volunteer experiences, what could they possibly be doing in med school to have that much volunteer work? I mean, I understand 1 or 2, like free clinic, etc. But 5?

Also another section is about work experience....... WHO WORKS during med school??????

Then for research. I see people reporting 3+ research projects, and 3+ research experiences. What does this mean?

I guess I am just shocked in how much people can do during med school.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was looking up the data and a couple of questions come to mind.

I saw things like volunteer experiences. People report like 5 volunteer experiences, what could they possibly be doing in med school to have that much volunteer work? I mean, I understand 1 or 2, like free clinic, etc. But 5?

Also another section is about work experience....... WHO WORKS during med school??????

Then for research. I see people reporting 3+ research projects, and 3+ research experiences. What does this mean?

I guess I am just shocked in how much people can do during med school.

First, it's not all in med school. Lots of people out there didn't go straight from college to med school and thus have plenty of work experience. Lots of people research in college, med school, in between, take years off, etc. Plenty of PhD/MD types out there and they fill out the same ERAS as well. Volunteering is usually prior to med school, but could be after college if a person didn't go straight from college to med school. In general, if you are gunning for a competitive specialty, you will want to have done some research in med school.

You will see some very impressive CVs coming out of med school. Many came into med school with lengthy CVs. Others take time off during or after med school to bolster their CVs.

TAing counts as work experience. Committees and clubs count as volunteering according to ERAS. So that explains the crazy high #s.