NRMP SOAP and DO scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheruka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am DO student currently in NRMP match. I have valid concerns about not matching this year. I am considering calling both DO and MD programs after the result comes out on the March 11th. Is there any problem with this? I don't think this is a problem because I have not signed a contract with anyone. BTW, I was registered for the DO match but withdrew.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am DO student currently in NRMP match. I have valid concerns about not matching this year. I am considering calling both DO and MD programs after the result comes out on the March 11th. Is there any problem with this? I don't think this is a problem because I have not signed a contract with anyone. BTW, I was registered for the DO match but withdrew.

If you fail to match, you can contact DO program with open spots since they're not in the NRMP Match and, once you fail to match, neither are you. But you can NOT contact NRMP programs outside of the SOAP process. See here for the details.

I don't think this is a problem because I have not signed a contract with anyone.

Agree with GutOnc, as usual. Just pointing out that registering with the NRMP involves signing a contract with them to play by the NRMP rules. So, as gutonc stated:

1. You can do anything you want with DO programs. You can call, interview, and get a spot anytime in match week if you find out you don't match. If you get a spot, you either withdraw from the match, or simply don't submit any rank lists in SOAP. Either way, all is good.

2. You can apply for MD positions via SOAP. The number you can apply to is limited, so choose wisely -- you only get 30 applications for the first round, and most positions disappear in the first day. Calling, emailing, or otherwise contacting programs is not allowed. Once you apply via ERAS and they contact you back with interest, then you can email/call all you want.

On sort of a similar topic, what would the difference be in terms of reapplying to a specialty the following year if you went with an osteopathic rotating internship vs a medicine prelim year (I guess EM specifically if it makes a difference)

Agree with GutOnc, as usual. Just pointing out that registering with the NRMP involves signing a contract with them to play by the NRMP rules. So, as gutonc stated:

1. You can do anything you want with DO programs. You can call, interview, and get a spot anytime in match week if you find out you don't match. If you get a spot, you either withdraw from the match, or simply don't submit any rank lists in SOAP. Either way, all is good.

2. You can apply for MD positions via SOAP. The number you can apply to is limited, so choose wisely -- you only get 30 applications for the first round, and most positions disappear in the first day. Calling, emailing, or otherwise contacting programs is not allowed. Once you apply via ERAS and they contact you back with interest, then you can email/call all you want.

Thank you for your responses. I feel that you guys help us out a lot here on this forum. I wish my school would be more helpful but that is a topic for another discussion.

If I already submitted applications on ERAS during the normal cycle, is there a reason to resubmit the applications? I applied heavily and most programs should already have access to my application.

I already submitted applications on ERAS during the normal cycle, is there a reason to resubmit the applications? I applied heavily and most programs should already have access to my application.

No. All of your files stay put for SOAP if needed. You can certainly add additional LORs or PS if you like (not necessary but some people will add an extra PS for FM or IM if they applied to another specialty) but otherwise you'll be fine.

I am in a similar boat as well. What if you matched Advance position and did not match the prelim PGY1 year. In this case can I still contact DO programs for their Traditional Rotating Internship spots and skip SOAP? my school just sent out a thing saying we cannot contact any DO programs during the match week if we are registered for the NRMP match. We can only do so until after the SOAP is over on 3/15

No. All of your files stay put for SOAP if needed. You can certainly add additional LORs or PS if you like (not necessary but some people will add an extra PS for FM or IM if they applied to another specialty) but otherwise you'll be fine.

So, if I don't resubmit my application at 2PM on the 11th how will the programs know I am interested in applying via SOAP if they already had my application from before? Will they automatically look at it?
Thanks!

I am in a similar boat as well. What if you matched Advance position and did not match the prelim PGY1 year. In this case can I still contact DO programs for their Traditional Rotating Internship spots and skip SOAP? my school just sent out a thing saying we cannot contact any DO programs during the match week if we are registered for the NRMP match. We can only do so until after the SOAP is over on 3/15

Yep, got the same email from AOA. So, no contacting DO programs till after 5PM Friday.

So, if I don't resubmit my application at 2PM on the 11th how will the programs know I am interested in applying via SOAP if they already had my application from before? Will they automatically look at it?
Thanks!

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. You do have to actually apply for programs in SOAP (up to 30 in round 1 IIRC). But you don't have to pay anything else and you don't have to upload anything else. You just click the buttons.

I received this e-mail:

Dear Students,

The AOA Council on Postdoctoral Training was informed of situations where osteopathic medical students were cited by the National Resident Match Program (NRMP) for seeking, receiving, or signing commitments from osteopathic programs during last year’s Match Week.

The NRMP administers a Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) during the week of the Allopathic Match, beginning 12 p.m. EST on Monday, March 11. Students who are applying to ACGME programs must not contact AOA residency programs during this week. Recruitment can resume once SOAP has completed at 5 p.m. EST on Friday, March 15.

So if one has entered the ACGME match, didn't match, they cannot contact AOA programs until after March 15th? That's what this sounds like it is saying.

if it true if a DO applies to both DO match anda NRMP and matches in DO match, then we move up on our NRMP match as DO applicant is out?

same w/ canadians, if one gets in canadian match, is it true we move up on NRMP match as one slot is less?

if it true if a DO applies to both DO match anda NRMP and matches in DO match, then we move up on our NRMP match as DO applicant is out?

same w/ canadians, if one gets in canadian match, is it true we move up on NRMP match as one slot is less?

If one matches AOA or Canadian they are withdrawn from NRMP before it is even run.

in either case, isn't it a good news as there are less people possibly on program's ROL

bumping this questions as there wasn't really a clear answer. I'm matching MD anesthesia and I've ranked 13 programs, so I'm not worried about matching. But I did only rank 5 prelim programs to pair to my advanced ranks. If I match advanced but not to a prelim, I plan on just scrambling into a DO TRI in my area, as there are tons of open spots.

When can I call these programs? How do I notify the NRMP that I was accepted to a DO internship so that I don't lose my advanced spot. How LONG do I have to secure an intern spot before my advanced match is revoked?

1. It's not so clear. The NRMP states that applicants are not allowed to contact non-NRMP participating programs. But it's not clear that would really hold up under scrutiny. Any AOA program that is using NRMP for anything can't consider you until the end of match week. So overall it's probably best to wait until the end of the week.

2. You don't tell the NRMP anything. The only way you lose your advanced match is your advanced program requesting a waiver. As long as you get a spot, you're fine.

3. You have until it's physically impossible to get a PGY-1 spot in time.

1. It's not so clear. The NRMP states that applicants are not allowed to contact non-NRMP participating programs. But it's not clear that would really hold up under scrutiny. Any AOA program that is using NRMP for anything can't consider you until the end of match week. So overall it's probably best to wait until the end of the week.

2. You don't tell the NRMP anything. The only way you lose your advanced match is your advanced program requesting a waiver. As long as you get a spot, you're fine.

3. You have until it's physically impossible to get a PGY-1 spot in time.

Makes sense, thanks so much aprog, your insight on these forums is amazing!

can you do an AOA TRI and have satisfy the intern year for an ACGME advanced residency? Just wondering since they recently said that an ACGME residency will be required to do an ACGME fellowship (all moot soon enough with the AOA/ACGME merger).

can you do an AOA TRI and have satisfy the intern year for an ACGME advanced residency? Just wondering since they recently said that an ACGME residency will be required to do an ACGME fellowship (all moot soon enough with the AOA/ACGME merger).
I'm pretty sure he laid out his question very clearly and there had not been a reply since his inquiry ......