Nsgy match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvelocity514

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Depends on the program. Not a huge deal to many, as there have been matches for the first graduating class of both VTC and TCMC within the last couple of years. I'm sure Hofstra won't have a problem either.

2. This question doesn't really make sense. You will be aiming to get the highest score you can and not "settling" for a 240, trust me. Once you get a score you can ask if it's good enough.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Depends on the program. Not a huge deal to many, as there have been matches for the first graduating class of both VTC and TCMC within the last couple of years. I'm sure Hofstra won't have a problem either.

2. This question doesn't really make sense. You will be aiming to get the highest score you can and not "settling" for a 240, trust me. Once you get a score you can ask if it's good enough.

Awesome, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also say that it also depends a bit on if you have a neurosurgery department in your medical school. Private practice folks will be okay for research, but it definitely will require you to do more away rotations (at least three) if you don't have a home institution to write you a chairman/program director letter. Neurosurgeons only care about letters from other neurosurgeons, but those in private practice may not be well recognized enough to bear as much weight except perhaps at the program where they trained.

I would also say that it also depends a bit on if you have a neurosurgery department in your medical school. Private practice folks will be okay for research, but it definitely will require you to do more away rotations (at least three) if you don't have a home institution to write you a chairman/program director letter. Neurosurgeons only care about letters from other neurosurgeons, but those in private practice may not be well recognized enough to bear as much weight except perhaps at the program where they trained.

That's great advice- thank you! We don't have a home program. I am working with an endovascular neurosurgeon currently and doing research with a peds nsgn as well. I know they are not solely academics so that will be tough. I will definitely do as many aways as possible in hopes of scoring a chairman/pd letter. We have to do step 1 earlier (finish by early May) . Should I try to find a summer research program at a school with a home department since we technically can get a second summer? (They also let us do electives early if we want )

That's great advice- thank you! We don't have a home program. I am working with an endovascular neurosurgeon currently and doing research with a peds nsgn as well. I know they are not solely academics so that will be tough. I will definitely do as many aways as possible in hopes of scoring a chairman/pd letter. We have to do step 1 earlier (finish by early May) . Should I try to find a summer research program at a school with a home department since we technically can get a second summer? (They also let us do electives early if we want )

If there is one nearby that you are considering also for sub-is then it isn't a bad idea, but ultimately it isn't going to make you all that much more competitive. If you think you'd have a better chance of publishing I'd do research with the people you are currently with all summer.