NSSR Masters Program or part-time RA job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pankova21

Reaction score
HI all! Thank you in advance for your assistance. I spent this year applying to Psychology Masters, Psychology Post-Bacc, and Pre-Med Post-Bacc programs (to pursue Research Psychiatry). My background is in the Social Sciences (high undergrad GPA, only 1 intro psych and 1 intro neuroscience course) and I used the year to speak with people in my intended fields of study and research. I’ve been encouraged that an Clinical Psychology PhD is probably the most appropriate training for my goals and a more direct route than training as a research psychiatrist. Having a strong neurobiological understanding is very important to me so I had thought medicine for that reason, but recently learned that some Clinical Psych PhD programs have dedicated Neuroscience tracks within them.

Onto my question. I was accepted to The New School for Social Research’s MA in General Psychology Program, which I have heard and read both positive and negative things about. I received a 55% scholarship to attend, which still amounts to a considerable debt load for the two years. What drew me there was a specific lab that I have been in contact with since last Fall. I know that MA entry does not guarantee entry to the very competitive PhD program at the school. On the other hand, I was able to secure a part time job as an RA in a Neuroscience Lab. I thought about taking this year to do neuroscience research, and shadow some MDs and really make 100% I know which path to go with before going into debt (with I also got into Post-back PreMed programs for next year with med school linkages, I did not get into the Post-bac Psych program I applied for).

I have heard repeatedly that Clinical Psych PhDs are now more competitive than medical school. I am torn between starting at The New School in the fall since the lab I can hopefully work with is my exact area of focus, or if it is wiser to do further research before going into debt. I think for me to be competitive for a Clinical Psych PhD I’d need a few more years of research experience and I’d need to fill in the gaps with my coursework. A supportive but challenging post-bac premed with linkages to med school felt like the safer bet originally, esp hearing that NSSR is more competitive. But so many people have told me that I will be taking a very indirect route to my goals of doing research and teaching and seeing clients. I am interested in Internal Family Systems, expanded states of consciousness, integration, complex ptsd, attachment disorders, dissociation, and also psychoneuroimmunology.

Members don't see this ad.

This isn’t answering your direct question, but you’ll need more than the two courses you have listed to meet basic application/entry requirements at both schools. These can be easy to get through online classes (at brick and mortar institutions) or potentially community college classes. Very possible no matter which route you take, but wanted to make sure you were thinking about and looking at course requirements well before applying!

Reactions: 1 user
On the other hand, I was able to secure a part time job as an RA in a Neuroscience Lab. I thought about taking this year to do neuroscience research, and shadow some MDs and really make 100% I know which path to go with before going into debt (with I also got into Post-back PreMed programs for next year with med school linkages, I did not get into the Post-bac Psych program I applied for).
Given that you're uncertain, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably take the RA offer since an MA in psychology + significant debt provides few real-world benefits. And you can always re-apply for an MA next year.

Getting involved in a lab can also open up opportunities to network for the near future, which could provide more benefit than an MA. .
I have heard repeatedly that Clinical Psych PhDs are now more competitive than medical school.
By the numbers, probably. But each program will get a range of 'junk' applications from students because minimum requirements are much lower than med school (3.0 undergrad GPA/GRE/1 personal statement versus MCAT/EC hours/multiple personal statements). True competitiveness will vary program by program and lab by lab. I'm sure there are labs that receive dozens of great applicants and others that receive only a handful for a variety of reasons.

Maybe the biggest difference is that a great med school candidate could probably get into most MDs and just abot every DO whereas it's much harder to pre-determine just how competitive a psych candidate will be due to the importance of fit, which by definition, is subjective.
I am interested in Internal Family Systems, expanded states of consciousness, integration, complex ptsd, attachment disorders, dissociation, and also psychoneuroimmunology.
I think it's great to be interested in a wide range of things. One thing to consider is the importance of figuring out what interests to focus on during graduate training and your PhD research and how/whether they fall within the common parameters of clinical psych (and what you might do on your own time).

For example, I don't think you'll find much/any support for pursuing IFS clinical training or research in a typical clinical psych program since it's a systems-based approach. And some people in clinical psych may potentially view an IFS interest in a negative fashion (e.g., people who think the only way to do therapy is rigidly following an EBP protocol), which speaks to the importance of finding a good fit on your end as well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user