NST Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stitchattack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who is good with the NST passages, how do you guys do it? It seems I do worse on the NST passages..sometimes getting 3 wrong! Sometimes I feel the passages say some fact about one thing in the first passage then like 3 passages later they go "But wait..what we said in the first passage isn't really true." Just curious how you guys keep track of the facts. It takes me longer to get through the NST questions and it eats up a lot of time that I could be using for other passages. I know the point of VR is not to memorize what you read but just for the sake of keeping track of the facts, I'm curious how you guys are doing that. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone who is good with the NST passages, how do you guys do it? It seems I do worse on the NST passages..sometimes getting 3 wrong! Sometimes I feel the passages say some fact about one thing in the first passage then like 3 passages later they go "But wait..what we said in the first passage isn't really true." Just curious how you guys keep track of the facts. It takes me longer to get through the NST questions and it eats up a lot of time that I could be using for other passages. I know the point of VR is not to memorize what you read but just for the sake of keeping track of the facts, I'm curious how you guys are doing that. Thanks!
I kinda ignore all the factoids they are throwing at you but read it for their meaning. For example, they may be talking about specifics of tectonic plates but why are they discussing these facts? What do all these facts being discussed have in common? Try to understand that as your reading.

Obviously you want to refer back to the relevant paragraph for the facts if that is required to answer the question. Do so by evaluating each answer choice individually with the specific factoid from the paragraph. These questions probably eat up more time than usual because you have to dive back down into the passage to find the exact location of the nitty gritty detail they are testing you on. But it is imperative you locate it if you want to answer the question correctly. If you're really pressed for time for these types of questions (i.e. taking you like 2 mins to answer a detail question like this), then simply guess and move on so you have more time for the question categories you are able to answer more accurately.

Also, you should realize when authors offer a rebuttal that counter the claims they previously made, it is often done so to advance an argument rationally in an unbiased manner. These compositions are well-developed arguments that present both sides of the issue. Here it is key that you know exactly WHAT the author is refuting or countering, because a lot of times, the questions jumble up the assertions author actually counters vs those he doesn't.

I always take 20 secs after reading every passage to review the entire passage as a whole, looking at my highlights and just doing this really helps me get the overall gist of the passage. It also helps me identify argumentative structure the author used "presenting some ideas initially but ending it by refuting them". Then and only do I move on to the questions.

I kinda ignore all the factoids they are throwing at you but read it for their meaning. For example, they may be talking about specifics of tectonic plates but why are they discussing these facts? What do all these facts being discussed have in common? Try to understand that as your reading.

Obviously you want to refer back to the relevant paragraph for the facts if that is required to answer the question. Do so by evaluating each answer choice individually with the specific factoid from the paragraph. These questions probably eat up more time than usual because you have to dive back down into the passage to find the exact location of the nitty gritty detail they are testing you on. But it is imperative you locate it if you want to answer the question correctly. If you're really pressed for time for these types of questions (i.e. taking you like 2 mins to answer a detail question like this), then simply guess and move on so you have more time for the question categories you are able to answer more accurately.

Also, you should realize when authors offer a rebuttal that counter the claims they previously made, it is often done so to advance an argument rationally in an unbiased manner. These compositions are well-developed arguments that present both sides of the issue. Here it is key that you know exactly WHAT the author is refuting or countering, because a lot of times, the questions jumble up the assertions author actually counters vs those he doesn't.

I always take 20 secs after reading every passage to review the entire passage as a whole, looking at my highlights and just doing this really helps me get the overall gist of the passage. It also helps me identify argumentative structure the author used "presenting some ideas initially but ending it by refuting them". Then and only do I move on to the questions.

Thanks for your advice. I'll just have to spend my time wisely for those passages and if I cannot figure it out then just move on. They eat up way too much time to look over the details and make sure it's not contradicted in another section.