NSU College of Allopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My only hope is that NSU will share research and residency resources with their DO class.

But honestly I think the biggest punch in the stomach to NSUCOM students will be when the first NSUSOM student's match list exceeds the COM's match list by a landslide despite probably having at best an average Step 1 score not too much higher.

My only hope is that NSU will share research and residency resources with their DO class.

But honestly I think the biggest punch in the stomach to NSUCOM students will be when the first NSUSOM student's match list exceeds the COM's match list by a landslide despite probably having at best an average Step 1 score not too much higher.
Did you notice the amount of fail in the article?

Allopathic is an alternative form of medicine while osteopathic medicine focuses on the body’s natural ability to heal itself.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is just my 2 cents, but this school will be a disappointment. Florida has more than enough medical schools and this school will not add anything except more pressure on the existing residencies in FL. FIU already accept students that are, statistically speaking, below average from the rest of the Florida schools. I imagine that Nova will accept an even lower standard of students. With FIU's growth, many students have mentioned that students in Nova's osteopathic program are being "shipped" to Tampa and Orlando to complete their clinical clerkships. Where are these "Allopathic" students going to go? Nova's largest teaching hospital, Broward Health in Ft. Lauterdale, has signed a partnership with FIU to open a dozen new residency programs and convert the existing AOA residencies to ACGME. I'm not even going to mention LECOM-Bradenton's tradition of shipping most BRADENTON students to PHILADELPHIA for a year to complete their clinical years. Also, I'm curious about facilities. Nova's Health Professions division is already overcrowded with students mentioning a consolidation of basic science courses, like physiology, interprofessional medicine, etc. Finally, MSUCOM's MD partner, MSU College of Human Medicine is a snub with minimal campus resources and research opportunities. I am suspecting that Nova's MD partner will see a similar fate.

Also, as a Californian, I am just so confused. Our state has a population of ~40 million not counting the undocumented. We have 10 medical schools (11 if you count CNU). If my math is correct, this will be Florida's 11th medical campus. Florida has a population of ~20 million. How many geriatricians does Florida need?!?!?

Reactions: 3 users
This is just my 2 cents, but this school will be a disappointment. Florida has more than enough medical schools and this school will not add anything except more pressure on the existing residencies in FL. FIU already accept students that are, statistically speaking, below average from the rest of the Florida schools. I imagine that Nova will accept an even lower standard of students. With FIU's growth, many students have mentioned that students in Nova's osteopathic program are being "shipped" to Tampa and Orlando to complete their clinical clerkships. Where are these "Allopathic" students going to go? Nova's largest teaching hospital, Broward Health in Ft. Lauterdale, has signed a partnership with FIU to open a dozen new residency programs and convert the existing AOA residencies to ACGME. I'm not even going to mention LECOM-Bradenton's tradition of shipping most BRADENTON students to PHILADELPHIA for a year to complete their clinical years. Also, I'm curious about facilities. Nova's Health Professions division is already overcrowded with students mentioning a consolidation of basic science courses, like physiology, interprofessional medicine, etc. Finally, MSUCOM's MD partner, MSU College of Human Medicine is a snub with minimal campus resources and research opportunities. I am suspecting that Nova's MD partner will see a similar fate.

NOVA is a private school, it's free to accept students from across the country. Likewise from what I understand they're building a hospital and a research center. Which unfortunately their DO students probably won't benefit at all from because.

Also, as a Californian, I am just so confused. Our state has a population of ~40 million not counting the undocumented. We have 10 medical schools (11 if you count CNU). If my math is correct, this will be Florida's 11th medical campus. Florida has a population of ~20 million. How many geriatricians does Florida need?!?!?

How many CA schools are in a position to afford or actually want a medical school?

NOVA is a private school, it's free to accept students from across the country. Likewise from what I understand they're building a hospital and a research center. Which unfortunately their DO students probably won't benefit at all from because.

The state of Florida has been denying the new hospital since 2013. The new proposal, which the state has not approved yet, is regarding the move of Plantation General Hospital owned by Hospital Corporation of America, not NSU. The proposal states that the hospital would be 100 beds in size. The state hasn't approved it yet. Also, even if they do decide to build the new hospital, it won't make a large difference because NSUCOM students already rotate at the existing Plantation General Hospital which is actually much larger than 100 beds but is a huge money hole because of how low the bed occupancy is (hence the proposal to move it near NSU). Also, the research center is for the entire NSU campus, not just the health professions division. From my understanding, only about half the building will be used for medical research. NSU is arguing the prospects of potential "clinical trial research in a new building" as a selling point to convince the state to build the hospital near the Davie campus. I suspect/predict that the majority of research that comes out of that building will build upon NSU's marine biology and oceanography research traditions.

Well that sucks. I guess all AOA residencies are being converted to ACGME, but I had assumed that programs would remain affiliated with DO schools and would thus have a reason to keep the focus on DO applicants.

Why did NSU drop the ball on maintaining their Broward affiliation?

I'm an NSUCOM student. We don't like it much.

My understanding is that they will use some of the same professors, but I may be wrong.

Shirts are already available.

Printed: "College of Allopathic Medicine". Lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not a current student but according to NSUCOM's website, http://osteopathic.nova.edu/do/clinical_rotation.html, it looks like NSU still has a lot of rotation sites in South Florida therefore shipping a large number of students away to Orlando and Tampa is not something I have heard about during my research of this school

Also, do you have a source on Broward Health's partnership with FIU for those AOA to ACGME residencies? I wasn't able to find anything in my limited search.

The new Allopathic school is planned to be opened in North Miami Beach which is 30 mins away (~18 miles) from the main campus where the Osteopathic school is located. The research building is opening this spring literally right next to the DO school and the proposed hospital is going to be on the main campus. Seems like those two (especially the research) will benefit the DO students more than the MD ones.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you notice the amount of fail in the article?

Allopathic is an alternative form of medicine while osteopathic medicine focuses on the body’s natural ability to heal itself.

Journalists, god bless em.

Honestly, I think designations these days are dangerous. I've already said before we have too many weird doctorates running around claiming to do medicine. Muddling the
I'm not a current student but according to NSUCOM's website, http://osteopathic.nova.edu/do/clinical_rotation.html, it looks like NSU still has a lot of rotation sites in South Florida therefore shipping a large number of students away to Orlando and Tampa is not something I have heard about during my research of this school

Also, do you have a source on Broward Health's partnership with FIU for those AOA to ACGME residencies? I wasn't able to find anything in my limited search.

The new Allopathic school is planned to be opened in North Miami Beach which is 30 mins away (~18 miles) from the main campus where the Osteopathic school is located. The research building is opening this spring literally right next to the DO school and the proposed hospital is going to be on the main campus. Seems like those two (especially the research) will benefit the DO students more than the MD ones.

Except they won't. DOs will rotate where they once did and their MD counterparts will rotate in their new nice hospital.

Regardless, I'm very disillusioned at the fact that a single school will have enormous disparity in their match statistics just because one school has a DO and the other a MD.

Members don't see this ad :)

....o_O

Allopathic is the true form of medicine while osteopathic medicine focuses on the magic's ability to heal body itself.

Fixed :cigar:

Reactions: 3 users
Geeze, another school in the Southeast?! Between Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and the Carolinas....jesus, good luck with residency selections! HAHAHA!

Where is this stuff about Nova losing out with Broward Health coming from? amazing the stuff people can just invent out of thin air.

Henry your profile says pre-med, is that old information or are you in med school now? and are you still in california?

btw no one gets "shipped" to Tampa... Largo hospital was the most popular core site in the Nova lottery for M2s this year.

Where is this stuff about Nova losing out with Broward Health coming from? amazing the stuff people can just invent out of thin air.

Henry your profile says pre-med, is that old information or are you in med school now? and are you still in california?

btw no one gets "shipped" to Tampa... Largo hospital was the most popular core site in the Nova lottery for M2s this year.
Any claim of NSUCOM losing rotation spots at Broward is fabrication. The COM has a new agreement with HCA to EXPAND medical education sites for their students - that's straight from the Dean's mouth, but I guess what does she know? This year, there were 60-70 spots for Broward Health as there always are, and many more spots at other HCA hospitals in the area.

Largo was definitely the most desired location this year, with twice as many people listing it as their top choice as there were spots. Orlando was in high demand as well, and ran out of its spots before the halfway point of the lottery. They are both heavily DO-leaning hospitals in terms of medical education, even with the merger they aren't going to take many, if any, of the MD students in the future. The least sought-after locations (there is only one that is particularly unpopular, actually) are in Miami-Dade county...I'm pretty sure nobody gets "shipped" anywhere farther than 40 minutes away from campus. Few students actually want to remain in Davie anyway. You almost certainly do not have to leave Miami-Ft. Lauderdale for rotations if you don't want to.

I do agree, though, that it might be tough for the MD school to make room for its students in the area. I'm pretty sure core site agreements are with the COM, not the university. They can't just reallocate them at will, the CAM (lol) is going to have to make its own arrangements.

Last edited:
I don't know how things work at other schools, but at NSU, the slow trickle of facts from administration creates an environment conducive to rumor.

For those who do not know, NSU COM recently changed deans (rumors about why are rampant... maybe issues with the MD school, maybe personality issues, maybe AOA--> ACGME accreditation issues, etc) and with the change came a shakeup of the organization at the top.

This has almost no effect on students (their policy changes may, in time) but of course this doesn't stop students from gossiping and worrying endlessly.

Don't listen to talk about contracts with rotation sites and crap like that unless the information has a name attached. Like, a real life name on a newspaper article, or with a "Dean" in front and a "D.O." in back. Especially if that anonymous information comes from Missouri or California or Michigan via the internet.

Reactions: 1 user
Opening medical school must be a very lucrative business...
Rather than assume this is some kind of terrible indictment and sign of impending doom for NSUCOM, I look it at this way: NSU tried to expand its COM class size to 250, from the current number of 240. Those 10 seats add about $2M gross in extra tuition per year ($500k per class at the current average of ~$50k/year tuition times 4 classes). If I recall correctly, the AOA will not let them or anyone else expand beyond that.

Alternatively, NSU can open up an MD school with, what, 100-something seats? That's about $20M-$30M in tuition per year. If the university has the resources to set up an LCME-approved school of medicine, it seems like a no-brainer. Hell, given their location and the demand for MD admissions they can probably charge a lot more than $50k and fill up with no problems. NSU is a non-profit unviersity, but it is still extremely money-driven and is up there with DeVry and University of Phoenix in total amount of graduate-level student debt.

Reactions: 1 user
"I don't like omm anymore so I'm transferring to the allo campus"

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk