~~~~~ Nsu - Com Class Of 2009 ~~~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Two more test....then it's Miller Time! Keep pushin' guy's it's almost over :)

Members don't see this ad.

OK you current MS1s...time to do some clarification..what are your thoughts/responses/etc to the following post made by a person who graduated from NSU awhile ago:

As a former NSU student I was very disappointed at NSU. It is extremely student unfriendly. The dean has no regards for students opinions. They treat you like you are still in the kindergarden. Though this maybe the case to some degree across most DO schools but I think Nova really set a new standard on this one.

The clinical education varies greatly depending on the sites and most have a lot to be desired. You may see great cases at Broward General but the teaching might not be there. many rotations are essentially shadowing programs. Mt sini and university of Miami rotations are generally good and I have heard from a friend that they are talking to Cleveland Clinic Florida about clinical rotations. A friend of mine in the class ahead of me once told me that the school is not unlike a diploma mill because they have the curriculum, clinical rotations,and the buildings that they can claim to comprise the elements of a school but there is not much of substance to it. Essentially Nova has the hardware but not the software.

With regards to the board scores, it appears to be a perpetual issue. When I was there a few years back, the issue was asked to the dean. Other than telling us that Nova's passing rate is on par with the rest, the dean refused to give us the average, not even a ballpark number. I was told by someone in the know that the passing rate is avg but the majority of the students don't do all that well even though they passed. That said there were 3 people in my class (I know of)who scored in the 99 percentile on COMLEX. I graduated in 2003 so this may be outdated info but from Doctor Doogie4's post this may still be an issue.

The residency placement is probably better at NSU; however, myself and many of my classmates felt that we got the residencies we wanted INSPITE of the school not because of the school.

In general, many of my classmates dislike the school so much that we did not even want to go to the graduation. The med school does not even have its own graduation. It's university wide ceremony with the phamacy school, dental school, MPH, etc. The administration even knows that people don't want to go so the policy is that you will not get your diploma if you don't attend the ceremony. How sad . . .

There are probably some problems with other schools too but this is what I know of Nova from my experience there.

IS NSU as bad as this guy makes it sound?? In my opinion most of the bad complaints have been changed since he has left..but i could be wrong

First of all congrats to all my fellow classmates that made it through the last three weeks without having a nervous breakdown. Everyone enjoy there break.

To Mikey:

School is what you make of it. Are there things that could be better here...Yes. Every school has problems, you'll find it anywhere. Don't worry about things you can't change, if you are looking for a school where everyone is happy you'll never go to school. The thing you have to realize is that the school is here to make money, and you are replaceable. It is a privaledge to study medicine not a right. Once you realize this the better off you'll be. Keep your head down, do your **** and don't worry about what other people think, say or do. They don't make your career, you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
i totally agree..but i like to know what im getting myself into..i think preparing that mentality walking into school (knowing wat to expect) will only make it easier for me to adjust to the rigors of med school life..

thx for the input..anyone else?

btw doc2b..what is your opinion of NSU so far..i know its only been 1 semester for you..;)

mikey, as a second year at nsu, that previous poster is NOT FAR FROM THE TRUTH about the dean. the m1's may not have had enough exposure to the administration to be able to tell you how it really is.

OK..check..crappy dean..anything else i should know about the school? :)

hey wussup! i know that its kinda early for me to really say how the dean or the administration really is but i will tell you my experience so far.....i was accepted at 5 schools but i choose Nova and so far im loving this whole med school thing and didn't have any problems with the faculty or administration...our class size is huge but everyone is awesome. Personally i think it all depends on you, if you want a good residency all you have to do is study and do good on the boards, who cares what the class average or whatever is..my advice to you is not to worry about a thing!
btw: almost all the profs. are great, just watch out for Mayrovitz (Phisiology), he is...lets just say not so great..
Oh yeah...if you really wanna know what you are really getting into..just know that you will kinda have to do this studying thing quiet often...lol.
Goodluck!!

hey wussup! i know that its kinda early for me to really say how the dean or the administration really is but i will tell you my experience so far.....i was accepted at 5 schools but i choose Nova and so far im loving this whole med school thing and didn't have any problems with the faculty or administration...our class size is huge but everyone is awesome. Personally i think it all depends on you, if you want a good residency all you have to do is study and do good on the boards, who cares what the class average or whatever is..my advice to you is not to worry about a thing!
Oh yeah...if you really wanna know what you are really getting into..just know that you will kinda have to do this studying thing quiet often... :eek:
Goodluck!!

awesome...ok...now that we establish that the physio teacher is not so great..what is the best physio book to get? because im assuming we are going to have to teach everything to ourselves..which i am used to doing due to crapy teachers at my current university ;)

mikeypo0 said:
awesome...ok...now that we establish that the physio teacher is not so great..what is the best physio book to get? because im assuming we are going to have to teach everything to ourselves..which i am used to doing due to crapy teachers at my current university ;)

My advice to you is "Don't worry about it"....I studied my ass off for physiology and ended up with a B thanks to Dr. Mayorvitz final. If they curve like they say they should...I would probably have an A..but I'm not counting on it. Don't worry about which book to get now...just enjoy the few months you have left and try to live your life...spend time with your loved ones...and read good books, for pleasure...then worry about once school starts...nothing we say, or tell you to do could prepare you for what's about to happen to you starting the 1st week of august.... :)

Good luck!
Karina

mikeypo0 said:

ya like fin nor said....there is a vast difference between M1 n M2 yrs. I gotta admit...one BIG mistake i made before entering this school was that i only talked to M1's about how their school (NOVA) was. I never talked to an M2. Nevertheless, im here now...Its been quite a blast ...6 more mo to go woOo hOOoo.

mikeypo0 said:

Linda Costanzo Physiology - The Big Purple one not the BRS. It's awesome!

Doc 2b said:
Linda Costanzo Physiology - The Big Purple one not the BRS. It's awesome!
And also the smaller blue Costanzo book from the BRS series is great as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
mikeypo0 said:
I think you need to chill and relax a bit. Regardless of what the best text is or whatever, it's up to you to make the grade. Plus, you can simply go to the library and read texts there if you are worried.

I've been at nove for 3 semesters and RARELY have I used a text to clear up what is in the notes.

As far the note about Broward not teaching you..........that's a bunch of crap. From the M3's that I know, Broward General is the best rotation site(overall-not just the path that you see there) that is offered. True you have to work your A$$ off there but I hear it's worth it.

Every Med school has problems. Every med school has issues with administration. Every med school has a test almost every single week. Every med school you will find happy people and people that want to burn the school down. To the people that hate it here, it's likely that they would hate it anywhere they go. You get so stressed out sometimes that it's easy to blame the school, the dean, or a professor. but in the end it's up to you. Just think if you were somewhere else locked inside because it's freezing outside and you have to go shovel the snow..........now that would be depressing.

1max2nv said:
ya like fin nor said....there is a vast difference between M1 n M2 yrs. I gotta admit...one BIG mistake i made before entering this school was that i only talked to M1's about how their school (NOVA) was. I never talked to an M2. Nevertheless, im here now...Its been quite a blast ...6 more mo to go woOo hOOoo.
Dude, why is your name 1max2nv?? You douchebag. get ready for new years eve..........we are gonna have to ditch certain people though :laugh:

HoodyHoo said:
Dude, why is your name 1max2nv?? You douchebag. get ready for new years eve..........we are gonna have to ditch certain people though :laugh:
I really wish I was going to be back in FL for New Year's Eve. Wow, I never thought I'd hear myself saying that--I guess I like FL more than I thought I did. :-D

hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows how many electives are typically taken during MIV, and what months they are? I heard its better to get away rotations in before November for certain programs for match. Also, how difficult is it to set up an away rotation? Thanks again.

-Trent

rack said:
hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows how many electives are typically taken during MIV, and what months they are? I heard its better to get away rotations in before November for certain programs for match. Also, how difficult is it to set up an away rotation? Thanks again.

-Trent

First of all you are way ahead of yourself, I'm over half way throught M1 and it hurts my head to think that far....but here is the skinny. m4 year you can basically do anywhere you'd like as long as you do electives that are approved (which isn't hard if you go to a teaching hospital, which I'm assuming you would) and they fall within the guidelines. You'll learn much more about this during second year and some next year although we haven't had a lot, you really have a lot more things to worry about. I think there are 4 or 6 and it depends on how your 3rd year gets structured you may be able to transfer some electives. Just chill, enjoy the rest of the year, and drink all the beer you can. :oops:)

haha yeah i know im a big dork. the thing is i took this year off and im like... doing absolutely nothing. i REALLY should lay off the alcohol, as i still hang out with my fraternity brothers a bit too much (even for my own liking). anyways, im just trying to gather a comprehensive idea of what im in for and make sure i dont screw things up like i kinda did through my awesome habits during college. thanks again though!

Just wanted to keep this thread alive...and wish everyone good luck tomorrow...let's see what surprises Dr. Mayrovitz has for us! ;)

Much Love,
Karina

Man this thread is dying! We have to get more of our class on here. At least the Spawn of Satan wasn't too bad, 83.4 avg. better than most.

Doc 2b said:
Man this thread is dying! We have to get more of our class on here. At least the Spawn of Satan wasn't too bad, 83.4 avg. better than most.

Yeah, I was proud to see that average! I believe it was higher than all his other tests.... yay! no more!

Down with Burris! :mad:

That immunology test was wrong

Hello, Class of 2010 here and wondering if a laptop is helpful. If so what kind would you suggest? Thanks

hooray we're done with one more week. Only 11 more, God Damn It!, this is getting very old. Can't wait till Neuro is over, if I never see another spinal cord cross section it will be to soon.

About the laptop, I wouldn't find it helpful. The only thing I really have one for is to watch movies during class. K might tell you different I think she takes notes on hers, just a matter of preference. I currently have a toshiba, but I'm buying an apple.

if its not of use..why are you buying another laptop!!!...hehe

I definately do use my laptop more than most (for real purposes). It depends on the teacher, the lecture, etc. In general, I use it during any type of "review" and any teacher who doesn't have decent notes (there are one or two that I consistently type notes for).

I also do a fair share of goofing off with the laptop, pay my bills, etc.

Hey guys..i was wondering if the new rec center is done building..and if so..how is it ..thx

not finished yet...not sure when it is going to be done.

Dr. Shamus said something about April-May...

I think a laptop is pretty much essential for 2nd year. You have so many of these clinicians that show up for their lecture one minute before class begins. Then someone goes down to the podium and e-mails the Powerpoint file to the class, then you can just follow along on your laptop. :)

A laptop is also essential for classes like Medical Ethics, Rural Med, etc. for doing things unrelated to class....just dont' try to use it during Medical Jurisprudence.... ;)

I could never get through the day without my Mac! :thumbup:

Anyone else having tenesmus after the anal rape today?

I thought it was a little harder than I expected...Thanks to my anal study partner I picked up some of the picky points I would have missed on my own for sure.

Did you forget to pack your KY today???? tsk tsk..

DrMikeyLu said:
OK you current MS1s...time to do some clarification..what are your thoughts/responses/etc to the following post made by a person who graduated from NSU awhile ago:

As a former NSU student I was very disappointed at NSU. It is extremely student unfriendly. The dean has no regards for students opinions. They treat you like you are still in the kindergarden. Though this maybe the case to some degree across most DO schools but I think Nova really set a new standard on this one.

The clinical education varies greatly depending on the sites and most have a lot to be desired. You may see great cases at Broward General but the teaching might not be there. many rotations are essentially shadowing programs. Mt sini and university of Miami rotations are generally good and I have heard from a friend that they are talking to Cleveland Clinic Florida about clinical rotations. A friend of mine in the class ahead of me once told me that the school is not unlike a diploma mill because they have the curriculum, clinical rotations,and the buildings that they can claim to comprise the elements of a school but there is not much of substance to it. Essentially Nova has the hardware but not the software.

With regards to the board scores, it appears to be a perpetual issue. When I was there a few years back, the issue was asked to the dean. Other than telling us that Nova's passing rate is on par with the rest, the dean refused to give us the average, not even a ballpark number. I was told by someone in the know that the passing rate is avg but the majority of the students don't do all that well even though they passed. That said there were 3 people in my class (I know of)who scored in the 99 percentile on COMLEX. I graduated in 2003 so this may be outdated info but from Doctor Doogie4's post this may still be an issue.

The residency placement is probably better at NSU; however, myself and many of my classmates felt that we got the residencies we wanted INSPITE of the school not because of the school.

In general, many of my classmates dislike the school so much that we did not even want to go to the graduation. The med school does not even have its own graduation. It's university wide ceremony with the phamacy school, dental school, MPH, etc. The administration even knows that people don't want to go so the policy is that you will not get your diploma if you don't attend the ceremony. How sad . . .

There are probably some problems with other schools too but this is what I know of Nova from my experience there.

IS NSU as bad as this guy makes it sound?? In my opinion most of the bad complaints have been changed since he has left..but i could be wrong

This sounds about right to me (class of 2008 here). I couldn't argue with any of the points made in this post. One thing that has changed since the OP has left is the irresponsible growth the HPD has undertaken. A great comment was "Nova has the hardware but not the software." Well, with the addition of even more programs and even MORE students in the incoming class, Nova's hardware is obsolete. Not enough room on the hard drive. Try printing in the library or even getting a sandwich in the overpriced cafeteria during lunch. It's like walking in downtown Tokyo during rush hour. When I leave Nova I won't look back or give anything to them. We've both received what we needed (them tuition) and me a degree and we'll part ways when all is said and done without saying much of a goodbye. I'm heading to broward for rotations so I feel like I'll get good clinical experience...but some of my friends can not make the same claim because they'll be driving all over south florida "shadowing" some doctor in a medical plaza somewhere...F&cking sad if you ask me. If I could do it all over again..NYCOM or PCOM. Sucks to admit..but it's true :(

kaikai128 said:
I thought it was a little harder than I expected...Thanks to my anal study partner I picked up some of the picky points I would have missed on my own for sure.

Did you forget to pack your KY today???? tsk tsk..

Yep I forgot it, but thank goodness the test would have been the one that needed it. Heard 75 avg, ouch.

Yeah--I think I told you, but with an average like that--Hasty said there will be a curve...so I'm sure we'll all be good. :-D Hell, Even the radiology tech missed several radiology questions. Lovin it..

1 more week!!! I am about 1/2 way on vacation already...aaah.

F*ckin' Dun! So nice.....

congrats on finishin up your first years guys...hope you relax during summer :)

Anyone in the SOMA health insurance? Any Pros/ Cons?

hey danielle..according to stickboy's guide..its best to just get the school's insurance...its slightly more expensive..but the coverage is good...if you dont have stickboy's guide..i can email it to you

DrMikeyLu said:
hey danielle..according to stickboy's guide..its best to just get the school's insurance...its slightly more expensive..but the coverage is good...if you dont have stickboy's guide..i can email it to you

Ahhhh! I have that. Thanks, I will look it up :)

Let's keep this thread alive...

I don't feel so alive after that test today. :(

Yeah that sucked!!!!!! I think the past two weeks have been the worst weeks of my life. The delirium of second year is starting to set in. Remember the days of a week even month to study, that seems laughable now. We just thought we were busy. :(

...I just keep living in this dream world of, "The worst is over," "It gets better after this class," etc.... Ignorance is bliss.

Problem is I have said that at every step, I'm starting to get weary of how bad it's actually going to get.

Hey! Cheer up...after today it's two weeks before the next one!!! I think this is as good as it gets for the semester!!! :)

That two weeks went entirely too fast....:(