NSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying to decide bt a tablet PC and a macbook pro. I love apple computers but I've heard that tablets are very useful in med school. I am going to wait until this summer before making my final decision. Any advice welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone thinking of getting a tablet PC for next year??

I am seriously considering getting a tablet PC because it would be easier to draw the pictures right on to the computer while typing up the notes. But, there is a good chance, I might just stick with a regular laptop.

Well - Apple is coming out with a big announcement on Jan. 27th. Many suspect that Apple will be unveiling their version of a tablet. I hope its true! A macbook tablet would be the best of both worlds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am seriously considering getting a tablet PC because it would be easier to draw the pictures right on to the computer while typing up the notes. But, there is a good chance, I might just stick with a regular laptop.
So far 99% of our lecturers have given us note packets, I've only used my laptop to type notes for one professor. It is much easier to just jot down notes on the note packets when it is necessary, and this is what the vast majority of people do. So I wouldn't get a tablet solely for this purpose. If you want a tablet anyway, go for it.

Just received my acceptance to NOVA ! Any other Canadians accepted ?

Last edited:
Just FYI for those that don't have the SharkLink access (you get it after you pay the first part of your deposit): Orientation starts August 2nd at 8:10 am. Looking at the schedule, they mix in a few classes during the orientation week.

Where on Shark Link did you find that information? I looked everywhere but couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Where on Shark Link did you find that information? I looked everywhere but couldn't find it.

Thanks!

You have to join the "DO Class of 2014" Group. It is listed on that groups page after you join.

Last edited:
Have any of you guys looked at the orientation schedule? It has a time slot for laptop distribution. Does anyone know anything about this?

When is everybody signing their leases? I already know that I want to live at either Sunforest or Palm Trace. Whichever one has a washer/dryer in the unit, I'm gonna live there. Is it worth making a trip down there in May or should I just head down there mid-July and sign papers then?

Also, I did see the laptop distribution thing. The first year's I've talked to said there are ways to get around buying the required computer and a bunch of the students have Macs.

When is everybody signing their leases? I already know that I want to live at either Sunforest or Palm Trace. Whichever one has a washer/dryer in the unit, I'm gonna live there. Is it worth making a trip down there in May or should I just head down there mid-July and sign papers then?

Also, I did see the laptop distribution thing. The first year's I've talked to said there are ways to get around buying the required computer and a bunch of the students have Macs.

Ok cool... I have been a PC guy my whole life but i'm thinking about getting a mac. Also I'm going to be going down in March to look at townhomes for sale with my wife. We are going to see if we can find a sweet deal so I haven't looked into renting much. You could probably call the renting office to see how fast they fill up.

Does anyone know the tuition for Fall Winter and Summer? When I called they told me ~40k but I forgot to ask if that included Summer term... Finaid gives out ~57K for Fall Winter and Summer so I just want to make sure that the Summer tuition isnt another 15k so I dont have to go and try to find loans for living expenses...

Members don't see this ad :)

Guess it depends where you currently live and/or how much you want to spend. It's an 8 hr flight for me so will do it in July.

Does anyone know the tuition for Fall Winter and Summer? When I called they told me ~40k but I forgot to ask if that included Summer term... Finaid gives out ~57K for Fall Winter and Summer so I just want to make sure that the Summer tuition isnt another 15k so I dont have to go and try to find loans for living expenses...

NOVA site states ~32K for in-state and ~38K for out-of-state: http://medicine.nova.edu/do/admissions/tuition_fees.html

This should be for Fall/Winter/Summer: can anyone confirm?

Does anyone know where NOVA's 3rd/4th year clinical rotations are held?

Financial Aid emailed me this a while ago:

The typical award for a first year Osteopathic Medicine (DO M1) off-campus
student is as follows:

Fall

Subsidized: $4250 Unsubsidized: $16000

Winter

Summer

Subsidized: $4250 Unsubsidized: $12667

Financial Aid emailed me this a while ago:

The typical award for a first year Osteopathic Medicine (DO M1) off-campus
student is as follows:

Fall

Winter

Summer

And then the difference between that and the cost of attendance can be made up with federal gradplus loans, that is if you want more money for living expenses or what not.

I assume so, but can't say for certain. Every school I ever went to raised the cost yearly. :p

In the admissions NSU-DO booklet they gave out at the interview:

"the anticipated tuition for 2010-2011 is 34,480 for IS and 40,375 OOS"

and to the posters above, so each student is budgeted for 70k or more each year? Or is this negotiable? That seems way too high. I'm from west palm and I can' tell you that living in the NSU area is not nearly THAT expensive.

And if i'm misreading your post, then sorry :)

and to the posters above, so each student is budgeted for 70k or more each year? Or is this negotiable? That seems way too high. I'm from west palm and I can' tell you that living in the NSU area is not nearly THAT expensive.

And if i'm misreading your post, then sorry :)

That is the MAX you can borrow yearly (the ~70k) of course you can choose to borrow less based on your personal spending habits/needs. They give you that much wiggle room because some students have families/kids to take care of and need the extra cash, or some people just like to live a more lavish lifestyle. If you only need 15k to live and get through the year borrow that much (on top of tuition of course), if you need 40k, then borrow that.

Does anyone know if Significant Others have access to NOVA facilities (library, gym, swimming pools, cafeteria etc...)

hey everyone, whatup

I was wondering about housing options and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think the less the commute the better and being nearby is really important but also the place should be nice and also lots of NSU kids should live close by.

so I've heard of grad housing and the one across the street -- sun forest?
are there any other ones I should consider given what I'm looking for above? where can I find more information about the housing sites and potentially get the place. plus anybody here interested in living in grad housing or sun forest?

drskinner said:
Does anyone know if Significant Others have access to NOVA facilities
I do

drskinner said:
Yes... they can apply for a library card

drskinner said:
Not for free... you can get a family membership. Only your membership is free

drskinner said:
swimming pools,
See "gym"

drskinner said:
cafeteria etc...)
Like you, they can pay for meals. Access is not restricted.

hey everyone, whatup

I was wondering about housing options and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think the less the commute the better and being nearby is really important but also the place should be nice and also lots of NSU kids should live close by.

so I've heard of grad housing and the one across the street -- sun forest?
are there any other ones I should consider given what I'm looking for above? where can I find more information about the housing sites and potentially get the place. plus anybody here interested in living in grad housing or sun forest?

there was a link up on the facebook group that had several different apartments that are near by, you should definitely check it out.

its this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8027873&postcount=306

I do

Yes... they can apply for a library card

Not for free... you can get a family membership. Only your membership is free

See "gym"

Like you, they can pay for meals. Access is not restricted.

thanks for the info !

So i saw the thread about all of the housing options nearby (thank you for the post, very informative!), but how is every1 going about finding roommates, it seems kind of expensive to live on your own?

Also, when is a good time to really start getting crackin as far as finding a place to live? not sure how quickly the good places fill up.

Thanks in advance!

So i saw the thread about all of the housing options nearby (thank you for the post, very informative!), but how is every1 going about finding roommates, it seems kind of expensive to live on your own?

Also, when is a good time to really start getting crackin as far as finding a place to live? not sure how quickly the good places fill up.

Thanks in advance!

About the roommates - I found both of mine on facebook. One guy was looking for a roommate and then we added someone a couple weeks later.

As for the good places filling up..its not like undergrad. Palm Trace where I live has openings all the time and in fact I didnt sign the lease until may for a june move in. Probably the same deal with sunforest (same owner). I preferred roommates to cut the cost. Figure a 1bdrm is 1200 while a two bedroom is 1450.. Almost cuts your rate in half when you split it.

If you want to put down a "hold" on a place I would start in march. Get the place and then add roommate(s). I wouldnt wait past april to at least get the ball rolling.

just for some reference I live in a second floor 4bdrm3bath ~1600sq ft with garage and in unit washer/dryer in Palm Trace, we have three guys splitting it and my rent is 680.

IamAriDo

Is anyone attending the University knowledgeable about the typical aid package recieved. I'm not going to be getting much money from the family so I was wondering if all comes from loans or if the school typically provides a portion in the form of grants, etc. I know this question seems stupid but I'm really trying to decide if coming will cost me way too much in the form of loans. New to the forums. Thanks for the help. Class of 2014

Is anyone attending the University knowledgeable about the typical aid package recieved. I'm not going to be getting much money from the family so I was wondering if all comes from loans or if the school typically provides a portion in the form of grants, etc. I know this question seems stupid but I'm really trying to decide if coming will cost me way too much in the form of loans. New to the forums. Thanks for the help. Class of 2014

I am pretty sure you do not get any grants from the school or the state as far as the financial aid package goes, so most of the tuition and your extra expenses would be paid through loans.

Okay. I just wasnt sure because the pdf that you can download from the AACOM website shows in the financial aid area : "Average grant/scholarship - $30,000" . I didn't know how accurate that is since the school doesn't post info. It doesn't seem reasonable to take out $60,000 a year and be stuck with $240,000 total at the end. I'm curious to find out if anyone at the school now knows how accurate that info from AACOM is. Thanks for the input though.

Financial aid gave me this breakdown for the first year DO student living off campus...

Fall

Winter

Summer

I figured for the first year id do the graduate housing since they have themed floors health professions etc. and i wouldnt have to find my own roommates

Is anyone else having difficulties changing their temporary password on SharkLink? I tried my NSU Email address, Sharklink iD, and NSU ID with a password with more then 8 characters combining letters and numbers... every time it keeps reading: Password must be more then 8 characters

Also, does anyone know if we can change our assigned NSU email address?

Is anyone else having difficulties changing their temporary password on SharkLink? I tried my NSU Email address, Sharklink iD, and NSU ID with a password with more then 8 characters combining letters and numbers... every time it keeps reading: Password must be more then 8 characters

This happened to me too when I first tried. Try it again at a later time. It eventually worked for me.

Also, does anyone know if we can change our assigned NSU email address?

I don't think so. They create your e-mail by your initials and the number of people with those same initials that have an e-mail address at NSU. You could probably call the IT department to find out for sure.

To the laptop discussion from a few weeks ago:

I currently am an M1 and purchased a tablet before entering med school. Unless you want a tablet for other reasons: Taking notes on it is not very viable. 99% of lectures at NSU are given on powerpoints with the notes handed out in packets. The battery life is very short on a tablet compared to other computers. So overall it just wasn't a good choice.

For mac users: The administration keeps talking about laptop computerized exams--however this has yet to be enforced and the notification to us was that macs would not be supported. They then said Macs were okay... then not okay... then okay--so this area is still very cloudy (and exams are still not computerized)

The laptop distribution: NSU for our year offered a cheap price on laptops. They were pretty solid laptops for a reasonable price with a pretty awesome battery life. If you ordered your laptop in this program they were distributed during orientation week during that assigned slot.

Hope this clears up some of the laptop confusion.

Guys as a second year, I'd recommend just use whatever computer you have unless you absolutely must have a new one. There is no sense in getting a new one for school unless the one you have is running windows 95. All you need is an internet browser, excel, and a word processor.

As far as notes go you will be provided with powerpoint slides to write on so the whole tablet thing would be a waste really. Perhaps take out money in loans to cover a new computer and if you need it some time during the year spend it, but I'd hold off if possible.

Oh yeah, I would definitely not get the computer the school is offering at $1900 or whatever it is now; many of my classmates that purchased those were very disappointed.

Oh yeah, I would definitely not get the computer the school is offering at $1900 or whatever it is now; many of my classmates that purchased those were very disappointed.

Is it mandatory to purchase NOVA's offered computers or can one easily opt out?

You don't have to purchase one of nova's. And like the previous students said: I don't recommend theirs either.

it is not mandatory and it is very easy to opt out. At some point in the future, nsucom will direct you to an online questionnaire to declare your decision. You simply check "yes" or "no".

let it be said that I checked "yes" and I wish I saved my money. don't get me wrong, the computer is just fine...we just don't need that kind of machine. Honestly, all you need is something that runs XP. If you're one of those that needs a computer during lecture, just buy an extra battery and save $1500. Keep in mind that physical note packets are given to you and, for many classes, writing notes on the actual figures is more efficient. Personally, my brand new nsu endorsed laptop hasn't left my apartment since orientation week.