Program-Specific Info / Q's NSU MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhansen2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been extended an invitation to complete the online questionnaire video that nova southeastern uses in place of a face to face interview? I completed my video last week and was just wondering how the process was going for everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi bhansen2!

I have not been extended an invitation, but that is due to the fact that my OTCAS application hasn't been verified yet. I submitted it last week so it should take a little bit longer. When did you apply? and do you mind posting your stats? I'm a little weary about my GRE scores but Keatta assured me that a high GPA (3.5+) will outweigh the GRE.

Hey PreOTVicki,

My otacas application was verified on August 17th. I submitted it so early that it was verified the same day. My basic stats are...
Undergrad: The Citadel, The Military College of SC
Cumulative Gpa: 3.81
Prereq: somewhere around 3.8-3.9
Gre: 148 quant, 151 verbal, 3.5 writing
Volunteer: over 200 hours at a veterans hospital, 140 some odd hours in an outpatient ot clinic.
Also, I made a 4.0gpa for the last 60 credit hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey PreOTVicki,

My otacas application was verified on August 17th. I submitted it so early that it was verified the same day. My basic stats are...
Volunteer: over 200 hours at a veterans hospital, 140 some odd hours in an outpatient ot clinic.
I talked to Keatta about 3 weeks ago she said that they were really late on reviewing applications so I'm sure they're reviewing yours as we speak!

Has anyone been extended an invitation to complete the online questionnaire video that nova southeastern uses in place of a face to face interview? I completed my video last week and was just wondering how the process was going for everyone else.
Hey PreOTVicki,

Have you heard anything yet from NOVA?

Hey,

I was accepted to their OTD program yesterday! I haven't heard anything from the MOT yet.

Hey,

I was accepted to their OTD program yesterday! I haven't heard anything from the MOT yet.
Hi! Congrats! How did they notify you of your acceptance?
I just received an interview invite and will be interviewing 11/4! I can't wait!

Hi! Congrats! How did they notify you of your acceptance?
I just received an interview invite and will be interviewing 11/4! I can't wait!
Hey, sorry that I just saw this. They called me a few days after the interview and told me over the phone. Have you guys heard anything yet?

I was extended an interview offer 10/28. Still waiting to hear something.

Nice. So you interviewed on October 28th?

Also, I spoke with Keatta on Friday and she said that the admissions committee hasn't forwarded her any decisions yet. Friday marked about a month since I submitted my video. She said it takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks after submission of the video.

Yeah mine was due the 28th. like 3 weeks left to hear back..!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty average
GPA:3.4
Degree: Kinesiology
School: University of North Carolina at Greensboro
80 hours of shadowing at schools, and nursing home
Verbal : 158
Quant:165
Writing 3.5

Has anyone received any updates from NSU (MOT)? I submitted my video about 6 weeks ago, and the email stated that it would be 4-6 weeks after submission to receive a decision, so it should be any day now! I'm pretty anxious!

Hey guys, I attended the backstage pass event this past Tuesday and Keatta said the first "batch" of students will be accepted by Thanksgiving and the 2nd "batch" is by Christmas...

Oh wow ok thanks! Did she say how many applications they have received and how many have completed interviews?

Any current NSU MOT students out there? I'd love to learn more about the program since I won't be able to attend a backstage pass event for a while since I need to fly down.

Congratulations! I received my acceptance letter today. Will you both be attending?

Congratulations! I received my acceptance letter today. Will you both be attending?
When did you do your interview? Just trying to figure out the timeline of when ill hear something back.

When did you do your interview? Just trying to figure out the timeline of when ill hear something back.

I sent my interview in September 28th and got an e-mail October 1 saying it would be approximately 4-6 weeks. So it took about 7 and a half weeks.

As of now I'm planning on attending. But still waiting to hear back from some OTD programs so we will see what happens!

@mccaski95 I sent my interview in on October 5th and heard back exactly 6 weeks later. Good luck!

Im a hold candidate ): What are my chances of actually getting in???

I submitted my video essay in yesterday. So i'm guessing i'll be that second batch of students to hear by Christmas.

Also some other things they said at the backstage pass event:

They look at 3 GPA's (importance in this order)
Natural science GPA has to be at least a 2.75
Last 60 GPA has to be at least a 3.0
Overall GPA has to be at least a 3.0
GRE 284 and 3.5 on writing

If you don't have the stats above, they said that you wouldn't be eligible to make it to the next round (video interview) but as long as you have the above and the pre-reqs you will get an interview!

Oh wow ok thanks! Did she say how many applications they have received and how many have completed interviews?

About 500 applicants they think and they will accept i think she said 53 this year

Is this for the MOT or for the Dr OT?
I've chosen to pursue the mot for now. I was really interested in the otd as I was under the impression that I would be able to hold a full time job while in school. After speaking with a current student, I discovered that I wouldn't be able to do that. An extra year of tuition to not make anymore when you graduate wasn't appealing to me. I'm hoping that I can get a hospital or somewhere to pay for an otd later life.

I got accepted on Monday and just put down my deposit today! So excited :)

I got accepted on Monday and just put down my deposit today! So excited :)
Awesome congratulations ! I'm flying out this weekend just to check out the campus more and then I will be putting down the deposit as well!

Congrats! Does anyone know much about this program? Like is there a cadaver lab? What is the typical schedule (9-5 Monday through Friday)? Are the professors still practicing or only teaching/researching now? Etc...

I am super excited about being accepted, but since there was no real interview I feel like I don't know as much about this program as I know about other programs.

Congrats! Does anyone know much about this program? Like is there a cadaver lab? What is the typical schedule (9-5 Monday through Friday)? Are the professors still practicing or only teaching/researching now? Etc...

I am super excited about being accepted, but since there was no real interview I feel like I don't know as much about this program as I know about other programs.

I agree, I am from out of state so I haven't been able to visit. I'm thinking about emailing them and asking a ton of questions but I don't want to be overbearing. I have a friend in the clinical psych program at Nova and she said the health professionals building is very high tech and wonderful. I'm just so glad to have been accepted somewhere. This is my second year applying (first time applying to Nova) and last year I got rejections and wait-listings. So I am just relieved to be in somewhere!

Awesome congratulations ! I'm flying out this weekend just to check out the campus more and then I will be putting down the deposit as well!
I'm from NJ too :) Let us know how it is! I haven't been able to visit yet.

I'm not sure about the cadaver lab question, I know there is lab with Anatomy, but not sure if it's a cadaver lab. As for the 9-5 I am imagining that is how the program is set up considering all the courses are held on campus and there is no online classes. Looking at the curriculum, the summer semester is 11 credits. I was talking to someone in the program now, and she loves it. She's also from NJ and said they really set you up for success. She started in the end of May and then went until August and had a 2 week break and then started August-December and so on. I looked at all of the professors who are part of the MOT program and its a mixture. Some seem to be strictly researched while others are either practicing or involved in other programs that work directly or indirectly with clients. I can ask the girl about the other questions if you would like. I'm hoping to be able to speak with someone more in-depth this weekend, but there aren't any tours or anything available so I'm going to call and see what they can do.

Hey guys:) I'm so happy to hear you all got in!! That's amazing news, congrats to all of you!! (As for me, waiting patiently until my 4-8 week period goes by to hear a decision..)

So when I went to the backstage pass event, they briefly said how the schedule would be. They said it was typically 8-4 or 9-5 Monday thru Friday. The girl who toured us around (2nd year student) said the labs are usually like tuesday/thursday then like monday/wednesday the second year depending on how it's structured for the semesters. They said all the professors are wonderful, all have an open door policy where if you ever need anything they are there always. They said you could keep probably a 20 hour job babysitting or something part time but most students don't work. There are tons of apartments around campus, super close and there's usually a shark bus that goes around to each of the apartments near by. (Awesome). It's really cute, structured like a hospital where all the different health profession programs all wear a different scrub color for labs. OT is purple, PT grey, medical light blue and so on. The health grad programs are in the health divisions building and theres a library and cafe for just the health programs so it's nice.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree, I am from out of state so I haven't been able to visit. I'm thinking about emailing them and asking a ton of questions but I don't want to be overbearing. I have a friend in the clinical psych program at Nova and she said the health professionals building is very high tech and wonderful. I'm just so glad to have been accepted somewhere. This is my second year applying (first time applying to Nova) and last year I got rejections and wait-listings. So I am just relieved to be in somewhere!

I'm not sure about the cadaver lab question, I know there is lab with Anatomy, but not sure if it's a cadaver lab. As for the 9-5 I am imagining that is how the program is set up considering all the courses are held on campus and there is no online classes. Looking at the curriculum, the summer semester is 11 credits. I was talking to someone in the program now, and she loves it. She's also from NJ and said they really set you up for success. She started in the end of May and then went until August and had a 2 week break and then started August-December and so on. I looked at all of the professors who are part of the MOT program and its a mixture. Some seem to be strictly researched while others are either practicing or involved in other programs that work directly or indirectly with clients. I can ask the girl about the other questions if you would like. I'm hoping to be able to speak with someone more in-depth this weekend, but there aren't any tours or anything available so I'm going to call and see what they can do.

It is cadaver-based!

I don't want to seem annoying and have to ask, but would you share your stats? I'm so super nervous that i'm gonna get waitlisted or denied from Nova and after visiting, I really loved it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! Staying positive!!

Hey guys:) I'm so happy to hear you all got in!! That's amazing news, congrats to all of you!! (As for me, waiting patiently until my 4-8 week period goes by to hear a decision..)

So when I went to the backstage pass event, they briefly said how the schedule would be. They said it was typically 8-4 or 9-5 Monday thru Friday. The girl who toured us around (2nd year student) said the labs are usually like tuesday/thursday then like monday/wednesday the second year depending on how it's structured for the semesters. They said all the professors are wonderful, all have an open door policy where if you ever need anything they are there always. They said you could keep probably a 20 hour job babysitting or something part time but most students don't work. There are tons of apartments around campus, super close and there's usually a shark bus that goes around to each of the apartments near by. (Awesome). It's really cute, structured like a hospital where all the different health profession programs all wear a different scrub color for labs. OT is purple, PT grey, medical light blue and so on. The health grad programs are in the health divisions building and theres a library and cafe for just the health programs so it's nice.
Thank you so much for all of this info!! It sounds amazing.

Thank you for posting all of this info! I am from NJ as well...waiting for the 2016 backstage pass days to be announced and then will be flying down. I emailed them with a bunch of questions but haven't heard back yet. I have so many questions!

What do you guys think? Do my stats seem to compare to any of yours? It's really my GRE score that i'm worried about but Keatta seemed to hint at that a higher GPA can outweigh that.

University of Connecticut
Major: Allied Health Sciences
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.51
Last 60 credits: 3.52
Natural Science GPA: 3.33

OT Hours: 220 in combination from an outpatient rehab clinic, hospital and primary school

Other: Internship with American Red Cross, Volunteer with Operation Military Kids, Note-taker at Uconn for the students with disabilities center, power-yoga instructor, work at various fitness gyms, other entry level jobs, CPR cert, etc.

GRE: 294 and a 3.5 on the written (Scheduled to re-take soon)

Thank you for posting all of this info! I am from NJ as well...waiting for the 2016 backstage pass days to be announced and then will be flying down. I emailed them with a bunch of questions but haven't heard back yet. I have so many questions!

You're going to LOVE it! I spent maybe 3 hours there and had a blast just learning about the program

You're going to LOVE it! I spent maybe 3 hours there and had a blast just learning about the program
That's great! Do you know what the average class age is roughly? Like are most students straight out of college or are many married with children? Also how many per cohort? Does the entire cohort take every class together or are they broken down sometimes for classes or for labs?

What do you guys think? Do my stats seem to compare to any of yours? It's really my GRE score that i'm worried about but Keatta seemed to hint at that a higher GPA can outweigh that.

University of Connecticut
Major: Allied Health Sciences
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.51
Last 60 credits: 3.52
Natural Science GPA: 3.33

OT Hours: 220 in combination from an outpatient rehab clinic, hospital and primary school

Other: Internship with American Red Cross, Volunteer with Operation Military Kids, Note-taker at Uconn for the students with disabilities center, power-yoga instructor, work at various fitness gyms, other entry level jobs, CPR cert, etc.

GRE: 294 and a 3.5 on the written (Scheduled to re-take soon)

You seem fine to me! My GPA sucks (3.0) but my pre req GPA is close to a 3.7...I have about 400 hours total and also do a lot of volunteer work with kids with disabilities. Were you invited for a video essay?