Number of interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyxh1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So, I am an osteopathic medical student with only Comlex scores(level 1: 500+ and level 2 somewhat below 500) and I currently have 12(waitlisted for 13th interview) acgme interviews after applying to over 80 programs(probably included too many reaches). I had really hoped to have gotten more interviews and I don't think my ratio of interviews to places applied is very favorable. I know this is kind of ridiculous but should I apply to more programs? Is it too late now at this point? I have a list of 20 more programs that I would be happy to match into but I don't know if it's worth it to drop another $550 at this point. I really do not want to go unmatched this cycle and I just don't feel comfortable that 12 interviews out of 80 applied is going to be enough. Thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your number of interviews gives you a > 90% chance to match. If you subtract the number of "reaches" from 80 and divide by 12, you've got an approximate % interview rate. Something greater than 15%. Then consider that really late apps probably have a much lower rate of getting offered interviews. So maybe if you're *really* lucky, you stay at 15% and get an extra 3 invites... but I'd doubt it. That gives you a > 94% chance of matching. But these rates include IMGs, so you're probably even better off that that unless you have seriously evident personality pathology (therefore tanking all interviews, in which case a few more probably won't help). So $550 + travel expenses for an extra 4% chance at most... plus there is still a reasonable probability that you'll get offered another interview or two or three anyways, maybe even more likely than with new aps. (Possible exception: the places you are interviewing at rarely take DOs and you didn't apply to any programs that are mostly mixed IMG/DO/US MD, only to programs that take almost exclusively US MD or IMG).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at the nmrp data you have like a 93% chance of matching at 12 contiguous ranks. Increasing to 13 or 14 interviews barely changes this - funnily enough the people in the 15 or 16+ interview categories drop to a mid 60s% match rate.

IMO: No.

You may still get a few more interviews trickling in. When I applied, I had most of my interviews by mid-October, though a couple more snuck in until the 3rd week of November. It's possible you may get 1-3 more before the end of the season.

Hi,

So, I am an osteopathic medical student with only Comlex scores(level 1: 500+ and level 2 somewhat below 500) and I currently have 12(waitlisted for 13th interview) acgme interviews after applying to over 80 programs(probably included too many reaches). I had really hoped to have gotten more interviews and I don't think my ratio of interviews to places applied is very favorable. I know this is kind of ridiculous but should I apply to more programs? Is it too late now at this point? I have a list of 20 more programs that I would be happy to match into but I don't know if it's worth it to drop another $550 at this point. I really do not want to go unmatched this cycle and I just don't feel comfortable that 12 interviews out of 80 applied is going to be enough. Thoughts? Thanks!

You're at that point where if you attended 10 more interviews you would probably bump up your chances of matching by maybe 2%.

There may be reasons for you to add more programs but "neurosis of not matching" shouldn't be one.

I've had close to 20 invites, so about half of my applications but I only plan on going on 10 interviews (and possibly only ranking 9 since my wife hated one of the cities). Just seems crazy doing more than that, from my perspective of things at least. Out of that bunch, only one is a reach (ie no DOs in the program but it's a place that requires usmle so that could be a factor why there are less as well). Anyhow, 12 is more than enough unless half of them you would rather not rank, which I doubt is the case.

You may still get a few more interviews trickling in. When I applied, I had most of my interviews by mid-October, though a couple more snuck in until the 3rd week of November. It's possible you may get 1-3 more before the end of the season.
Point in case, I got one today after a month of no action. Shocked but excited since it is one of my top 5.

So far, I have only received 8 interview invites, and all are in the coastal regions where i would be happy to go to. Should i be okay?

So far, I have only received 8 interview invites, and all are in the coastal regions where i would be happy to go to. Should i be okay?
Should be. It all depends on the strength of your application, but based on the fact you have 8 interviews in what are typically more competitive geographic areas, you're doing great...

Hi,

I am an osteopathic student with COMLEX only and similar scores (561 on level 1), I went down over 100 point on level 2...I know very sad :(... I only have 6 interviews. 3 are at programs I did AIs at and are what I would say good programs (in the north east) I assumed it was not taking the USMLE that was holding me back, but then I talked to a fellow osteopathic student who only has two psychiatry interviews and took the USMLE with i believe scores in the 220s.... Any advice? To the DOs who have 10+ interview invites, where are you applying? I applied pretty broadly (85 programs, added like 20 last week).. Did you guys follow up with programs or do anything that you would recommend?