Number of programs and where to target?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotTheOne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, appreciate any advise you guys have to throw out

I’m a USMD trying to finalize my apps for anesthesia this cycle and trying to figure out where I can aim for regarding target and dream programs and how many I should aim for

Basic stats - unimpressive class rank, split of H and HPs in clinical, step 1 245-250, step 2 255-260 (trying to preserve some anonymity, some posters, a pub, solid enough EC/leadership

I have not heard a consistent number at this point on show many to apply to, anywhere from 30 to 70. 70 I think may be too much but I’ll apply to that many if that’s the consensus. Also don’t know if I should waste any money to any top ranked programs or focus on solid mid tier spots.

Any advice appreciated, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Similar applicant, applied to 15 and went on 10. Depending on which school the world is your oyster.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are highly likely to Match at a program. That said, how many do you apply to and where? The answer depends on you. Yes, Top 10-15 programs will be a reach for you but those are still possibilities so if you want to go to a top program then include them. This means you need to be realistic that those top 15 are "reaches" and can't be viewed as likely matches. Hence, you will need 40-45 mid tier programs on your list bring the total to 60 applications. This is just too important to leave to "chance" so send out those 60 applications. Statistically, all you need are 20-25 applications to mid tier programs to Match but I think you want a shot at some "Dream" programs as well so be cautious and send out those 60 applications.

Reactions: 1 user
This is old data. The number is now well above 60.

1662809518768.png

Across all medical specialties, this cycle MD applicants submitted an average of 68 applications, DO applicants submitted 92, and international medical graduates submitted 139, according to data provided to MedPage Today by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).

Let's discuss your strategy. You are issued "tokens" which are important in showing interest to programs. Those mid tier program which get a token are more likely to consider you for an interview. You get 5 tokens to give out. Do you give 2 tokens to your reach programs and 3 to solid mid tier programs? A token to a mid tier program signals to them that you really want to Match there.

Last edited:
Let's discuss your strategy. You are issued "tokens" which are important in showing interest to programs. Those mid tier program which get a token are more likely to consider you for an interview. You get 5 tokens to give out. Do you give 2 tokens to your reach programs and 3 to solid mid tier programs? A token to a mid tier program signals to them that you really want to Match there.
Hi, thanks for all the info! Based on the numbers and data you’ve posted and what I’ve heard is a good numbers from my Home schools PD it looks like I will be in the range of 55-60 programs which I am comfortable with. I would like to throw my hat into the ring for the top 10-15 level schools but am fully not expecting those to be where I end up haha

As for my token my plan was to do 1 to an top 10-15 program in a location that I would absolutely love and then 4 to solid mid tier programs that I think would be amazing fits, in locations that I would love.

Hi, thanks for all the info! Based on the numbers and data you’ve posted and what I’ve heard is a good numbers from my Home schools PD it looks like I will be in the range of 55-60 programs which I am comfortable with. I would like to throw my hat into the ring for the top 10-15 level schools but am fully not expecting those to be where I end up haha

As for my token my plan was to do 1 to an top 10-15 program in a location that I would absolutely love and then 4 to solid mid tier programs that I think would be amazing fits, in locations that I would love.
Your strategy is a good one but consider 2 tokens to top 15 programs and 3 to those mid tier programs you really want to Match at. That too, is a good strategy. If you pick the correct mid tier programs, those in your region who have taken med students from your school, I easily see you Matching there.

Reactions: 1 users