Number of programs to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigchen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard different opinions about the number of programs to apply (10-30). Anyone has a rough idea? I am looking at academic programs in California. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

if you're looking to go to an academic program in CA, apply to all of them...
it's not like there are that many of them to apply to

community programs which are more academic:
Cedars-Sinai/UCLA-VA
Kaiser LA
Scripps Clinic

county-hospital academic program:
Harbor UCLA
UCLA Olive View
USC

university academic programs:
Loma Linda
UC Davis
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF

To add to Mediocre's list:
Community program that's more academic:
Kaiser Santa Clara

County-hospital academic program:
Santa Clara Valley

University academic:
Stanford

I would recommend against applying to more than 15. As long as you're applying to a range of programs, and you are a decent candidate, you should be fine. Note that you will probably get quite burned out during the interview season if you do more than 8 or so interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as community programs you forgot

Scripps Mercy ( I feel is strongest of Cali comm programs )
Cal Pacific in SF - always draws good IM candidates who want to stay in northern California.

Apply to all of them, but only count on going to about 7 interviews, or you will be severely burnt out. UCSF has good primary care programs as well so look into that. If you really want to stay in Cali you will find a place, if you really want an academic program you might have a rougher time. I am in the UCSD medicine program- and love it. Sunshine 24 - 7.

Thank you all for replying! My goal is to stay in Northern Cal but Southern is great too. Sounds like you guys are very familiar with the Cali programs, I have two more questions. 1) Any known malignant programs in Cali? 2) Any tips on Stanford? I am scheduled to do a pulmonary rotation in Sep... Anything else I can do to improve my chances?

As far as pulmonary at Stanford there are several bigger names there ie norm riske, steve ruoss, john faul -- all will most likely write you a rec, the wildcard there is that after you do the rotation you will meet with the PD kelly skeff, an odd bird, and they don't interview you later.
Overall the program is decent, probably a little overrated. Good luck in northern cali.

golyte

There are some fabulous pulmonary attendings at Stanford. Golytely mentioned some of the best ones. They pull quite a bit of weight in the medicine residency program, so if you get one of them to take a liking to you, you will probably do well.

Kelley Skeff is an interesting person, and certainly has his quirks. He is an incredible and well-respected educator, though, and works very hard on behalf of the residents. When you go around the country for medicine residency interviews, it is not uncommon for the PD at any given institution to mention Dr. Skeff's name (he runs a course series where he teaches PD's and other faculty from other institutions on how to teach). You should meet with him when you do your rotation, although he might still be on sabbatical then.

As far as not being interviewed, to clarify what Golytely was referring to, you will most likely be invited to an interview (if you got along okay with the attendings). However, on the interview day, you will not actually have any individual interviews scheduled -- you will be there for the group information meetings, tours, etc. The reasoning for this is that they feel that they already know you, especially if you've already met with the PD, so you don't have to do a repeat interview.

Stanford is a great medicine residency program. You'll see what it's like when you visit. My one piece of advice for you is to try to go to as many noon conferences and morning reports as you can, and try to get to know a few of the residents.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

You also asked about malignant programs in CA. I think probably the most malignant CA medicine program is UCSF. Now, I'm sure that there are some UCSF med students or residents out there who will flame me for this statement, but IMO, the program tends not to treat it's residents very well, and they don't look out for their residents the way that many other programs do. It is an excellent program, though, with great training -- it's just not for everyone.

UCLA is also considered pretty malignant for internal medicine, and I think it's mostly because of the program director there. The PD himself is pretty egocentric, and I know a couple of residents there who have had some major problems with him (one required outside intervention). Also, if you're specifically interested in pulmonary, they don't have a very good pulmonary division.

I think all the other programs listed are very good programs, and I haven't heard of any of the other ones being particularly malignant.

Does that mean my meeting with Kelley Skeff ( if I do get to meet him) will be my actual interview? I just found out I will have Ramona L. Doyle for a little bit bit but not sure who's next. How should I prepare myself for the this rotation? I am getting very nervous!

Are you familiar with the program in Santa Clara Valley Medical Center? I am scheduled to do a sub-I there.. or should I do a specialty rotation? Any good attendings at SCVMC?

Thanks again for your input!