Number of Programs vs. NBME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalBearr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize many other factors are at play here, but assuming that the single biggest variable is NBME score, how many programs would you recommend applying to (for low 50s, high 50s, low 60s, etc.)?

I'm just looking for a rough baseline. People can adjust up/down depending on strength of letters, externships, research, etc. Also, more weight if you speak from experience having gone through an interview cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know multiple people who scored in the high 60s and didn't match. If I had low 60's and was applying, I'd apply to at least 20 programs. If I had low 50s...I'd retake. This test isn't that hard, it's just time consuming to prepare.

I'd agree with that. So if it takes low 60's to do 20 programs, what's the mark for 15 programs, or 10 programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol...maybe someone else could hop in here...i only applied to one...i feel like my knowledge is biased, erroneous, and laden with racism

:wow:

lol so follow up question...did you the Additional Info section on PASS to indicate the weight of your massive balls?? :bow:

This test isn't that hard, it's just time consuming to prepare.

I couldn't disagree more, this test is difficult, however those attending schools that teach to a medical curriculum will be at an advantage.

Reactions: 1 user
The whole NBME/medical school curriculum/etc. discussion, while meaningful, is for another time and place. For people applying this cycle, the ship on choosing a dental school or deciding on a retake has sailed...

Just looking for some data points along the lines of: "an otherwise average OMFS applicant with an NBME of X should apply to Y programs"

The whole NBME/medical school curriculum/etc. discussion, while meaningful, is for another time and place. For people applying this cycle, the ship on choosing a dental school or deciding on a retake has sailed...

Just looking for some data points along the lines of: "an otherwise average OMFS applicant with an NBME of X should apply to Y programs"

Think of this way, would you rather have a higher probability of interviewing, more programs applied to, higher potential to match. Or apply to fewer programs, decreased number of interviews, decreased probability of matching. This isn't where you should be looking to save money in my opinion as it gets more expensive to apply again.

Of course there is the unicorn guy who goes to 1 interview and matches, you that guy?

Got in the 70's and will be applying to 10 programs. I think the rest of my app is pretty solid and I will mostly be applying to 4 year programs, so I assume my score will be higher than most applicants in this regard.

Good luck!

Think of this way, would you rather have a higher probability of interviewing, more programs applied to, higher potential to match. Or apply to fewer programs, decreased number of interviews, decreased probability of matching. This isn't where you should be looking to save money in my opinion as it gets more expensive to apply again.

Of course there is the unicorn guy who goes to 1 interview and matches, you that guy?

Yeah I'm definitely not a unicorn, and there's no way in hell I'd risk a match on thinking I was one. Trust me, I hear you 100%, and I will err on the side of caution.

Still, there's some inexact correlation between how good of an applicant you are and how many schools you should, safely, apply to.

Got in the 70's and will be applying to 10 programs. I think the rest of my app is pretty solid and I will mostly be applying to 4 year programs, so I assume my score will be higher than most applicants in this regard.

Good luck!

Hey congrats on the great score and good luck to you too! I'm the other way around, mostly 6 year programs, but maybe I'll see you out there.

Yeah I'm definitely not a unicorn, and there's no way in hell I'd risk a match on thinking I was one. Trust me, I hear you 100%, and I will err on the side of caution.

Still, there's some inexact correlation between how good of an applicant you are and how many schools you should, safely, apply to.

Applications and interviews are coin tosses. Apply to as many as you can afford - doesn't matter whether you did well or poorly.
I applied to ~ 24 programs, interviewed at 11 or 12, didn't match, but luckily swiped a post-match spot. If I could do it again, I would have applied to more programs because you never know why they may want to interview you and you never know who is going to like you.

Applications and interviews are coin tosses. Apply to as many as you can afford - doesn't matter whether you did well or poorly.
I applied to ~ 24 programs, interviewed at 11 or 12, didn't match, but luckily swiped a post-match spot. If I could do it again, I would have applied to more programs because you never know why they may want to interview you and you never know who is going to like you.

:eek: Thank goodness for the scramble! Man, hearing that makes me nervous...

Last edited:

Phew, glad it worked out!

You left out the key number though...how many of the 12 did you rank?