Number of psychiatry programs in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lattes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any data showing the number of residencies in Texas and their names? Sorry if I'm asking something obvious. I simply failed to find the answer searcing on the web and the forum.

Members don't see this ad.

UTMB
UT Houston
Baylor
UTSA
Texas A&M
UTSW
A program in Austin that's changed names too many times for me to know the current name
JPS
Texas Tech El Paso
Texas Tech Lubbock

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to two of these programs (transferred in residency). PM me if you have any questions.

Anybody have any thoughts on programs in Texas? Competitiveness? Good? Bad?

Interviewed at all except the Tech programs (didn't want to live in Lubbock or El Paso). I would have been happy to match at any of them, so I guess I consider all of them at least "good".

Competitivity-wise, UTSW is probably the best regarded outside of the state, but also is a large program. Baylor has some name recognition outside of the state as well, but is also a large program and not the equal to UTSW (IMHO). It's probably hardest to get into the smaller programs (UTMB/Texas A&M) as they take a fair amount of their own grads leaving just a few slots for others. Chances are best at all the programs for in-state med school grads or those with obvious Texas connections (undergrad, etc). It's not that out-of-staters are looked down upon, just that the local schools are the best-known commodities.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed at all except the Tech programs (didn't want to live in Lubbock or El Paso). I would have been happy to match at any of them, so I guess I consider all of them at least "good".

Competitivity-wise, UTSW is probably the best regarded outside of the state, but also is a large program. Baylor has some name recognition outside of the state as well, but is also a large program and not the equal to UTSW (IMHO). It's probably hardest to get into the smaller programs (UTMB/Texas A&M) as they take a fair amount of their own grads leaving just a few slots for others. Chances are best at all the programs for in-state med school grads or those with obvious Texas connections (undergrad, etc).

SO, if I am not from Texas or did not go to a Texas med school, chances are pretty low to match there.

Regardless.......

Reactions: 1 user
I think every program has non-Texas grads, so it's very doable and worth your time to interview. Just might be worth keeping in mind if finances/traveling expenses are a concern or if you aren't such a fan of the state.

SO, if I am not from Texas or did not go to a Texas med school, chances are pretty low to match there.

Regardless.......

Not necessarily. I'm not a Texan. I interviewed at two Texas places. They certainly seemed rather skeptical in interviews as Texans don't seem to comprehend the fact that in the rest of the country people move states quite often.

In any case, most our program is from Texas. I'm the only person in my class not from Texas. This year we ended up matching our top 5. Only 1 is from Texas. A big part is being known to the program. A lot of the conventional wisdom doesn't hold true, at least with our program. For instance, I was quite interested in UTMB. Conventional wisdom says audition rotation doesn't matter, so I never did one. Not having a connection to the area and being an average guy, why would they interview me (they didn't)? However, the same could be said about the two programs in Texas that I did interview at.

Bottom line: if you're interested enough in a place that you've got specific reasons why you'd really want to go there, you may want to consider rotating there so they know who you are. Everyone says it probably won't affect your chances but that's bull****. That may be true at the standard 20 programs that everyone talks about, but certainly not at more middle-of-the-road places.

What about the chances of an IMG at matching in Texas? If possible, I'd be very happy to match in Texas when I apply. I'll probably do a clerkship in University of Texas Houston, if that enhances my chances (also, that's the only program that accepts foreign medical students for clinical electives).

I don't have the money and have other things I can't leave at home for a month to do an away rotation so far from where I am now, but I will probably still apply to the 2 programs I was interested in. Thanks.

Which programs are you interested in? I wouldn't have done a whole month, just two weeks. That said, I didn't do any away rotations (sans a toxicology rotation for personal interest) and didn't have the money really, either. You can certainly still get interviews and match (as did I), but I think auditions open doors in terms of interviews and ranking more than people let on.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've got a legitimate interest in a particular program, let the program coordinator &/or program director know. A sincere e-mail partway into the interview season, along the lines of "I'm SoAndSo, ERAS ID#, and I'm really interested in your program because of A, B, & C..." would certainly help to get your application looked at a little more. I know our program had a lot more out of state applicants this year and we were left scratching our heads trying to figure out who was actually interested in the program vs just looking for a warm interview locale in December.

What about the chances of an IMG at matching in Texas? If possible, I'd be very happy to match in Texas when I apply. I'll probably do a clerkship in University of Texas Houston, if that enhances my chances (also, that's the only program that accepts foreign medical students for clinical electives).

Chances are better at the larger programs; UTSW and Baylor had several IMGs a couple years ago when I was interviewing. UT-Houston is worth looking into, as well, and a clerkship there (and getting to know the relevant people) may well help.

Regardless.......

I definitely wouldn't say that's true at UTSW and Baylor. I interviewed at both places, and while many applicants were from Texas med schools, there were also a good number that weren't. Of the 15 of us that matched at UTSW this year, about half are from med schools outside of Texas (though I know nothing about their connections beforehand).

Not necessarily. I'm not a Texan. I interviewed at two Texas places. They certainly seemed rather skeptical in interviews as Texans don't seem to comprehend the fact that in the rest of the country people move states quite often.

In any case, most our program is from Texas. I'm the only person in my class not from Texas. This year we ended up matching our top 5. Only 1 is from Texas. A big part is being known to the program. A lot of the conventional wisdom doesn't hold true, at least with our program. For instance, I was quite interested in UTMB. Conventional wisdom says audition rotation doesn't matter, so I never did one. Not having a connection to the area and being an average guy, why would they interview me (they didn't)? However, the same could be said about the two programs in Texas that I did interview at.

Bottom line: if you're interested enough in a place that you've got specific reasons why you'd really want to go there, you may want to consider rotating there so they know who you are. Everyone says it probably won't affect your chances but that's bull****. That may be true at the standard 20 programs that everyone talks about, but certainly not at more middle-of-the-road places.

UTH didn't interview me during the cycle, which I thought was somewhat odd since I have strong Texas connections; if only for that reason I thought I would get an interview, but I guess not.

I interviewed at most of the Texas programs for residency, did residency elsewhere, and did fellowship in Texas. I have some strong opinions about these programs, some good, some bad, some perhaps unfair but are my opinion all the same.

Matching depends on a lot of factors for the IMG. Are you a U.S. citizen? What connection do you have to Texas? How high are your USMLE scores? How fluent in English are you, do you have a heavy accent? I don't care, but it'd be a lie to say it doesn't matter at certain Texas programs.

Competitiveness wise:
Tier 1: UTSW -Dallas, UTMB, UTSW - Austin

Tier 2: UT-SA, Texas A&M, Baylor

Tier 3: UT-H, JPS, Texas Tech Lubbock

Tier 4: Texas Tech El Paso

UTSW-Dallas has excellent rotations and training. Very diverse. Austin is THE southern city to be in. UTMB has a great C&A program and the general program is cush - maybe best schedule in the entire south.

I think that's a pretty good breakdown, TexasPhysician. My opinion differs slightly:

Tier 1: UTSW -Dallas, UTSW - Austin, Baylor, JPS

Tier 2: UT-SA, Texas A&M, UTMB, UT-H

Tier 3: Texas Tech El Paso, Texas Tech Lubbock

Curious, what makes Texas Tech El Paso tier 4 and Tier 3 in both your guys opinion? Is it a new program? Is the didactics not strong enough? Do they not see enough patients? I'm interested to find out bcuz JPS is a community program, whereas Texas Tech - El paso is a University program, so just curious

Curious, what makes Texas Tech El Paso tier 4 and Tier 3 in both your guys opinion? Is it a new program? Is the didactics not strong enough? Do they not see enough patients? I'm interested to find out bcuz JPS is a community program, whereas Texas Tech - El paso is a University program, so just curious

My breakdown was based only on more objective competitiveness, not personal preference.

I have followed where top students go, transfers that leave, step scores, etc.

My breakdown is better viewed as - how difficult would it be for the average applicant to be accepted?

I interviewed at most of the Texas programs for residency, did residency elsewhere, and did fellowship in Texas. I have some strong opinions about these programs, some good, some bad, some perhaps unfair but are my opinion all the same.

Matching depends on a lot of factors for the IMG. Are you a U.S. citizen? What connection do you have to Texas? How high are your USMLE scores? How fluent in English are you, do you have a heavy accent? I don't care, but it'd be a lie to say it doesn't matter at certain Texas programs.

I'm not an U.S. citizen

What exactly do you mean by connection? I'm seriously planning to do two rotations in Texas, one in UT-Houston and another probably in Texas Tech (mostly because those are the only ones that accept IMGs for rotations). USMLE scores 250+. I don't think that I'm totally fluent in english yet, I still have a lot to learn but I can express myself in complex situations and probably for the time of the interview, I'll be fluent. About accent, the americans I've asked tell me that mine is quite soft.

Last edited:
I'm not an U.S. citizen

What exactly do you mean by connection? I'm seriously planning to do two rotations in Texas, one in UT-Houston and another probably in Texas Tech (mostly because those are the only ones that accept IMGs for rotations). USMLE scores 250+. I don't think that I'm totally fluent in english yet, I still have a lot to learn but I can express myself in complex situations and probably for the time of the interview, I'll be fluent. About accent, the americans I've asked tell me that mine is quite soft.
By connection I mean are you from Texas or lived there for some time, have gone to school in Texas, have family in Texas.

Anybody have any thoughts on programs in Texas? Competitiveness? Good? Bad?

Avoid Baylor. Its reputation for malignancy is well founded. It also seems to be perpetually on the verge of bankruptcy. Although it has a strength in psychodynamic training (a self-proclaimed one, anyway, although residents see way more of the VA and the Ben Taub ER than they ever do of Menninger), and although it has a strong faculty, the weaknesses of the program are notorious. If you insist on going to a Texas program, check out UTSW.

Avoid Baylor. Its reputation for malignancy is well founded. It also seems to be perpetually on the verge of bankruptcy. Although it has a strength in psychodynamic training (a self-proclaimed one, anyway, although residents see way more of the VA and the Ben Taub ER than they ever do of Menninger), and although it has a strong faculty, the weaknesses of the program are notorious. If you insist on going to a Texas program, check out UTSW.

Probably gonna just try some programs in VA. They are closer to me and I probably have a better shot at them. Thanks for the info.

As an aside, does anyone have any insight as to how the addiction psychiatry fellowships at UTSW and Baylor are? There is very limited information on SDN.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone able to give an overview of relative strength/impressions of C/A programs at Texas Residencies?

Any more thoughts on Baylor? I've seen several posts on this board that don't seem consistent with the impression I got. I go to school at a top northeast program, and the faculty here seem to think it's just under UTSW in terms of reputation and above all the other Texas programs.

I would like to go back to Texas for residency, so all the negative posts are concerning. Is it just because of the workload? I know they've made changes recently to reduce it, but it seemed comparable to other programs I've interviewed at.

Any more thoughts on Baylor? I've seen several posts on this board that don't seem consistent with the impression I got. I go to school at a top northeast program, and the faculty here seem to think it's just under UTSW in terms of reputation and above all the other Texas programs.

I would like to go back to Texas for residency, so all the negative posts are concerning. Is it just because of the workload? I know they've made changes recently to reduce it, but it seemed comparable to other programs I've interviewed at.
Workload is high at both UTSW and Baylor. Baylor maybe a little more, bit not much. I work with attendings who graduated from both programs. Both are prestigous programs and that is what they tell me. I did fellowship at a Texas program.
In general it is not necessary to do residency in Texas to get a good position or a fellowship spot in Texas after residency, but it doesn't hurt. It can help if you want to become faculty, due to having connections.

I'm not an U.S. citizen

I may have some info that maybe if interest to you. Pm me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk