Number of Resident spots per year for X program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermhopefully

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to find this out? I look on FREIDA and the info doesn't pop up. I have hunted down down individual residency program websites but some still don't list their residents or the number of spots per year. It would be helpful to know this before picking my aways.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a way to find this out? I look on FREIDA and the info doesn't pop up. I have hunted down down individual residency program websites but some still don't list their residents or the number of spots per year. It would be helpful to know this before picking my aways.

Unfortunately the best way would be to inquire among residents at each program. I know at my program, this # is subject to change from year to year. I assume it boils down to a funding issue.

I second what smallchild said....There are many programs that are approved for a odd number of positions say 7 where they take 2, 2, then 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can go to the ACGME website:

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

Click "Accredited Programs" on the left. Then select Dermatology, Show All States. This will give you a list of all the accredited programs in the US. Click on desired program, and it should tell you how many spots they are accredited for. As was mentioned before, this is a total for 3 years, and the number they take each year is likely dependent on funding, how many residents graduate that year, etc.

At the NRMP, when you search for programs to add to your rank list it tells the number of spots that they are matching. A little tedious but it's there and it should be the final, official number.