Nurse with PhD odds of getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scmrnbsnphd14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am currently a PhD student wanting to go to Med School. My GPA is 3.95 and I have been a nurse for 13 years. I am 35 is it too late?
Thanks
Sc

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is that you graduate or undergraduate GPA. The primary focus is on the uGPA.

Have you taken the pre-reqs for med school (gen chem, organcic chem, bio, physics ect.?) Have you taken the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry: Is that you graduate or undergraduate GPA? The primary focus is on the uGPA.

I drop a lot of ?s for some reason. Oh, but if you have taken the approved science prereqs, and if you have scored well on the MCAT, you may be in good shape. Also, why would 35 be too old? No freaking way that is too old/late.

Is that you graduate or undergraduate GPA. The primary focus is on the uGPA.
The GPA for undergrad is 3.95
Grad is 3.84
If the prerequisite is greater than 5 years does it still work

Sorry: Is that you graduate or undergraduate GPA? The primary focus is on the uGPA.

I drop a lot of ?s for some reason. Oh, but if you have taken the approved science prereqs, and if you have scored well on the MCAT, you may be in good shape. Also, why would 35 be too old? No freaking way that is too old/late.

I just wondered if anyone was my age in medical school.
So I should focus on MCAT score?
What about recommendations? Are attending's better or faculty or both?
I live in Texas and would like to stay in Texas for now....

Do you think past experience helps with admission? I also have heard the interview is really important. Is that a true statement?

How will you convince schools that you should be given a chance if you already jumped from nursing into a PhD and now want to jump again into another profession? Some schools will give you a chance due to your grades, but I can see many not wanting a career jumper that's already over educated.

That is funny that you think that a career jumper is someone who has worked in the same area for 13 years and received a Master's and now a doctorate in the same field Nursing with a focus in Neonatology. I don't know if you are aware of the career steps in Nursing but since I currently am focused on evidenced based research to be a P.I. and conduct my own studies I need the Doctorate in nursing. So all the MD/PhD students are career jumpers?
I think you should think before you speak

Honestly,

I say this respectfully, I think that most people in general DO NOT understand the educational steps for nursing, nursing advanced practice, or specialization. It's almost like most people think LPN = RN = APN or Nursing Ed, etc.

I 've been a critical care RN for many years. I am glad and proud of the knowledge base I've received from my work as a critical care RN. But I never cease to be amazed by some folks--as well as some nurses. Some nurses only learn the basics of what they need to perform a particular function or to get licensed or to get by. These kind of nurses are NOT professionals, and sadly, never will be. As far as people in general, well, I remember a woman many years ago asking, "What's the difference between a practical nurse and a nurse practitioner?" No joke. Sigh. . .Oh well. . .

Last edited:
That is funny that you think that a career jumper is someone who has worked in the same area for 13 years and received a Master's and now a doctorate in the same field Nursing with a focus in Neonatology. I don't know if you are aware of the career steps in Nursing but since I currently am focused on evidenced based research to be a P.I. and conduct my own studies I need the Doctorate in nursing. So all the MD/PhD students are career jumpers?
I think you're career jumping because you went from being a RN to a researcher. Those are different jobs even if in the same field. Then now you want to go back but be a doctor. Which one is it? What do you want to do? Be a clinical doctor? Then why did you get a research degree? Do you want to be a doctor and research for nursing (since that's your PhD)? How does an MD play an essential role to your goal? Most people with an MD/PhD have a set career goal of bridging the gap between basic science and medicine. If you don't like my comment, too bad but that's what some of us will wonder.

I think you're career jumping because you went from being a RN to a researcher. Those are different jobs even if in the same field. Then now you want to go back but be a doctor. Which one is it? What do you want to do? Be a clinical doctor? Then why did you get a research degree? Do you want to be a doctor and research for nursing (since that's your PhD)? How does an MD play an essential role to your goal? Most people with an MD/PhD have a set career goal of bridging the gap between basic science and medicine. If you don't like my comment, too bad but that's what some of us will wonder.
Well first I do not want to be a DO. Second I do not think you quite understand. I work on the HOSPITAL at the bedside as a transport NICU RN/I am a faculty member at the MS/ I also am a researcher. Sorry if I wear too many hats under the same roof. I want to do more in the CLINICAL area too. You know nothing about nursing and what we are capable of and how many jobs or areas one NURSE is able to do.
Thank you for helping me realize that maybe a highly educated top of the line Nurse might be better than medical school

Members don't see this ad :)
Well first I do not want to be a DO. Second I do not think you quite understand. I work on the HOSPITAL at the bedside as a transport NICU RN/I am a faculty member at the MS/ I also am a researcher. Sorry if I wear too many hats under the same roof. I want to do more in the CLINICAL area too. You know nothing about nursing and what we are capable of and how many jobs or areas one NURSE is able to do.
Thank you for helping me realize that maybe a highly educated top of the line Nurse might be better than medical school
What does being a DO have to do with anything? I didn't even mention DO. And if you don't want to be one, why does your status read DO/PhD student? Chill your horses, nurse.

It's true that nurses are preparing to inherit the Earth with a shrewd combination of legislative power, expanded scope and increased graduate educational opportunities and do they ever have the attitude about it to boot. I am dating an MSN student and oh the unmitigated ego. I understand that nursing culture is predatory and creates defensiveness; the Rosie the riveter avatar is a testament to your orientation but did you come to the forum for information or to flex?

Reactions: 6 users
You are not too advanced in age. We have quite a few students your age and they are doing as well if not better then anyone. I would line up your ducks and go for it. You wont know unless you do. Life is unpredictable and short so just do it without second guessing.

It's true that nurses are preparing to inherit the Earth with a shrewd combination of legislative power, expanded scope and increased graduate educational opportunities and do they ever have the attitude about it to boot. I am dating an MSN student and oh the unmitigated ego. I understand that nursing culture is predatory and creates defensiveness; the Rosie the riveter avatar is a testament to your orientation but did you come to the forum for information or to flex?

I understand the contention between APNs and physicians--but it's not as bad as many MS think. I know tons of APNs that "know their place" so to speak. By that I mean that they are educated and licensed in nursing science, etc, and NOT medical science. There may be a little crossover sometimes, but that's really not for the grander scheme of things. If anything, I have been seeing a lot of fear amongst some APNs/NPs. They have major prescribing fear. Some docs may have this also; but not as much IMHO. This seems most true for medically complex patients. So, for such patients, which are many anymore, it's less time-consuming for them to get in to see the physician--if they can even get an appointment w/ a physician in a reasonable period of time. This seems to be the bigger issue. I could give prime examples, but I am not sure people would read them or care.

Truth is, this is one reason why NP is somewhat of a waste of time from my POV. More thorough medical education, preparation, and good residency should help limit the fears and insecurities as compared with doing NP or anything of that nature.

My point was, however, that people really don't understand the differences in various kinds of nurses/nursing, nor do the understand the various requirements for educations, licensure, certifications, experiences, etc. I mean when someone says LPN = NP, or even RN for that matter, it makes my point as to the general level of ignorance amongst the GP.

IDK about the unmitigated ego. I mean, yes, I see this with some but not with others.

There is sadly something to your predatory comment and the creating of defensiveness. This I have witnessed over the decades. It's a sad commentary, and I am not sure I totally understand the dynamics of it.

If the prerequisite is greater than 5 years does it still work?

I am 35 is it too late?

Well first I do not want to be a DO. Second I do not think you quite understand....You know nothing about nursing and what we are capable of and how many jobs or areas one NURSE is able to do. Thank you for helping me realize that maybe a highly educated top of the line Nurse might be better than medical school

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Hi I am currently a PhD student wanting to go to Med School. My GPA is 3.95 and I have been a nurse for 13 years. I am 35 is it too late?
Thanks
Sc

Been a BSN and RN from last 3 years. Just starting Osteopathic Medical School this fall. I will be 42 when I start. So in my opinion and experience not late at all. You may get in touch with me if you have any questions. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
My point was, however, that people really don't understand the differences in various kinds of nurses/nursing, nor do the understand the various requirements for educations, licensure, certifications, experiences, etc. I mean when someone says LPN = NP, or even RN for that matter, it makes my point as to the general level of ignorance amongst the GP.

There are only so many acronyms that we can be expected to know, as a population.

Case in point: OP's screen name.

Last edited:
Thanks
Sc

Nope.

The GPA for undergrad is 3.95
Grad is 3.84
If the prerequisite is greater than 5 years does it still work

Yep.

Yep.
Yep.

Content rules all.

Do you think past experience helps with admission? I also have heard the interview is really important. Is that a true statement?

Yep. Yep.

You know nothing about nursing and what we are capable of and how many jobs or areas one NURSE is able to do.

I'll bite:
If all it took was for one person to give you a hard time on a message board to change your mind about becoming a Physician, then you should definitely stay where you are. This road is not for the faint of heart.

Reactions: 2 users
Also it would clear things up if you were to say, "Ph.D in Nursing" vs "Doctorate in Nursing". Ph.D. vs DNP, it's confusing.

Reactions: 1 user
Also it would clear things up if you were to say, "Ph.D in Nursing" vs "Doctorate in Nursing". Ph.D. vs DNP, it's confusing.

that's the reason I asked....if you want to do clinical work and are getting a DNP, in terms of money/clinical time you could very well just stick with the DNP. If you are doing a PhD and want to do clinical, go ahead and take the run at med school or go do a DNP

This is an impressive overreaction to advice, even by SDN standards.

Medical schools will question your motivations for switching careers, whether you feel it's justified or not. This is one of the reasons that I think it's harder to get into medical school as a non-trad... more things to answer for. Of course, I feel like it's possible to provide a more thoughtful answer than someone fresh out of college, but it is a question that all non-trads better have a good answer for. You should consider writing about your motivations in your PS.

I am somewhat nontraditional and attended an accelerated BSN program after getting my first BS; I will have worked as a nurse for almost two years when I start medical school in the fall.

In my personal statement and secondary applications, I fully addressed my "career switch." The first question I was asked in every interview I attended was "why the change from nursing to medicine?" My success (I was fortunate to have received multiple interviews and acceptances) was part luck and good fortune) and also dependent on my ability to carefully and thoroughly articulate the differences between nursing and medicine, tactfully address what I felt were the limitations of a nursing career (otherwise, why would I be looking to change?), AND explain how I felt a career in medicine would address these limitations.

You are certainly not too old for medical school. Your prerequisites are unlikely to be invalid (nonetheless, some schools require prereqs older than seven or ten years old to be taken again, so make sure to check the policies of schools you'll be applying to). You've demonstrated solid academic ability and yes, your experience as a nurse and a researcher will certainly be valuable. Nonetheless, you can almost guarantee you will be asked to justify your reason for changing careers. You need to truly feel limited by what a nursing career can offer and that there are certain things you can achieve and accomplish with a medical degree alone. If that is not how you truly feel, you will find it difficult to explain the change- and why would you want to make such a change?
I still retain the utmost respect for the nursing profession and understand it is a hugely critical component of providing quality patient care. Yet I know unequivocally it is not the role for me. If that's how you feel as well, you will have no trouble explaining "why," even if you're tired of writing yet another essay or answering another question about "why."

Your issue is not your age or your intelligence. Just make sure you truly understand the differences between the two professions (shadow, volunteer, do whatever you need to do to be able to answer this question) and you will be set. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Since the Op seems to have vanished, I'd like to applaud your writing style, this was fun to read for multiple reasons.

Since the Op seems to have vanished, I'd like to applaud your writing style, this was fun to read for multiple reasons.

I was hoping she'd come back and give some more feedback; but it's almost as though she was a bit slammed and not encouraged. I get weary at nurse or advanced-practice- nurse-hate. I can say that believing, sorry, fellow APNs, that their roles should be limited without a full medical education and proper residency. And I can say that also after having worked with, sorry, a fair number of the most cut-throat, mean nurses--generally more so that most docs I've worked around. Now that doesn't mean I haven't worked with many, many great nurses from all areas. As far as the nurse-nurse tension, or even nurse-to doc/resident tension, well, I've always chalked it up to some underlying female insecurity in nursing. I really can't say I totally understand it. There are gender issues; but we don't have to let them define us. Plenty of successful women have chosen not to be defined by these kinds of struggles.

Whatever, I hope the best for her.

Whatever, I hope the best for her.
I don't. Someone as arrogant as OP has no place in medicine. This is like Michael Jordan going into baseball. He didn't want to accept he had to earn his stripes. He thought just because he was a great athlete in one sport that people should be lining up to give him a major leagues contract. Quickly he learned the error of his ways. OP says I don't understand nursing. Fine. Lets accept that point for argument's sake. By default it follows that OP doesn't understand medicine the same the rest of us do. So when it comes to questioning her career choices, that's part of our process. If she can't handle our process, she doesn't deserve a part in our community.

Last edited:
I don't. Someone as arrogant as OP has no place in medicine. This is like Michael Jordan going into baseball. He didn't want to accept he had to earn his stripes. He thought just because he was a great athlete in one sport that people should be lining up to give him a major leagues contract. Quickly he learned the error of his ways. OP says I don't understand nursing. Fine. Lets accept that point for argument's sake. By default it follows that OP doesn't understand medicine the same the rest of us do. So when it comes to questioning her career choices, that's part of our process. If she can't handle our process, she doesn't deserve a part in our community.

OK, but what makes you so sure that she won't accept the process? Maybe she is taking time to really think it through right now? IDK. What you say make sense. We just don't really know where she is in this process--if anywhere at all. Maybe this has given her food for thought. If that is the case or not, I still hope the best for her--whatever she decides. But to be sure, the bottom line is if you want it, you will jump through the hoops--and you would be wise to know exactly why you would be jumping through the many hoops. At this point, I'd say that she's not too sure or clear on the whys.

I live in Texas and would like to stay in Texas for now....
Not too old IMO. I have been a RN for 8 years now and about to start med school next month in my mid 30s. One of my prereqs was over 10 years old and no schools said anything about it. I got accepted to both MD/DO. Good luck!

OK, but what makes you so sure that she won't accept the process? Maybe she is taking time to really think it through right now? IDK. What you say make sense. We just don't really know where she is in this process--if anywhere at all. Maybe this has given her food for thought. If that is the case or not, I still hope the best for her--whatever she decides. But to be sure, the bottom line is if you want it, you will jump through the hoops--and you would be wise to know exactly why you would be jumping through the many hoops. At this point, I'd say that she's not too sure or clear on the whys.
Maybe she will accept it. I just find it hard to be convinced it'll happen after her word choice. Don't get me wrong. I like that there are former nurses going into medicine. It helps us all bridge the gap, but I also think that if you do that you have to earn the stripes like any other pre-med.

Maybe she will accept it. I just find it hard to be convinced it'll happen after her word choice. Don't get me wrong. I like that there are former nurses going into medicine. It helps us all bridge the gap, but I also think that if you do that you have to earn the stripes like any other pre-med.

Agreed.

Thank you all for your great advice and comments.
I more than anything want to become a medical doctor. I think the quick negative response stemmed from my long journey these past 8 years. I have seen how terrible the nursing community treats some nurses. I was to graduate with my NNP last spring and was unable related to a health issue. I have had chemo twice and was recommended to move on to PhD program. I feel that I had lack of support and I had even taken an exam 48 hours post discharge with bacteremia and a stay in the ICU. I live and breathe medicine and I love evidence based practice. I have a 7 year old that I love dearly but stay at hm full time PhD student is super boring. I am not a quitter and I do not judge others. I am not offended by any words or comments.
I feel that I let myself down by not doing medical school and I am embarrassed that! I have wasted all that I have worked so hard to obtain. I believe I have amazing skills as a PICU/NICU nurse and transport/flight nurse in the NICU that it is all going to be eliminated.
I love research but I enjoy clinical settings more than research. I really have not jumped around I have maintained my 3.9 GPA and will not quit.
I am married to amazing man who is a top 100 Attorney in the city I live in. My husband can not and will not move from our city.
I am opened to all comments please
I was asking the questions based on the high reputation that physicians work well to take care of each other. I think nursing as a whole does not do a good job with helping or working as a team.
I can take a certificate to become a NP
But I don't know?
I do know that it is hard to think my clinical opportunities might be over.
I am sure there is no medical school who wants a new student who has needed chemo twice in two years.
I know it was a long shot but maybe one day it will happen.
I read SDN for encouragement and maybe I never should have asked.
Please excuse me if the remarks were taken as rude or disrespectful.
I was not hiding I was just reading
I am a humble caring person. I grew up poor and my way or plan was to get an RN degree and make money and go to medical school.
It did not go that way. I married a great man (was never going to marry) and had a baby [not on my to do list either]
I started the post because I wanted to know if I had waited too long.
I agree it looks as if I cannot make a decision but in reality the decision I have always wanted is medical school.
I appreciate the comments and the nurses who commented as well.
It is ok to speak freely
I am back to talk.....and listen :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412549551.254624.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412549551.254624.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 45
I don't think I can change screen name sorry

Last edited:
I didn't read the entire thread but I am struck by this: you have a husband and child you love dearly. You have stared down cancer and, so far, won. You have accomplished much in spite of illness. I cannot imagine a more unnecessary strain on all of your lives right now than medical school. By itself, not all that bad--but clinical years are long hours and the much more exhausting residency seems a really unwise move for you.
Please understand I am trying to "speak the truth in love". I have felt much of your angst in wanting to learn more and do more for my patients...I had an 11-year career as a PA and taught PAs before returning to med school for many of these same reasons. I very nearly ended up divorced (again) because of the strain this journey put on my husband and me emotionally and financially. I know full well that the only reasons I was able to succeed really is that a) I'm nobody's mother, b) I have a very patient and self-sufficient husband, and c) I've been blessed with excellent health. I can't imagine how or why I would have pursued this crazy thing called med school in my late thirties and residency in my forties if I faced your challenges.
You've been granted life. Your NNP program sounds like it just sucks...and I'm so sorry for that. What a waste. My sister is a leading nurse faculty researcher at U of AZ and is contributing valuable work in neonatal care with a PhD and 15 years of the same kind of critically important bedside (crib side?) work you've done. I really encourage you to see what kinds of opportunities are available to you in research. Be well.

After reviewing the conversations I can see where there might have been confusion. I have not made many changes in career.
I am a nurse no matter what. That is my career. I worked in PICU and NICU advanced to flight/ ground transport RN and was asked to start a picc line team (the first in the NICU) to decrease CLABSI. While I was successful in these areas I was approached by attending physicians to help continue the nationwide Hypothermia cooling Blanket trials that became standard of practice in 2010. I was working as a bedside nurse the entire time the others were evolving. I became I'll did chemo was in remission and decided I was ready for NNP school. My body was not and relapsed with bacteremia and started chemo again. Maintaining all my coursework and GPA of 3.97 or whatever.
The nursing profession wanted me to not do NNP but to do PhD. I did nothing wrong. I just was asked to move to PhD.
My world had been crushed ever since. I am in the PhD program and do not want to do DNP.
I hope this can explain more of where I was coming from.
My family is all medical
CEO of one hospital
Director of an area of medicine in a medical school
My grandmother was a trauma director
And most the men who helped raise me are amazing physicians.
There is no lack of disrespect from me in fact I am the one who has no self respect for letting everyone down

I appreciate and completely understand everything you have said. I think I doubt that once I receive my PhD. I will no longer get an opportunity to be an NP.
Probably TMI but I feel I have lost all self worth I lived and breathed medicine and was fine with the NP. I just thought maybe I could try a different route.
Thank you

So you grew up poor but your mom is a trauma director and half your family are physicians? What?

Honestly, don't do medicine. It's simply not worth it. Some people in nursing suck. Some people in medicine suck. Putting the medical school strain on a marriage, a kid and moving away is too much IMO. I'm single and without kids, yet I still want to find a way out so I don't have to give up my life to this. There are more important things to life than a job. Those things mainly are family and friends.

I thank you for your input.
I am not feminist but I want to be able to provide for my daughter and be a good role model. I don't want her to do nursing sometimes because I feel they eat there young. The medical society and ranks from student through 1/2/3 and 4th year residency is all about the chain of command and the respect for the people before you. I honor that system.

So you grew up poor but your mom is a trauma director and half your family are physicians? What?

Honestly, don't do medicine. It's simply not worth it. Some people in nursing suck. Some people in medicine suck. Putting the medical school strain on a marriage, a kid and moving away is too much IMO. I'm single and without kids, yet I still want to find a way out so I don't have to give up my life to this. There are more important things to life than a job. Those things mainly are family and friends

What you say is true. I think that my job and what I did brought joy and happiness to my life, family and friends

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412554094.585787.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412554094.585787.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 29
I am married to amazing man who is a top 100 Attorney in the city I live in. My husband can not and will not move from our city.

Out of everything, this is what IMO will be the biggest hurdle for you.
Obviously you live in a big city somewhere (since there are enough lawyers to have a "top 100" list), and hopefully there are multiple medical schools in your city (there are only a handful of cities with >1 med school), but the max is 6 if I'm remembering correctly.
Even if you live in one of these cities, 6 is still a pretty short list of med schools to be applying to (especially since the majority of MSs in major metropolitan areas tend to be high-stats & very competitive). If there are only 1-2 schools, then that's a foolishly short application list.
There are no guarantees in this process, and being geographically limited will be a big hurdle.
Whereas you presumably have a position or several lined up in your city where you could utilize a DNP.

Not to say one is better than the other, just throwing this out as something to think about.
If you're dead set on medicine and staying in your city, you should go talk to admissions at the MSs in your city to get advice on how to be the absolute best candidate for that school...hedge your bets as much as possible.