Nurses at my hospital are getting scope creeped by aides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proudfather94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My hospital has implemented a training program that let's nursing aides pull out ivs, Foley catheters, and do small dressing changes. They are offering. 75 cents an hour to do all of this extra stuff. Alot of the nurses are for it as they are lazy and want to do less work. The nursing union is a major thorn in the hospitals side and I'm sure they're doing this to take work away from the nurses to leverage bargaining power.

They can justify not giving pay raises when negotiating with the union by stating that nurses don't have to do as many things and can mostly pass meds and chart their assessments at this point.

Most nurses aides don't really care much about the job as it pays poorly and will be more likely to screw up.

The parallel of how NPs trying to gain more scope of practice at the cost of patient safety and nurses aides doing the same thing is hilarious. Most of the nurses on my floor are pro np anti attending so I guess karma is about to come in a few years when their pay gets lowered due to having parts of their job taken by someone that shouldn't be doing it to save the hospital some money.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My hospital has implemented a training program that let's nursing aides pull out ivs, Foley catheters, and do small dressing changes. They are offering. 75 cents an hour to do all of this extra stuff. Alot of the nurses are for it as they are lazy and want to do less work. The nursing union is a major thorn in the hospitals side and I'm sure they're doing this to take work away from the nurses to leverage bargaining power.

They can justify not giving pay raises when negotiating with the union by stating that nurses don't have to do as many things and can mostly pass meds and chart their assessments at this point.

Most nurses aides don't really care much about the job as it pays poorly and will be more likely to screw up.

The parallel of how NPs trying to gain more scope of practice at the cost of patient safety and nurses aides doing the same thing is hilarious. Most of the nurses on my floor are pro np anti attending so I guess karma is about to come in a few years when their pay gets lowered due to having parts of their job taken by someone that shouldn't be doing it to save the hospital some money.
nurses right now are doing very well. Where im at they are getting 77 bucks an hour, agency nurses are getting I believe 100 (obviously not all of that goes to the nurse), and I think night nurses agency are getting $150.

not bad time to be a nurse

nurses right now are doing very well. Where im at they are getting 77 bucks an hour, agency nurses are getting I believe 100 (obviously not all of that goes to the nurse), and I think night nurses agency are getting $150.

not bad time to be a nurse
Oh I'm not saying it's bad to be a nurse my wife's one. I was just making a prediction about how my hospital is allowing aides to do a lot of the tasks that nurses use to do and how they will likely impact their ability to demand more money in the future. The base pay for them at my hospital is 26 an hour I believe.

I just think it's funny the shoes about to be on the other foot for nurses as their scope is about to be encroached on. While they don't get paid per pt or procedure like a physician they will not be able to ask for better raises as easily or expect fewer patients if they are relieved of half of their job duties. Aides at my hospital grab vitals, EKGs, blood draws, and now pull foleys, ivs, and do small dressing changes. That leaves placing ivs, foleys, large dressing changes, hanging medications and assessments and other charting. most patients it only takes 5 minutes to place an iv or Foley and the good nurses on my floor can get their charting done in 3 hours or less. I would say they just lost about a 3rd of their job duties so that will make it harder to justify increasing their pay.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not saying it's bad to be a nurse my wife's one. I was just making a prediction about how my hospital is allowing aides to do a lot of the tasks that nurses use to do and how they will likely impact their ability to demand more money in the future. The base pay for them at my hospital is 26 an hour I believe.

I just think it's funny the shoes about to be on the other foot for nurses as their scope is about to be encroached on. While they don't get paid per pt or procedure like a physician they will not be able to ask for better raises as easily or expect fewer patients if they are relieved of half of their job duties. Aides at my hospital grab vitals, EKGs, blood draws, and now pull foleys, ivs, and do small dressing changes. That leaves placing ivs, foleys, large dressing changes, hanging medications and assessments and other charting. most patients it only takes 5 minutes to place an iv or Foley and the good nurses on my floor can get their charting done in 3 hours or less. I would say they just lost about a 3rd of their job duties so that will make it harder to justify increasing their pay.
They have been delegating that **** to aides for years. It was the next natural step. The LCD thats the goal. Bed Pan changing, foley change outs? What is this 1985 nursing school? Nurses have been trying to get out of actual nursing for years and going where the real power lies: admin. They have been trying to add prestige and gravitas to nursing with RN-->BSN, MSN, and all the other alphabet soup they can come up with.

The idiots doing the day to day with patients don't have much more than a high school degree. Use a punch card to get in and out and are fired if a a supervisor even suspects they stole a pack of graham crackers out of the break room.