nurses becoming doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can relate to FCMike not wanting ARNP. I live and work as an RN in Florida. I know ARNP's are gaining ground...but Florida is pretty conservative in this respect. Had a male ARNP tell me not to become one..that he was basically looked at as a "Nurse with a master's degree" Everything he did and wrote up as a hospitalist NP had to be later signed and it stated ...was in conjunction with so and so MD. Of note the salary is also like half of what an MD hospitalist makes.

Also have considered the CRNA route but it appears the market is getting flooded to an extent. Also to many schools here in Florida making it even worse.

Could be wrong but I just dont see this hostile ARNP takeover. I think the DNP is somewhat ridiculous actually. I think a well trained physician is going to have there place always. Like FCMike its not all about money either. But even on the $$ side of things. Someday the MD despite all the loans etc is still going to come out ahead of the ARNP...assuming they live and practice long enough.

As a person that will eventually retire in the Philippines.. ( married to a philipina) the ARNP thing doesnt work..actually even DO. If I wanted to just see patients for free etc..or teach... Many countries do not have ARNP's or CRNA's..or recognize DO's.

Members don't see this ad.

So i'm currently a nursing student, in my last year. I've thought very hard about becoming both a nurse practitioner or an MD. I can't decide which route to take. I need some advice!

So i'm currently a nursing student, in my last year. I've thought very hard about becoming both a nurse practitioner or an MD. I can't decide which route to take. I need some advice!
What makes you want to become a physician? What makes you want to pursue the NP path? What don't you like about pursuing an MD/DO? What don't you like about becoming an NP? People here can provide some great advice, but we need to know about more about what your thoughts/goals/concerns/etc. are to provide any meaningful feedback.

By the way, welcome to SDN!

Reactions: 1 user
An old-revived thread. . .with so many nurse-to-physician threads abounding. . .sigh.

Please see my reply in the following thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/bsn-to-md-do.1089489/#post-15537561

Bottom line, most RN-grads know Jack-**** about nursing and relevant data and insights that must be shared with the medical personnel/physicians until they are more than a few years out and working full-time--and depending upon what specific areas they work---and in what kinds of hospitals--and finally, their level of motivation--that is to be on top of things--taking disease-process/treatment information home and learning relevant information/application insights on THEIR OWN TIME. Many nurses aren't motivated to do this--probably b/c they have to spend so much time running their butts off, trying to please every pt, physician, and discipline in the hospital. It's a field that get's hugely dumped on by many. It's just part of how it rolls. It's isn't bad; but like medicine, many nursing students go into nursing and have NO idea what they are getting into. And some nursing programs move you right into clinicals from semester one, along with didactics, and other programs don't. It all depends.

Once more, RN/BSN or even some BA in nursing, which isn't usually as appreciated in nursing as the applied science degree, is not enough--you need hard-core experience over time--and it is NO stepping stone to medicine. Seriously.

Last edited: