Nursing program doesn't like my science major classes - Okay to repeat them in the version they want without jeopardizing med school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am co-applying to a few different programs because they're all competitive and I want to be safe. My B.S. in Biology is not very employable on its own and I'll need to do some further school in some form.

The BSN program is really persnickity about what pre-req classes it wants. A lot of the ones I took for my Biology major (my Microbiology geared towards natural science majors, my Physiology geared towards natural science majors, etc.) are not things they'll accept. They want the other Microbio and Physiology that are health-science based. For example, the Microbiology for Biology majors is heavily into Biochemistry and the one for nurses teaches about different classes of antibiotics.

I already re-took Physiology for them. I felt one was okay because Bio major Physiology is called Animal Physiology and covers all major phyla and the nursing one is called Human Physiology and is just people. For some reason, I am nervous about taking the pre-nursing Microbiology given that I have already taken the Bio major Microbiology.

I worry it will look suspicious to take the same course content twice.

Medical school is certainly my first choice. I don't want to say anything to jeopardize my chances at that whilst ensuring I have a second and third choice lined up, y'know?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you currently still getting your BS and trying to get a BSN at the same time or have you finished your BS right now are taking extra courses?

I know a couple of nursing majors who had to retake science courses to reapply to Med school and they didn’t run into any issues with their applications, but it kind of differs since they talked specifically about switching from nursing to medical school.

If I was in your position I think I would just apply for only medical school the first round and then re-evaluate if I wasn’t successful the first round. A BS in biology alone might not be sustainable for a long term career but it can get you a job out of undergrad. Scribing is very underpaid but I know it provides good clinical experience. I used to work in a research lab and we hired a lot of straight out of undergrads with bio degrees. I had friends with bio degrees who worked in companies doing a variety of job types from more administrative to wet lab work.

Reactions: 1 users
"To do two things at once is to do neither." -Publilius Syrus

If you want to go to medical school then focus all your attention and planning on getting into medical school. If that does not pan out you can always pursue an accelerated BSN program down the line. Apparently they can be completed in 12-18 months.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s not nursing schools are persnickety . That’s their curriculum. Most people do the nursing stuff and work for awhile and decide they want to be a doctor. So they go back and take the premed requirements. Do you want to be a doctor or a nurse? If you want to be a doctor focus your time and energy on that route. Forget taking nursing requirements. Since you haven’t shared any information with us , we can’t tell how competitive you are for med school. Maybe fill in this:

and post it in the WAMC forum.

And I will say that going to nursing school itself, Especially after having a BS in biology, hurts any medical school application. specialized health major such as nursing Have the lowest acceptance rate of any major, Part of the reason It raises the question of motivation and commitment to an admissions committee. Do you want from the BS in biology Then to a BSN and now you’re trying to jump to medical school? Why do you feel the need To get an additional degree prior to applying to medical school?

This is if I don't get into medical school.

I am not young anymore. I would apply to nursing schools at the same time I apply to medical schools. I would not go before my application cycle or during my application cycle.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
It’s not nursing schools are persnickety . That’s their curriculum. Most people do the nursing stuff and work for awhile and decide they want to be a doctor. So they go back and take the premed requirements. Do you want to be a doctor or a nurse? If you want to be a doctor focus your time and energy on that route. Forget taking nursing requirements. Since you haven’t shared any information with us , we can’t tell how competitive you are for med school. Maybe fill in this:

and post it in the WAMC forum.

This is plan B or C if I don't get into medical school. Not something I plan to do before my app cycle or during. I want to be a doctor but am afraid I can't, so I will apply to other stuff at the same time.

These are the prereq courses they want to even look at your application.

Last edited:
This is plan B or C if I don't get into medical school. Not something I plan to do before my app cycle or during. I want to be a doctor but am afraid I can't, so I will apply to other stuff at the same time.

These are the prereq courses they want to even look at your application.
I understand your wanting to be efficient with your time, but I urge you to carefully consider @Med Ed's comment above. You asked if it would look suspicious to take the same course content twice. Yes, it will.

It will look like what it is -- that you are preparing for nursing school while applying to med school, which will signal a lack of commitment to med school to the med schools, which will have the unfortunate effect of sabotaging your application. Pick a path and stick to it, changing later if necessary. Trying to do two things at once will likely lead to success in neither, as @Med Ed said above.

Reactions: 4 users
I understand your wanting to be efficient with your time, but I urge you to carefully consider @Med Ed's comment above. You asked if it would look suspicious to take the same course content twice. Yes, it will.

It will look like what it is -- that you are preparing for nursing school while applying to med school, which will signal a lack of commitment to med school to the med schools, which will have the unfortunate effect of sabotaging your application. Pick a path and stick to it, changing later if necessary. Trying to do two things at once will likely lead to success in neither, as @Med Ed said above.

That's a great point. I think I am giving in to family pressure too much. You are right, @Med Ed.

I appreciate all of your time! Thank you so much for your help. :)