Nursing Shortage, False in a future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaCksm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will Nursing Shortage not be here in a few years? Instead of Nursing Shortages, their will be to much nurses? Since, the economy is extremely horrendous right now and unemployment rates are high. Everyone is looking for a new job. Everywhere I see, articles, especially on yahoo front page it lists "Jobs that are recession proof, jobs with good pay" and it lists Nursing. It always lists nursing and how it has great job outlook, how their is a shortage, and how easy you can find a job.
Will many people go learn about nursing these few years, in hopes to find a recession-proof job? And, Will in the future the medical field will be flooded with nursing? My dad for example, before their was a job that no one had and had great outlook. He went and learnt it, but now the job has too much people and is flooded. Will this happen to nursing?

Members don't see this ad.

There have been recessions in the past (Ex. 1970's) and during recessions people tend to go back to school. This will lead to more people in the nursing field as well as more people in many other fields that require college level education and higher. However, nursing is hardly the only field on the list of "safe" careers to go into. Also, the very reason that nursing is so safe is because it is a high stress and relatively under paid job. So although many people may seek that career over others deemed safe, at least some of those people, if not a good portion, will realize either during their training or shortly after that they cannot or do not wish to handle the stress.

In other words, there are many factors other than the economy when it comes to the nurse shortage.

Also remember that part of the reason for the persistant nursing shortage is the lack of instructors in nursing school. And the places where nursing needs are felt most acutely are in rural areas where few want to venture. Nursing wages are also pulled down by the importation of foreign nurses, although I don't know how much affect that actually have on overall wages.

With the current economy, I forsee more people going into nursing and other health care professions. Will it be enough to offset the current shortage? I'm not sure.