Nursing vs Public Health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shayla15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question. I am looking into getting a second degree in Nursing, and also a Masters in Public Health with a Health policy and Management concentration. Which degree should I pursue?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your current profession? Nursing and public health will land you VERY different jobs once finished with the degree. Nursing is clinical, you will be very involved with patients all day long, sick ones. Do you love medical settings and dealing closely with people all the time? Do you love the human body, helping sick people, learning about how the body works, and working your BUTT off ? I am a former SLP who went the public health route after 10 years in the field, my last positions were in home care and skilled nursing facilities, I was burned out and wanted a desk job, which I got. Depends how you want so spend your day and with what types of people, and in what settings. Nursing sounds like a tough road if you are not enamored of the idea and positive that is the route you want. Public Health is quite broad, and often not clear cut as to what jobs you will get.

Nursing. You can get into nursing leadership or departments like quality management, if you're into the administrative side.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question. I am looking into getting a second degree in Nursing, and also a Masters in Public Health with a Health policy and Management concentration. Which degree should I pursue?

There are several things to consider when looking at the big picture and that is do you want to concentrate on just nursing and then do the public health masters degree or do you want to do the nursing degree and the public health masters degree at the same time? Some schools offer both in a desirable way that you can do both at the same time. I would ask my counselor or advisor for that information and see about doing some research as well. That is wonderful that you want to do both. I wish you the best. Purplespider, CNA