NY approves using Neuropsychology Technicians!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneNeuroDoctor

Clinical Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NY finally passes law authorizing Neuropsychologist to hire and use Neuropsychology Technicians. They used model originally developed by the Arkansas Psychology Board, which was the first state to authorize use of neuropsych technicians.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally. This had been an issue I'd heard of since I was in grad school, and which likely pre-dated even that. I'd also heard that passage of the law forbidding tech use resulted in a number of neuropsychologists leaving the NY state psych association and starting their own neuropsych-specific organization out of protest, as the state association had either explicitly or tacitly (e.g., via inaction) supported the law.

I could be remembering that completely incorrectly, though, so please someone from the area correct me if I'm wrong.

No…it's been a long-standing issue and a major reason why I never seriously considered any jobs in the state. It is also a GREAT example of local/state/national efforts working in unison to get something done.

Is it commonplace to use techs for pediatric neuro evaluations?