NY Presbyterian Gets Paid $97K for 28fx Prostate...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWallnerus

e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
...On a Medicare Advantage patient. Ordinarily, other hospitals and freestanding places will be getting ~$17K max (very few small places have the ability to negotiate >100% Medicare rate)... and that's true even if they're doing 45 fraction IMRT.

PWr4zih.png

They also get ~$12K per SBRT fraction on MA patients.

"End of tweet" as Jimmy Caan used to say.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
...On a Medicare Advantage patient. Ordinarily, other hospitals and freestanding places will be getting ~$17K max (very few small places have the ability to negotiate >100% Medicare rate)... and that's true even if they're doing 45 fraction IMRT.

PWr4zih.png

Why would MA agree to pay that? Usually they are trying to bone freestanding centers by paying less than Medicare rates and pocketing the difference

PWr4zih.png

Where is the original negotiated price list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would MA agree to pay that? Usually they are trying to bone freestanding centers by paying less than Medicare rates and pocketing the difference
I do not have an answer. Why did the Beatles break up. Why is there more matter than antimatter in our universe. Why is Elon Musk throwing all his money in a fire. Why.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
And the doctor gets paid $1500 of that $98,000 and is told by admin with a straight face that any more than that would be illegal because it would be above "fair market value."

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users

PWr4zih.png

Which MA plan is paying that much to them? All of them? Would love to see a source...

Reactions: 1 user
Or using Optum and Evicore to stall until the patient is dead so they don't have to pay at all.

MA plans are one of the biggest scams in the scammiest industry.

Reactions: 5 users
Or using Optum and Evicore to stall until the patient is dead so they don't have to pay at all.

How are they more “scammy” than the outright thievery of NY Presbyterian, a third tier department? Medicare advantage has profit capped at a set amount 10-15% by law.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have stopped hypofx of prostates because of this. The big places can do it and still make a killing. I do it and it doesn’t matter it just means I’ll be working for the big place faster and my Dept won’t function.

Reactions: 3 users
I have stopped hypofx of prostates because of this. The big places can do it and still make a killing. I do it and it doesn’t matter it just means I’ll be working for the big place faster and my Dept won’t function.
conventional fractionation is the gold standard :)

Reactions: 7 users
I do not have an answer. Why did the Beatles break up. Why is there more matter than antimatter in our universe. Why is Elon Musk throwing all his money in a fire. Why.

I don't have an answer, but I have a hypothesis.

1. NYP is such a large system that they can leverage the MA insurance companies. "Finance bros, NYPD, school teachers etc. want a plan that get's them care at NYP. If you want to be able to include us in network, this is what you have to pay."

2. The MA plan kind of shrugs at this sort of stuff because of the old mandated loss ratio.

Per the link above:

Medical loss ratios. Since 2014, Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription drug plans have been required to have “medical loss ratios” no lower than 85 percent. This means that plans’ administrative expenses and profits, or margins, can be no higher than 15 percent of the total revenues that plans receive from the federal government (in the form of payments) and enrollees (in the form of premiums).

The higher the total cost of care, the larger the absolute acceptable margin. The math may dictate that: all those premiums from such and such sector of our community more than make up for the excess negotiated cost of service and the total increase in cost allows for a larger profit in terms of absolute number).

Just the usual f@3k@5y that large organizations participate in.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

I don't have an answer, but I have a hypothesis.

1. NYP is such a large system that they can leverage the MA insurance companies. "Finance bros, NYPD, school teachers etc. want a plan that get's them care at NYP. If you want to be able to include us in network, this is what you have to pay."

2. The MA plan kind of shrugs at this sort of stuff because of the old mandated loss ratio.

Per the link above:

Medical loss ratios. Since 2014, Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription drug plans have been required to have “medical loss ratios” no lower than 85 percent. This means that plans’ administrative expenses and profits, or margins, can be no higher than 15 percent of the total revenues that plans receive from the federal government (in the form of payments) and enrollees (in the form of premiums).

The higher the total cost of care, the larger the absolute acceptable margin. The math may dictate that: all those premiums from such and such sector of our community more than make up for the excess negotiated cost of service and the total increase in cost allows for a larger profit in terms of absolute number).

Just the usual f@3k@5y that large organizations participate in.

If you only get a piece of the pie, just make the pie larger!

Reactions: 1 users

I think MA plans should be outlawed, or at least prohibited from using the name Medicare at all.

Reactions: 4 users