NYC jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junebugjohnson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if PowerMD or anyone else might have some input on the job scene/market in NYC. I'm sure it's at least a bit tighter than most places simply by virtue of it being NYC. But in general, do you have to have connections or be from a local residency? How is the pay and lifestyle relative to other regions (maybe lower, but how much lower?)? Are the groups run democratically and fairly? Are there particular fellowships that may provide an edge?

Any input would be much appreciated. I think I may end up moving to NYC after residency if things seem reasonable over that way...

thanks.
JBJ

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if PowerMD or anyone else might have some input on the job scene/market in NYC. I'm sure it's at least a bit tighter than most places simply by virtue of it being NYC. But in general, do you have to have connections or be from a local residency? How is the pay and lifestyle relative to other regions (maybe lower, but how much lower?)? Are the groups run democratically and fairly? Are there particular fellowships that may provide an edge?

Any input would be much appreciated. I think I may end up moving to NYC after residency if things seem reasonable over that way...

thanks.
JBJ

Connections always help, but probably aren't necessary. The job offers I hear about from recent grads are excellent. Time to partnership is 3-4 years. Starting salaries around 300K for private practice with call. Usually a progressive increase, topping out around 600K with partnership. A few practices do even better.

Watch out for NAPA. They have contracts with a lot of hospitals on Long Island. Partnership tracks are 5 years. You start at about 180K, increasing by 15-20K/yr. Once a partner, you are eligible to receive profit sharing bonuses, but you are not a true partner. You never get to see the accounting books, so you have no idea how bonuses are determined. It's a setup to get screwed. I'm not sure if this is true, but I think they use an off shore malpractice carrier for tail coverage, which could be a problem if you ever try to leave. People take jobs with NAPA for convenience and good locations, but they don't have a great rep among our residents.

Westchester, NJ, and PA have some excellent jobs. If you want to work IN NYC, you may have to go academic. Very few residents have taken jobs in the Manhattan, so I don't have much info on that. If you go academic, some places will offer as much as $300K to start, but you better have a lot to offer (pedigree, publications, advanced clinical skills- TEE, pain, regional, critical care). Columbia starts ordinary attendings at $130K, plus 2K per call. Very desirable people are started at $300K. The word on the street is it's all up to what you negociate. I hear that Montefiore pays well.

Westchester, NJ, and PA have some excellent jobs. If you want to work IN NYC, you may have to go academic. Very few residents have taken jobs in the Manhattan, so I don't have much info on that. If you go academic, some places will offer as much as $300K to start, but you better have a lot to offer (pedigree, publications, advanced clinical skills- TEE, pain, regional, critical care). Columbia starts ordinary attendings at $130K, plus 2K per call. Very desirable people are started at $300K. The word on the street is it's all up to what you negociate. I hear that Montefiore pays well.

Most everyone in the northeast is a crook. Extended partnership tracks, you dont get to see the books, extra long hours... ask around. I left the northeast 5 years ago. Havent been back since.. There are plenty of anesthesiologists who have been screwed royally in the area. As for NYC.. you cant live in NY with a salary of 300. I mean you can but its tough since the minimum dwelling halfway decent in manhattan is 1- 2 mil. making your mortgage about about 10k.. fpretty hefty.. I hear you can negotiate some stuff in the middle of the country