NYC PMSR/RRA residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamifeat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of these programs are 3 years?
Which are the best— lots of trauma, well rounded, etc.?

Thoughts on practicing in NY considering there are no ankle privileges? How is the average salary here higher when compared to other states when given no ankle surgeries are possible?

Is NYC saturated with podiatrists?

Is NJ any better?

Members don't see this ad.

Which of these programs are 3 years?- NYP-Queens, Mount Sinai, and St. Barnabas are 4-years, the rest are 3.

Thoughts on practicing in NY considering there are no ankle privileges? - There is, you have to get ankle privileges, see link below

Is NYC saturated with podiatrists? Yes

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you from experience that the rate of fraud and abuse in some NYC programs is outrageous. There are some residency directors who simply run Medicaid clinics that are surgery mills. Anyone who has the misfortune of being seen there ends up with surgery, most of which are unnecessary and poorly performed.

These programs have residents who are free labor for the directors. Being hired as a consultant to review these cases and doctors has resulted in some nice paychecks for me.

There are some quality and ethical NYC programs. They are the exception and not the rule.

This is entirely random - improved look for the listing though they should set the default at showing 100 per page. Hopefully just a typo, but MercyOne Waterloo isn't listed that I can find.

It seems like this program is not participating in the 21 cycles.

Also, they seem to have taken the pay rates off every single residency information page. WTF

Yeah, they removed the stipends from that list but are still available under the program summary chart:

Also, they seem to have taken the pay rates off every single residency information page. WTF

What the he does resident salary have to with anything? All residents get paid poorly and salary is usually reflective of the geographic area you train in.

This should be the last thing student should worry about.

Get the best training possible

Reactions: 1 user
What the he does resident salary have to with anything? All residents get paid poorly and salary is usually reflective of the geographic area you train in.

This should be the last thing student should worry about.

Get the best training possible

It's very helpful for choosing a program. There was a specific program I avoided because it paid 30k less a year than every single residency around it. And it wasn't a bad program, but I still wouldn't take a 30k paycut to be there.

Resident salary doesn't matter in the long run, but 3 years is a long time to survive if your program pays nothing. I ate almost every single meal at my hospital for 2.5 years (and the food sucked). I stole food every single weekend from the cafeteria ("on call again?!?"). I paid $4K in cash to have a kid and had the hospital's overpriced health insurance. As I wrote the check I thought about a program I visited 4th year where the residents described what great care they received, how they had their kids for free at their hospital. I recycled cans for money. I was broke as hell. There are no shortage of good programs where you don't have to be broke. Benefits and pay are highly variable. Be broke and go to West Houston - sure. But there are plenty of great programs that also pay you a salary you can live on. Before I did podiatry school I had an awful corporate job where I started at $42K. 2008 recession and what not. I left making $50K and the funny thing was - $50K felt like so much more than $40K because every dollar was well above my cost of living. There were literally podiatry programs a few years ago that paid sub-$40K. I agree - it isn't the end of the world. But its inconvenient.

Now I'd like to make a reference to Dave Chapelle and his dad.

"I hate being poor!"
"David, poor is a state of mind. You're not poor. You're broke".
Something like that.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I think excluding a rotation at a crappy paying program is reasonable. It’s good info to know even if it only eliminates a program or two from your wish list.

I’m not sure how many programs, who offer good to excellent training, also offer sub-par pay? Meaning, how many well respected residency programs pay $40k per year? Our program offered great training (unique but great) and had some of the better pay/benefits I saw, especially given COL in the area. My guess is almost anywhere you would want to go pays well enough that it would never be a deciding factor.