NYCOM c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tourniquet1963

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
woohoo!!

Members don't see this ad.

Lol, why am I the first one to post here?

I look forward to meeting all of you!

someone should start a facebook group.. nothing's official without facebook.. hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
Hokie started one :).

Look forward to meeting everyone! Congrats againn!

hey guys I started a facebook group called NYCOM Class of 2013. Be sure to join it when u get a chance!

congratulations guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hiii guys! Hope you all enjoyed the holidays and had a very happy new year! Anyone who has sent the deposit in already - has NYCOM cashed your check yet. Also, if so, about how long did it take them to do so after you sent it in.

Thanks for the help!

Hiii guys! Hope you all enjoyed the holidays and had a very happy new year! Anyone who has sent the deposit in already - has NYCOM cashed your check yet. Also, if so, about how long did it take them to do so after you sent it in.

Thanks for the help!
I also sent in my deposit, It took them a long time to cash, but i called them to make sure they received it...

yeah, i just called to see if they received the check.. and they did!

This may be a lil premature, but does anyone know if most NYCOM students take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX or if most just take the COMLEX?....

this also seems crazy to think about so soon but has anyone started to consider housing?

this also seems crazy to think about so soon but has anyone started to consider housing?

I'm considering housing. I'm going to look at various listings in the area in the coming weeks, as well as searching for roomies. :D

This may be a lil premature, but does anyone know if most NYCOM students take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX or if most just take the COMLEX?....

You'll have to take (and pass) the COMLEX before starting your third year rotations. You also have the option of taking the USMLE and many of us do. It all depends on what you want to go into and where in the country you plan to do it.

You'll have to take (and pass) the COMLEX before starting your third year rotations. You also have the option of taking the USMLE and many of us do. It all depends on what you want to go into and where in the country you plan to do it.

I always found it unfortunate that we have to decide on whether to take the USMLE before we even set foot in a hospital on a rotation. How do I know if I'll be definitely going for ortho or optho and require a USMLE vs. internal, all by 2nd year?

Welcome to the NYCOM family Class of 2013!!!!!:):highfive::soexcited::clap::claps:

I'm innnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!! Nycom 2013 :D:D:D

heyy guys -- does anyone know when NYCOM sends more information (ie loans, housing etc.)?

^^^i'd like to know that as well. I submitted my medical forms. The only thing i have yet to submit are my transcripts.

Also, to any current NYCOM students (who probably dont check this thread) is there like a test schedule that you can post? And i know it will vary year to year, but i'd still like to know.

Thanks!!

thank you for saying that! -- i almost forgot about the transcript (that would help!) ... anyone know exactly where that should be mailed to? ... is it the office of admissions?

thanks again!

thank you for saying that! -- i almost forgot about the transcript (that would help!) ... anyone know exactly where that should be mailed to? ... is it the office of admissions?

thanks again!
should be mailed to the office of admissions/serota academic center room 203

must be mailed out before july 15th!!!

Congratulations from a fourth year NYCOMer. It's a decent school. Take care of the place, I'm on my way out. :D

^^^i'd like to know that as well. I submitted my medical forms. The only thing i have yet to submit are my transcripts.

Also, to any current NYCOM students (who probably dont check this thread) is there like a test schedule that you can post? And i know it will vary year to year, but i'd still like to know.

Thanks!!

http://www.savefile.com/files/2008971

you're in luck. caught us after our exams :)

Did anyone else get a strong foreboding feeling when looking at that schedule?...

thanks a million!!

guess it will be kinda hard to plan a wedding and getting married...:(

my pleasure. planning anything that takes longer than a few days will be tricky. it's not that you have no time at all per-se to yourself, but right after the test by the time you recover it's almost time to start studying for the next one.

you are marrying medical school :)

thanks a million!!

guess it will be kinda hard to plan a wedding and getting married...:(

nope, not at all. i got engaged in the spring of my first year and i'm getting married in a little over a month. it's honestly completely doable if you take everything one day at a time. (i've managed to plan a wedding while studying for boards, doing research, being on an e-board and keeping up with class, just for perspective.)

nope, not at all. i got engaged in the spring of my first year and i'm getting married in a little over a month. it's honestly completely doable if you take everything one day at a time. (i've managed to plan a wedding while studying for boards, doing research, being on an e-board and keeping up with class, just for perspective.)

speaking of the devil, this is something that I've been thinking about more and more since 1st year is coming to an end relatively soon. when did you start studying for boards and what do you think is a good time table to do everything?

speaking of the devil, this is something that I've been thinking about more and more since 1st year is coming to an end relatively soon. when did you start studying for boards and what do you think is a good time table to do everything?

Keep up with First Aid during first year (annotate, etc). Give it a read over the summer. Make sure you have the other review books that you want. Keep up with annotating through the first half of second year and then over winter break or so, start buckling down. I put in about an hour a day studying either FA, Goljan Path or BRS Physio. If you guys have the same schedule as we do (who knows, NYCOM likes to change things up on a regular basis) then you'll have plenty of time to study when school gets out as well. Our last exam is May 3 and we have to take the COMLEX (and USMLE if we choose) by June 26.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Keep up with First Aid during first year (annotate, etc). Give it a read over the summer. Make sure you have the other review books that you want. Keep up with annotating through the first half of second year and then over winter break or so, start buckling down. I put in about an hour a day studying either FA, Goljan Path or BRS Physio. If you guys have the same schedule as we do (who knows, NYCOM likes to change things up on a regular basis) then you'll have plenty of time to study when school gets out as well. Our last exam is May 3 and we have to take the COMLEX (and USMLE if we choose) by June 26.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

yes it definitely does. thanks.

To fellow NYCOMers, we are thinking of doing a meet-up in the city on March 7th, if you are interested, let me know or check out our facebook group : )

Greetings classmates!

I just put down my deposit a few days ago and I'm very excited to start at NYCOM in the fall. I'm planning to driving in from Brooklyn and was wondering if anyone else on SDN does a similar commute, and if anybody is interested in car pooling.

Also, I received a packet with a list of student clubs but I didn't see any Neuro or Psych clubs listed. Are there any other Neuro enthusiasts in the house?

Greetings classmates!

I just put down my deposit a few days ago and I'm very excited to start at NYCOM in the fall. I'm planning to driving in from Brooklyn and was wondering if anyone else on SDN does a similar commute, and if anybody is interested in car pooling.

Also, I received a packet with a list of student clubs but I didn't see any Neuro or Psych clubs listed. Are there any other Neuro enthusiasts in the house?

Hey, congrats on your acceptance!

Haha, you sound very similar to me. :D I'm thinking of doing neuro as my specialty, I live in Brooklyn as well, and I may be commuting (still on the fence about whether or not I want to move)...so if I do, I'd definitely be interested in a carpool. :)

Greetings classmates!

Eudjinn does. I'm sure he'll reply to this thread or PM him. There are several people I know that commutes from Queens/Brooklyn/Bronx.

I think there are not so many Neuro enthusiasts here since the Neuro unit is a huge pain in the ass. I'm sure there would probably be an anti-neuro club before a pro-neuro even exists :laugh: Or you can go start one when you get to NYCOM... :thumbup:

hi my name is eudjinn, i commute from brooklyn and i liked neuro...

i do not like heme/immune

hi my name is eudjinn, i commute from brooklyn and i liked neuro...

i do not like heme/immune

Wait till you get to derm...at the end of the year your apathy level will be high, the weather will be nice, and skin pathology is boring as hell! :laugh: That was a month of living hell for me.

Wait till you get to derm...at the end of the year your apathy level will be high, the weather will be nice, and skin pathology is boring as hell! :laugh: That was a month of living hell for me.

my apathy level has been steadily rising since the end of Neuro 2, good sir. :)

I think it took me almost a full week after the end of neuro 3 to finally get back into some study mode... I am not worried as I realize this is pretty normal.

For some reason, I feel as though skin path will be more fun than heme/immune. Neuro I actually remember being excited for certain lectures... not so much anymore...

How goes board prep and what is up with the "let's make board study even more annoying by taking away streaming"?

Hey SemiColon & Eudjinn,

I'm excited to hear we're in the same boat! I'm looking forward to meeting you all! Would anyone be interested in a Brooklyn meetup?

I just found a parking garage near my apartment. It's expensive but less soul-crushingly so than I'd imagined. I'm trying to think of what I should do to prepare for the beginning of the year.

I hear that laptops are exceptionally useful. I'm a Mac fan, and one of the sales people at the Apple store was showing me how to switch between OSX and Windows. Does anyone use a Mac to stream the lectures? Are there any PC/Mac compatibility issues at NYCOM to look out for?

FlyinTiger, I got the impression from the student I talked to during my visit that they were not fans of the neuro unit. What is it that makes it so un-appealling? Honestly, as an excited incoming student it all sounds dreamy. Skin pathology? I say bring it on! So I'm very curious about the day to day life of a NYCOM student as it's actually lived.

So I'm very curious about the day to day life of a NYCOM student as it's actually lived.

A Day in the life of a NYCOM student, for a first year anyways, is pretty dull. Go to class or lab (depending on the day) in the AM, sometimes (like today) lectures end at 5 in the afternoon. Other days, we only have lab and we are done at noon. After class most go home (or study in the study room or the libaray) and most study till bed. Wake up and repeat. We had tests just about every 2 weeks during neuro. After tests, most people drank and got stupid. Also that weekend after the tests many go out to the city and hang out and drink and get stupid. But the week before an exam is basically Sleep, Eat, Class, Eat, Class, Study, Sleep ect ect. Not much fun. And this cycle repeats it self every 2 or 3 weeks.

Some people decide to skip the whole going to class thing (though attendance is mandatory) and just come to class when they have labs, DPR, ICC or other things that require you to actually show your face. The rest of the time, they are at home on their computer streaming the lectures and studying.

Again, as you can see, the day in the life of a nycom student is oh so fun! :sleep:

Oh, i forgot to add. You could also just not care like some people do. Have a life and just cram the weekend before an exam and barely pass (not recommended).

Last edited: